Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Which would you buy..Golf/A3?!

Options
  • 12-04-2008 11:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭

Im looking to buy a 1.9 tdi Golf or A3.
    Realistically I can only afford an '02/'03 as I'v about €12,000-€14,000 to spend.
    Im just stuck between the two, I don't know which one to buy!
    So im here to ask yer wise opinions on each/what would ye buy if ye were me kinda thing?

Any help/thoughts appreciated!
    Thanks!:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Unless 4 rings on a bonnet and a steering wheel make that much of a difference to you , then it's no contest. Golf.

Though a Focus is a much better can than either.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

E92 wrote: »
    Unless 4 rings on a bonnet and a steering wheel make that much of a difference to you , then it's no contest. Golf.

Why stop there? May as well save more and go for the one with the green and black or S badge. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭FuzzyWuzzyWazza

Golf, over A3, why pay extra just to have the Audi badge?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Fast_Mover wrote: »
    Im looking to buy a 1.9 tdi Golf or A3.
    Realistically I can only afford an '02/'03 as I'v about €12,000-€14,000 to spend.
    Im just stuck between the two, I don't know which one to buy!
    So im here to ask yer wise opinions on each/what would ye buy if ye were me kinda thing?

Any help/thoughts appreciated!
    Thanks!:)

I'll admit to having a bias, but you woulda guessed that anyway...:)

Seriously though, I'd want to know a few things:

Does the car have to be diesel, or do you just like the idea of the diesel Golf?
    Does the badge come into the decision? Are you an Audi fan and you're trying to get some help on the heart vs wallet decision?

Are you looking for a diesel A3 or petrol? You'll get a decent, current model A3 in 1.6 with average mileage or you'll get a current model with high mileage diesel.
    For the same money, you'll get your diesel Golf a year or two younger.

As for the difference in cars, I like both for different reasons.
    I used to drive a Golf Comfortline 1.9TDi 105BHP and I thought it was deadly - nice and nippy, loads of toys (cruise, auto headlights & wipers, decent stereo etc.).

The Audi is a class above the Golf. The materials are better (better plastics, better fit and finish). The drive is better - it's more planted on the road and has better handling.

Any customer I have who's driving a Golf and looking at either a Golf or an A3 is always surprised by how much better the A3 feels on the road, but they often have a problem getting their head around the €5-6k difference in price.
    Any customer I have who's driving an A3 who's looking at either a Golf or an A3 ALWAYS chooses another A3. Unanimously, they say "I couldn't leave my A3, I like it too much".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

OH ill probably get a slating for this, but have you considered a seat Leon (new model)
    Ok the dashboard is a bit silly, but the engines are the same has the same chasis as the golf, feels like a golf, now ive only driven the 1.6 of all the above cars, and i thought they all felt the same.
    Audi slightly more sporty feel to it.
    GOLF and LEON close your eyes tell me the difference! Oh wait you probably shouldn't be driving with you eyes closed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

cabrwab wrote: »
    OH ill probably get a slating for this, but have you considered a seat Leon (new model)
    Ok the dashboard is a bit silly, but the engines are the same has the same chasis as the golf, feels like a golf, now ive only driven the 1.6 of all the above cars, and i thought they all felt the same.
    GOLF and LEON close your eyes tell me the difference! Oh wait you probably shouldn't be driving with you eyes closed!

I was just about to mention the Seat Leon. That would be my choice. :)
    I have driven a 150bhp TDI Leon, I was impressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Or Skoda Octavia.

Not much between it, but that Mk4 Golf is a bit girly for my tastes. (I remember reading somewhere that VW were seriously concerned that the males weren't buying it).

Should have said in my reply - only go Mk V Golf. You can afford it. It's far better than the Mk IV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

First off, thanks for all yer replies!
    AudiChris wrote: »
    Seriously though, I'd want to know a few things:
    Does the car have to be diesel, or do you just like the idea of the diesel Golf?".
    Yeah, it has to be diesel..Im aware diesels have high mileage, but we'v always had diesel cars and having our own diesel tank out the back also helps! (free diesel courtesy of the parents!:D)
    Does the badge come into the decision? Are you an Audi fan and you're trying to get some help on the heart vs wallet decision?".
    The badge doesnt really come into it..Iv never even driven an Audi. The shape/look of it really appeals to me.
    Are you looking for a diesel A3 or petrol?
    I'd also be looking for a diesel A3.

As for yer suggestions on the Skoda Octavia (yes, im aware they have a VW engine!) and the Seat Leon..eh, no thanks! Neither are my cups of tea.
    The only other car that would interest me would be a 3door Corolla but tis hard to come across a diesel one..

I don't mind either of the Mk V or Mk IV golfs..just which ever I can afford really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

What about importing one post July and avail of the lower VRT banding?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Was going to say the same thing, asking all the lads who were talkin about just buyin a badge, would ye buy a Leon??

In my opinion it has to be the Golf (simply for looks). And also i'm biased to Volkwagens.
    http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Volkswagen/Golf/1.9-TDI/936561/
    Depends what ur into

Badge.
    I have a simple rule for myself i would buy a leon over a golf. I have driven both golf and leon and an older A3.
    The leon was the golf and golf was the leon, everything was the same feel about it.

And badge wouldn't bother me.
    But you want to buy a A3 or golf id get a golf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

way better!

What about importing one post July and avail of the lower VRT banding?
    I need a car asap! Can't wait till then.

So it seems the Golf is winning..interesting!
    I hate the Leon with regards the looks departmant so its a defo no no im afraid lads. Not a fan of the focus either! God im not one bit fussy at all now am I?!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

a focus better? I can't tell the difference.

Go test drive them both. See which you prefer yourself. That's the only real way to decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

+1

Audi chris i agre with you there!!
    Stop asking go take them out for a spin so what you like your the only one who can decide.

Go test drive them both. See which you prefer yourself. That's the only real way to decide.
    bigkev49 wrote: »
    +1
    Audi chris i agre with you there!!
    Stop asking go take them out for a spin so what you like your the only one who can decide.

Yeah, was planning to on Friday..Hopefully one will outweigh the other as I hate decision making! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭VeVeX

What exactly is the Focus so much better at?

What car do you drive?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

VeVeX wrote: »
    Everything, unless you're a badge snob as the Ford no doubt has a vastly "inferior" badge and image to the VW/Audi. The interior doesn't feel as well made but it's strictly ironic as the Ford has won awards for it's reliability in Germany, the Golf meanwhile has a 1.4 that I'm reliably informed gives nothing but trouble and it constantly has electrical problems.

As for what I drive, it's something VERY old(8 years old, which is practically an antique in these reg plate snobbery times) and certainly not "cool".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

VeVeX wrote: »

What car do you drive?

Everything!
    Drive one on a bad country road back to back with a golf and the difference will become apparent pretty quickly.Dynamically it wipes the floor with a golf.
    Look at cars of the same age and mileage and the superior durability of the focus will become apparent.
    Its reliability is up there with the Japenese cars while the golf is to say the least suspect.
    Need I go on?
    I drive an mx5 and a van but if I needed a mid size hatch I would go out straight away and buy a focus.

Advertisement