Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Straight copy backup software

• 13-04-2008 11:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know of any backup software that will just do a straight copy of files to an external drive ?

I'm using Vista's backup which is great & does the job but I need to be able to view the files on the drive, not the compressed backup set.

Free would be preferable.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Vista's backup compresses !

Dos 5 didn't , and NtBackup for NT , 2000, Xp, 2003 doesn't compress, all it does is put the files one after an other in microsoft tape format (mft)

on earlier versions you open the back program into restore and choose the option to catalog and browse to the file.

Other than that have a look at robocopy - a utility to replicate files from one drive to another - set retries and wait to low values.

robocopy c: d:\backup *.* /mir

And very important you will NEED to backup the system state with a proper backup program or ntbackup if you want the registry to work again. - so do that as WELL

Alternatively you can backup off line , ie. when windows is not running by using various cloning programs, again they will generate a single image you can't see into :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 437 ✭✭Spunj

Try SyncBack Freeware from http://www.2brightsparks.com/freeware/freeware-hub.html

I use it myself and it does a lot. From the site:

"SyncBack is our freeware program that helps you easily backup and synchronize your files to: the same drive; a different drive or medium (CDRW, CompactFlash, etc); an FTP server; a Network; or a Zip archive."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Thanks chaps !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭JDxtra

+1 for Robocopy.

Very customisable if you don't mind using command switches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭tech

Cobian Backup software

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

JDxtra wrote: »
    +1 for Robocopy.

Very customisable if you don't mind using command switches.
    technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/cc160891.aspx
    there is a "GUI" which fills in the command switches for you
    but you still have to know what they do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Spunj wrote: »
    Try SyncBack Freeware from http://www.2brightsparks.com/freeware/freeware-hub.html

I use it myself and it does a lot. From the site:

"SyncBack is our freeware program that helps you easily backup and synchronize your files to: the same drive; a different drive or medium (CDRW, CompactFlash, etc); an FTP server; a Network; or a Zip archive."

Thanks for this. An excellent piece of software & amazingly free. My only problem is that it continually syncs the two drives so if I delete something it is automatically replaced leading to full drives, but that's most probably my doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I use Karens Replicator myself. Just prefer the way I can control the sync better. I'd love to write my own as I find all of the sync applications a bit clunky.

Advertisement