Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vista SP1 - USB issues

• 13-04-2008 2:29am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I just notice since I installed SP1 over my Vista Home Premium, no new USB devices can be added any more. Once a device is plugged in, Vista will detect it but will not install any drivers, will look into Windows Update, etc but that's it. Also appear to happen, existing device (those installed before SP1 rolled) still works but Vista will keep asking to look drivers every time they get plugged in.

Argh, I'm so confused - is the driver database corrupted? If so, how do I rebuild it again without having to reinstall Vista? A fresh install seems to be a lot of work, not too mention to reinstall everything else again! :mad:

Any help is much appreciated. Many thanks.

Regards,
    Marty

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

not sure if this would work
    system restore to backup current config
    unplug USB devices
    then in device manager delete all usb controllers and hope it picks them up again if not give it two boots and if still no joy back in to system restore so you can get back to where you started from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

Thanks Captain,

found another way to get around it which i read somewhere, whether it's temporary solution or a not-to-do thing - i've no slightest idea!

when it asked to locate driver automatically or point it to swhere, i chose to point it to c:\windows\winsxs. it will find the drivers but give a warning that it's not a microsoft digitally signed drivers - just ignore that.

so for the moment it works, i manage to use a memory card ready and a digital camera. i've no idea why such things happen but it could be a corrupted INFcache.1 file. There is a microsoft hotfix but that only applies to pre-SP1 Vista.

Cheers,
    Marty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 995 ✭✭✭cousin_borat

Each time you plug in a new device you need to go to the control panel => Device manager and find the device with the ? beside it. Choose upgrade driver and point Windows to
    C:\windows\system32
    directory. Vista should then automatically detect the device. I've had to do it for my IPod, printer, mouse, ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,961 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Breaking News:

http://gizmodo.com/380632/vista-update-scrambling-usb-devices-sp1-auto+rollout-stalled
    An update that went out last week for Vista to patch security holes in Windows Defender (ironically) is apparently knocking out some USB devices like mice and keyboards, so that they stop working entirely. Microsoft actually admits the issue: "We are aware of concerns that a recent Microsoft update may be causing problems with USB devices. We are investigating the matter, and at this time, do not have any information to share." So you might wanna skip that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

Hi all,

Just an update to the above issue, had been unto Microsoft support for few weeks and this week they came up with the following :confused:
    ACTION PLAN: Please uninstall service pack 1 from the computer.

1. Click start->all programs->accessories->system tools->system restore. Restore your computer to an earlier time when SP1 was not installed.

2. Download and save the sp1 standalone package on the desktop. http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=b0c7136d-5ebb-413b-89c9-cb3d06d12674&DisplayLang=en

3. Uninstall all the antivirus.

4. Boot the computer in safe mode and install SP1 on the computer.

5. Reboot the computer in the normal mode and check for the issue.

DISCLAIMER: MICROSOFT WILL NOT HELP YOU INSTALL ANY THIRD PARTY SOFTWARE

Seriously, :confused: I never thought of that? It comes close to reformatting and reinstalling Vista, then I need to reconfigure every single other application installed after SP1 all over again. Ugghh, I'd expect a top level support from a top company.

• Advertisement
Advertisement