Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2 quick questions, car I'm thinking of buying

Options
  • 13-04-2008 1:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭

Hi

I was wondering could I get a few opinions on this situation. Ive been looking at buying a ford mondeo and from browsing autotrader.co.uk I came up with these two. How do you think they look in your opinion. I am interested in them. Links below:

1st car here

2nd car here

The problem is I don't have all the money to buy the car and I would need another two weeks. Would it be a reasonable request to ask the dealer if I could put down a deposit to secure the car for two weeks. The idea is to head out tomorrow to check the car out and if I like it, put down a deposit on it and then go and collect it with the rest of the money 2 weeks later.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭T J Hooker

each dealer has there own policy when it comes to deposits on cars, as in they will know how much they want per week they are holding it for you, obviously on a non-refundable basis. So I dont think its an unreasonable request if you prepared to put down what they want per week of holding. A deposit is obviously an intention to buy so make sure its the car you want!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I'd say get your finances arranged now, and then go and buy confident and "tooled up".

p.s. Those 2 cars have pretty high mileage.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭conor_mc

I'd say get your finances arranged now, and then go and buy confident and "tooled up".

p.s. Those 2 cars have pretty high mileage.

On the mileage thing, the OMSP doesn't take fair account of this imho. There's a difference of maybe €300 in VRT between a 60k and a 120k miler 2004 mondeo tdci 130.

That'd suggest that the OMSP difference is €1000.... you reckon..?!?? Even in the UK market, the difference would be ~£1500-£2000.

EDIT - just to make sure I'm not talking out my arse, the OMSP difference is €13207 versus €12014 for a July 2004 Zetec model.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭pontovic

I live in London, so when I buy the car I'll take it home 6 months later, so I'll be exempt from paying VRT.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭j4vier

isnt the 6 months period to avoid paying vat , not vrt?
    i tought that if you want to register it in ireland ,everyone has to pay vrt

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Wait till you have ALL the cash you need to do the deal.
    Then, you are in a much stronger position to do a cash deal..........not like you are now.

Re.Mondeos, check for accident damage,Hpi the car,make sure it has a full service history,check rear suspension bushes,check for water ingress@ drivers door into footwell, check A/C works - also check handbrake - i remember having one that when left sitting up for a bit, the handbrake cable got stiff and it common in these I'm told- and could be the case on a car sitting up off road on sale in a garage........check it. Good Engine in these - but make sure its not overly smokey on startups.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

both of them are high mile cars even by mondeo stanards so unless thats motorway mileage.... dont touch them imo

but still , dont you have to pay conjestion charges in london ?? :rolleyes:

Advertisement