Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Philips 50" Plasma TV

• 12-04-2008 11:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭

http://www.didstore.com/store_detail.asp?modelcode=50PFP5532D&subid=196

I saw this in DID Eletrical today for €1360 which seems like a bargain to me but I will admit that I am not the most clued up person when it comes to HD TV systems.

So.....is this a bargain or does anyone have any other suggestions for a plasma this size?

cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭IamBeowulf

http://www.powercity.ie/?par=10-14-50322

Same model, cheaper online price. Check out the Samsung plasma above that, for 1209 I believe? I personally prefer Samsung...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Julez

If your going big and spending big'ish' you might aswel shop about and go 1080p, or wait just a little while and get a good price on a Full HD tv.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

The same TV is in Harvery Normans for 1,300.. Picked up the 50inch Samsung one last week for 1,399. We are absolutely delightled with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

Julez wrote: »
    If your going big and spending big'ish' you might aswel shop about and go 1080p, or wait just a little while and get a good price on a Full HD tv.

Is that Philips not a HD telly then? What should I be looking for? Like I said, I'm not that clued up on HD stuff.

cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Its "HD ready" alright but it is'nt "Full HD", The only full hd plasma's are panasonic selected models.Personally, if i were buying a plasma(which i would'nt), panasonic and pioneer are the only brands i would consider.There the only 2 brands that make plasma's according to a plasma's purpose, which is to give blacks as deep as a cinema, IMO.I fyou want a full hd tv at a reasonable price, get an lcd

• Advertisement

Zonda999 wrote: »
    Its "HD ready" alright but it is'nt "Full HD", The only full hd plasma's are panasonic selected models.Personally, if i were buying a plasma(which i would'nt), panasonic and pioneer are the only brands i would consider.There the only 2 brands that make plasma's according to a plasma's purpose, which is to give blacks as deep as a cinema, IMO.I fyou want a full hd tv at a reasonable price, get an lcd

Thanks for the tips Zonda.....it's all very confusing though, sales guy in Harvey Norman told me a couple of weeks ago to buy a plasma not an LCD :confused:

He did mention that the plasma shows up colours better than LCD and said something about picture shudder on the LCD (kind of like a slight delay on fast moving pictures - football, motor racing and the like). He said LCD's were OK upto 40/42 inch, anything above that he recommended a plazma.

So I am even more confused what to get now :(

You hear many pros and cons of each type of tv on boards but in the end i think it all comes down to personal preference.Lcds are probably better for gaming and for hooking up a pc.Opinion is very divided among which is best for general tv watching.Plasma is the best bet if you're a movie buff, the black levels on bluray disks are amazing if you buy a good plasma.Take a good look at both types and get the type you prefer to watch

Yeah, I think a plasma is for me then. Not interested in hooking up a PC or any of that crap upto it.

I love movies so that's what I will be using it for. Looks like I shall have to dish out a bit more for a full HD set then.

cheers

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

keefg wrote: »
    Yeah, I think a plasma is for me then. Not interested in hooking up a PC or any of that crap upto it.

I love movies so that's what I will be using it for. Looks like I shall have to dish out a bit more for a full HD set then.

cheers

Plasmas are supposed to have a much shorter life than LCDs too. Although that could have changed in the 12 months since I bought.

That was certainly the story up to only a few years ago but in fairness, its as good as caught up to lcd.Lcds last about 60k hours and plasma's last about 50k i think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

Plasmas are much better for standard def pictures too, if you havnt made the full move to HD yet seriously consider getting a plasma.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Julez

And if you want to get the best out of blu ray definitly get "Full HD" not "HD Ready".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭vms7ply9t6dw4b

Standard definition is never going to look fantastic on a 50' screen but anyway, New 50' Samsung on the way was due last week but got delayed.

€1499 for full HD.

Advertisement