Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How does the infraction system work?

Options
  • 13-04-2008 12:01pm

Hiya.Just received an infraction.Was wondering how the system works.What is it compared to a ban?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

It's basically a warning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Does it work like penalty points?

Three infractions for minor offences equals a ban?

Suppose a mod is considering a ban for something.
    Would someone with lots of infractions be banned as they've clocked up infractions and a bad reputation but the mod might be more forgiving with a first time offender?

I have received two now.My last one was in 2007.Is there a set number before you are banned?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I believe I read here earlier that basically it's used as a muppet radar, if someone has loads of infractions and comes to the attention of the local moditron, they end up banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

If you get 9 current infractions (or ten, I can't remember) then you get sitebanned automatically. Your infraction will probably stay for around 10 days or so and will then expire.

Although the infractions will expire they will stay on your profile and give a kind of credit rating if you like, a user rating, and bear in mind that a mod may review your history to decide on punishment if you act up on their forum. Although it's possible that they will take you on your actions solely in the forum they are acting upon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Gordon wrote: »
    If you get 9 current infractions (or ten, I can't remember) then you get sitebanned automatically. Your infraction will probably stay for around 10 days or so and will then expire.

Although the infractions will expire they will stay on your profile and give a kind of credit rating if you like, a user rating, and bear in mind that a mod may review your history to decide on punishment if you act up on their forum. Although it's possible that they will take you on your actions solely in the forum they are acting upon.

Which is why I can never understand why moderators say "it's only an infraction"

They follow you around like a bad smell for the lifetime of your profile

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I agree that they shouldn't be handed out lightly. They can be reversed by an SMod or Admin, so if someone feels hard done by they should bring it to feedback or the helpdesk.

My current one was soft but deserved as it was the politics forum.I can see how you could build up infractins easily and som mods judging you by that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

I agree that they shouldn't be handed out lightly. They can be reversed by an SMod or Admin, so if someone feels hard done by they should bring it to feedback or the helpdesk.
    One question on this. If they are reversed they are null and void? They are ignored by mods when they are making a decision about a user?

If they are reversed, they drop off your profile.

I never bother to check infractions before I 'mod' someone.. but then I mod two quiet and well behaved forums. In AH or somewhere, I can see them being much more useful.

• Advertisement

If they are reversed, they drop off your profile.
    I don't think so unless the admins search for them and delete them.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

If we reverse them they show 'Reversed' and you lose that point you would have otherwise had anyway.

<3 infractions/warnings for records.

Sparky-s wrote: »
    If we reverse them they show 'Reversed' and you lose that point you would have otherwise had anyway.

<3 infractions/warnings for records.
    Yes that's true but they stay on your profile afaik. Hopefully they wouldn't be misread by a mod in a hurry. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 83,213 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

It used to be a mod would give me warning in a thread or by PM. But then you rack up your first and second and then suddenly it starts snowballing: I've gotten 4 in the last week as a result. Just blatant red-card infractions: there seems to be no point in having yellow cards at all if they arent going to use them. To be honest out of all of those I only really expected a red card out of Maximillian's infraction but he was quite forgiving about the whole thing. I wouldnt mind if an SMod had a read over my last 4 though just to see what they think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

talking of infractions i also have them as well.The question is do they dissapear after so long as you dont do anything stupid?I can see my infractions when i click on my own profile and do the the other members see my record of infractions or is it just the mods?(just out of curiosity:))because a member could bring up my subject that i was infracted on a post would make me upset,get the gist of it.Ive looked at alot of members profiles and they got infracted or banned and i dont see any records.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 83,213 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Only moderators and up can see your infractions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

davey180 wrote: »
    talking of infractions i also have them as well.The question is do they dissapear after so long as you dont do anything stupid?I can see my infractions when i click on my own profile and do the the other members see my record of infractions or is it just the mods?(just out of curiosity:))because a member could bring up my subject that i was infracted on a post would make me upset,get the gist of it.Ive looked at alot of members profiles and they got infracted or banned and i dont see any records.:cool:

I have reversed the rather large infraction which I gave you prior to Christmas. It was for an adverts violation at the time, and is no longer topical.

Your infractions are only viewable by mods or those higher up the food chain.

I have reversed the rather large infraction which I gave you prior to Christmas. It was for an adverts violation at the time, and is no longer topical.

Your infractions are only viewable by mods or those higher up the food chain.
    thats funny i got a post from a member mentioning my infractions and bans im sure it wasnt from a mod?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Let's not go there again.

Let's not go there again.
    no i wont RoundyMooney its not worth it:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

:pac:Dont mean to turn this into a have i got any thread... but have i got any? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Nope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

You have now...

Just kidding :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

got one in the politcs forum a few days ago... don't think that an infraction was totally deserved but it was only one point so I'm not gonna go fretting about it...

....good system tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

There are two kinds of infractions. Warnings and actual infractions.

The warnings have no effect on your account beyond leaving a record of what you may of did at that time. 10 real infractions will cause you to be automatically sitebanned. It is to stop muppet spammers when admins are off getting their usual 3 hour sleep.

As I understand it the points expire after a set time. The history of the infraction is recorded for all mods/admins to see and comment on.

Hobbes wrote: »
    There are two kinds of infractions. Warnings and actual infractions.

The warnings have no effect on your account beyond leaving a record of what you may of did at that time. 10 real infractions will cause you to be automatically sitebanned. It is to stop muppet spammers when admins are off getting their usual 3 hour sleep.

As I understand it the points expire after a set time. The history of the infraction is recorded for all mods/admins to see and comment on.

Technically, could a rogue mod get a user sitebanned by infracting them ten times in a row so?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

SDooM wrote: »
    Technically, could a rogue mod get a user sitebanned by infracting them ten times in a row so?
    Yep, but they'd have some explaining to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭buckfast4me

Rofl @ this "Infraction" sh1te yas aren't judges in a court of law like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

SDooM wrote: »
    It could happen but I dare not think of the consequences for said rogue mod. :eek:

• Advertisement

Yep, but they'd have some explaining to do.

Thats why I said rogue.

*Keeps an eye on 6th*

Advertisement