Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fitting Neutrik Speakon connection on back of Crown power amps.

Options
  • 13-04-2008 12:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

I am using Crown Macroteck power amps with crossovers with the standard screw on rear speaker connections. I have to make up four "pig tails" to adapt them for Speakon connections from each amp.

I find these very annoying as the screw in cable connections in the back of the amp come loose or break off regularly in transit or during set up. Since I only use speakon connection is it possible to have the amp modified or a back plate fitted just to take these connections? (My Peavey 1200 amp comes standard with speakon connections).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Dunno if modifying the amp is a good idea unless you really know what you're doing, what about manually installing a patch bay with everything pre-wired and labelled?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Savman wrote: »
    Dunno if modifying the amp is a good idea unless you really know what you're doing, what about manually installing a patch bay with everything pre-wired and labelled?
    That would work fine if I had a more permanent set up, ie fit a back plate on the rear of a flight case, but I am constanty swapping and changing the amps from a 10U case to a smaller 4U case depending on the gig. I would be very slow to do a DIY job on any amp.

Then you're just gonna have to work with the limitations of the amp in the sense that it doesn't have speakon outputs (which I think is mental, but whatever). You've pretty much answered your own dilemma here.

Patchbay would be the simple solution, but you say you need to be able to change things round gig by gig. Short of buying a new amp, I can't think of an Option B offhand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Savman wrote: »
    Patchbay would be the simple solution, but you say you need to be able to change things round gig by gig. Short of buying a new amp, I can't think of an Option B offhand.
    Looks like the patch bay and second amp option, Is there anyone that could supply such? or is it a thing one makes up with a bit of metal plate and a hole saw? It would require 4 x Speakon femail sockets.

DIY on the patchbay should be easy enough, just decide where you want to attach it, wire a couple of Neutriks and away you go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

It really shouldn't be a big job technically. If you're unsure why not go to someone like EQ Audio and Events who would have the expertise and workshop to do the job correctly?

Advertisement