Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cheapest way to cool 8800gtx

• 13-04-2008 1:36am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭

Gtx is getting to 90c when playing games, 67c at idle, with the side case off temps drop by 5c and thats with the fire off and fan set to 90%, probably get to 100c with the fire on :D

Case is a Coolermaster Centurion 5

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article200-page1.html

Its the first time I put a decent card into this case, was used as a htpc..

Have had 8800gtx sli and 9800gx2 in my Gigabyte Triton case and temps were much lower, 75 to 80c max on 8800gtx..

Dont want to spend much..

Cheap 120mm under card?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 234 ✭✭skuzzb

90c with the fan maxed out?!Thats huge!

Cheepo style would be to take out all the pci blanker plates and stick a 120mm fan there sucking air in. Then use something (cut up a dvd case or sumthin) to make a little compartment around the fan and gtx intake so its a basic air in air out job.

Try get the 120mm flowrate a tiny bit higher than the gtx so you have positive pressure in the compartment and you should see temps drop a bit.

Also have a look in the heatsink to make sure nothin is clogging up the air flow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Cheapest way would be to use Rivatuner to setup custom fan profiles. I Dropped my 8800GT temps by about 10 degrees load temp doing this. Problem is that stock fan is awful whiney.

Do reviews suggest that the cooling in that case is not up to par? Seems awful hot for a GTX.

You can get a HR-03 PLUS for about €40. Not bad if you can chuck it into someone elses order and have a spare fan handy.

OCUK Linky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Thanks for the quick replies fellas..

@ Voodoo cooler looks the job but shipping makes it way too expensive ( know any one buying), im very suprised by the temps too, all the reviews I saw of the case said it had decent cooling, cpu is 25 to 27c on both cores, system temp is 36c..Will look at rivatuner now to set fans..

@ Skuzzb liking the 120mm fan directly under the graphics card, only have 4 inches to spare though, will a 80mm fan do?

Case is pretty small, I have the cables put away as neatly as I can..

yeh sorry should have said 80mm in the first place!
    Thats the way i have my 8800gts and 7200le (passive) boxed in together.
    It maxes at 72 with a decent overclock and fan only running at 40% too.
    Also i notice the top of it still gets quiet hot. If you look at the EVGA (ACS version i think) they have a big heatsink on the top of it so maybe getting some airflow onto the top of the card would be good.

Do you have an 80mm at the front, then a 120mm at the back and roughly 120mm for the psu? If so the case is under negative pressure so you get good cooling but a bit of dust buildup. (positive pressure gives worse cooling but much cleaner case as dust isnt sucked in through cracks)

From the looks of the pics there the side panel has holes above where your gtx is so the only air getting to your card is from that 80mm fan at the front of the case and asuming you have your hdd's in between, your air is prolly nice and preheated by the time it gets to your card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

take the shroud off the top of the heatsink and place a 12cm fan on top of it.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

My 8800gts 640mb was crazy hot until I put a 92mm intake in the side panel, then I could reduce the cards fan speed a lot also :)

skuzzb wrote: »

Do you have an 80mm at the front, then a 120mm at the back and roughly 120mm for the psu? If so the case is under negative pressure so you get good cooling but a bit of dust buildup. (positive pressure gives worse cooling but much cleaner case as dust isnt sucked in through cracks)

Exactly it, rest of the system besides the graphics is very cool, all average temps..

From the looks of the pics there the side panel has holes above where your gtx is so the only air getting to your card is from that 80mm fan at the front of the case and asuming you have your hdd's in between, your air is prolly nice and preheated by the time it gets to your card.

Yeah 80mm fan is right next to the hdd, I have moved the hard drive down to the last slot and the fan is getting a bit of air to the graphics now, idle is now down from 67c to 60c...

Can you recommend any 80mm fan? Will get on ebay, shipping with komplett etc is too dear..

http://cgi.ebay.ie/Akasa-Super-Lo-noies-80mm-Long-life-18db-2-Bearing-8cm_W0QQitemZ150235932105QQihZ005QQcategoryZ42003QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1713.m153.l1262

11-119-068-06.jpg

@ Conzy would it be ok to place a 92mm fan where it says side vent on the pic above or where should I put it?

Looking at this one, any good?

http://cgi.ebay.ie/Nexus-92mm-Silent-Case-Fan-Quiet-19-2-dB-FREE-Mounts_W0QQitemZ350047778332QQihZ022QQcategoryZ131490QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

www.overclockers.1.jpg

@ L31mr0d I take that off and put fan right in the middle?

