Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike Building Project

Options
  • 13-04-2008 9:14am
    Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks,
    I've decided to do a couple of bike builds this year and thought I'd post about it. This is the first one, which is going to be a bike for my better half. It's a Cinelli Xperience, alumuinum frame with carbon forks. While I've stripped down my own bike before, this is the first time I've built up a frame from scratch, so it should be an interesting learning experience. So far all I've done is get the steering tube cut and the threads chased.

I'll post more pics when its built up.

2409038411_9f488832a3.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

This could be very interesting to see the process through.

Lovin the shot of the frame on your balcony :)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Yeah, I've a limited work space. Got a good bit of work done on it today. Not finished yet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

im planning on a bike build myself as i have to learn about bike building, anyone recommend any good reading for tips and advice

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,375 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

E@gle. wrote: »
    im planning on a bike build myself as i have to learn about bike building, anyone recommend any good reading for tips and advice

The Harris Cyclery and Park Tool websites are definitely worth a look and two books I found useful:

Haynes Bike Book

The Long Distance Cyclists Handbook

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

E@gle. wrote: »

The only bike maintenance book I've got is in Spanish (long story). I've learned most from the web. Like Hermy I'd recommend Sheldon Brown (Harris Cyclery) and Park. The bike maintenance forum on bikeforums.net is pretty good too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭fergalr

So far all I've done is get the steering tube cut and the threads chased.
    The BB threads chased? Just curious, did you do this yourself - if so, have you spent a lot on tools?

fergalr wrote: »
    The BB threads chased? Just curious, did you do this yourself - if so, have you spent a lot on tools?

Nope, I dropped it into a shop to get it done. Tapping and facing kit costs around €700, which is just too much for something you're only going to be doing once in a blue moon.

Finished it within a few days, but only getting around to taking pics of it now:

2593630618_aed645c142_b.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

nice job. lovely looking bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Hmm. I think I see where your Wilier's bits went now ;-)

Nice bike, good result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

blorg wrote: »

It's the usual isn't it... "hey honey, I'm going to make you up a really nice bike, because I love you and you're worth it", then out you go, upgrade your ride and give her the old stuff :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

Nice bike, along with the Bianchi and the Wilier you've a fine stable on the trot.

Can I ask did you do everything yourself, or draft in some assistance with the likes of bottom brackets and headsets?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Nice looking bike :)

Thanks all
    blorg wrote: »

Blorg: internet detective
    It's the usual isn't it... "hey honey, I'm going to make you up a really nice bike, because I love you and you're worth it", then out you go, upgrade your ride and give her the old stuff :)

Heh. It was the other way around. Had the parts lying around for a while and was thinking about eBaying them when she said she wouldn't mind a road bike.
    beans wrote: »
    Can I ask did you do everything yourself, or draft in some assistance with the likes of bottom brackets and headsets?

On the Cinelli, I got a shop to face the bottom bracket and cut the steering tube, but did everything else. With the Pista (posted in the Images of Beauty thread) I went a step further and cut the steerer myself.

Advertisement