Safe?

Ah the pics of the side of the case are different to the ones in the review you showed. If thats the way it is just get a 92mm fan with rubber bolts and youll be able to pass them through the holes you have there on the side, much more secure than my idea tbh! You should be able to get the full range of AKASA fans in PC-World now. Can work out easier than ordering.

I only use sharkoon fans (the low rpm golf ball one's) so thats all i can recommend but can only ever find them in peats. Still havent seen em online.

you can just unscrew the top off the 8800GTX cooler. The only problem is that since most manufactures just took the stock nvidia card and stuck a big sticker with their logo on it you'll have to remove the sticker plate on top before getting access to the screws. Once you peel off this sticker plate, unscrew the shroud and place a 12cm fan over the heatsink. It will look like this with the shroud removed.

attachment.php?attachmentid=29345&d=1197165742

How does that cooler perform with a standard fan mounted in it? Pretty badly im guessing seen as they don't work in the same way as the blower fans....

Anywhoo a fan mounted on the inside of the case where it says "side vent" would be good and you could even make a shroud from, plastic, cardboard or whatever that delivered air straight to the card and just use RivaTuner or something to force the cards fan to 60% or so, its a good balance of sound / performance....

• Advertisement

Thanks very much lads, going to go down to pc world tomorrow to see what 120mm fan I can get, will try both methods..

Im guessing L31mr0d idea will cool the card the most...

If I can get the cards down 10c at full load I'll be happy, currently at 83c full load now with the 80mm fan position in front of it...

Going to get this one if Pc World have nothing, comes with rubber plugs to attach to case, is 1000rpm enough though?

Nexus 120mm Silent Case Fan

http://cgi.ebay.ie/Nexus-120mm-12cm-Case-Fan-Silent-Quiet-FREE-Mounts_W0QQitemZ290221684414QQihZ019QQcategoryZ131491QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://www.mikhailtech.com/content/view/244/28/

This one is 1500rpm, smaller and less noisy, up to the job?

http://cgi.ebay.ie/Nexus-92mm-Silent-Case-Fan-Quiet-19-2-dB-FREE-Mounts_W0QQitemZ350047022218QQihZ022QQcategoryZ131490QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Or get a 2000rpm akasa

http://www.dabs.ie/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=3035

Noise isnt a problem, I always wear headphones..

conzymaher wrote: »
    How does that cooler perform with a standard fan mounted in it? Pretty badly im guessing seen as they don't work in the same way as the blower fans....

no that picture was just to show what the heatsink looks like with the shroud off, you wouldn't/couldn't mount the 12cm where the original fan was, you'd mount it on top of the fins blowing down directly onto them.

I mean its worth a shot and cheap as chips to set up. If it doesn't work you can always just replace the shroud.

EDIT: Also if noise doesn't bother you, when you've removed the shroud you could pull tie together 2 x 8cm fans side by side and pull tie them over the heatsink, it would probably provide better cooling then just 1 x 12cm fan

I know where you meant, was just wondering if you tried mounting a standard 80mm? fan in the shroud or is that a random pic from the interweb

L31mr0d wrote: »
    no that picture was just to show what the heatsink looks like with the shroud off, you wouldn't/couldn't mount the 12cm where the original fan was, you'd mount it on top of the fins blowing down directly onto them.

I mean its worth a shot and cheap as chips to set up. If it doesn't work you can always just replace the shroud.

EDIT: Also if noise doesn't bother you, when you've removed the shroud you could pull tie together 2 x 8cm fans side by side and pull tie them over the heatsink, it would probably provide better cooling then just 1 x 12cm fan

Right I am going to order two of these, will put one on side of the case and one on the card..

http://www.nexustek.nl/NXS-nexus120mmrealsilentcasefan.htm

If you don't care about noise why don't you get yourself a 12cm Delta fan ;)

220CFM :D and this isn't even their fastest fan

I had those fans before, they are excellent and actually silent, they dont move a lot of air, but they are still pretty good airflow wise...

L31mr0d wrote: »
    If you don't care about noise why don't you get yourself a 12cm Delta fan ;)

220CFM :D and this isn't even their fastest fan

Where can I get one of those?

If all else fails, something like this should do the job

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hogndB5vd0

Advertisement