Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How does the infraction system work?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Rofl @ this "Infraction" sh1te yas aren't judges in a court of law like.
    200px-JudgeRoySnider.jpg

Case dismissed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭buckfast4me

can mods infraction other mods yes? I have some "friends" in the business,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Not that I am aware of, unless it was changed recently and I've forgotten.

Case closed..
    250px-LionelHutz.jpg

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

AFAIK mods are just regular users outside of their own forums, so yup, I would say.

EDIT: I'd definitely trust Ruu over me on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,214 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Rofl @ this "Infraction" sh1te yas aren't judges in a court of law like.

Theyre the judges and executors of this land however.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

I have some "friends" in the business,
    and?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

SDooM wrote: »
    AFAIK mods are just regular users outside of their own forums, so yup, I would say.

EDIT: I'd definitely trust Ruu over me on this one.
    While you are right about the mods being users outside of their own forums vbulletin isn't made that way (Boards has hacks installed to make it that way). In vbulletin mods are mods everywhere on the site (I think) so vbulletin doesn't allow for them to be infracted. Smods and admins should be able to infract mods though.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Hyperchicken.JPG

Case closed?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

While you are right about the mods being users outside of their own forums vbulletin isn't made that way (Boards has hacks installed to make it that way). In vbulletin mods are mods everywhere on the site (I think) so vbulletin doesn't allow for them to be infracted. Smods and admins should be able to infract mods though.

And yet mods of one forum can ban a mod of another forum from the (first) forum? But can't ban their fellow mods of their own forum (if I'm remembering a discussion on AH around Christmas correctly). Which would suggest some kind of differentiation is in place ... unless ofc I'm remembering that all wrong, which is also possible!! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Just to clarify.

I am the cause of he OPs post. The infraction was indeed a soft infraction, however, I mean that in the sense that sensible regular posters should use the report post function and not troll errant or wayward first time posters.

I don't see the infraction system as anything more serious than a PM from a mod. The difference is, that many new or inexperienced users will respond to a PM warning with contempt, they don't recognise or understand the boards system and to paraphrase Cartman (who lives nearby me) they have not learned respect for boards.ie authority.

The infraction system serves to offer a more formal way of repremanding these users. It is certainly more formal than me sending someone a PM telling them what they did was unaccetable, because it is a boards.ie generated message. In addition, all other mods can see my infraction message, so my comments to a user are on record and prevent me from abusing my position and offer clarity on any user claims of me abusing my position via PM.

In the case of Mods, an infraction is not as important. Most mods here know my ways and know my methods. While they may not like or respect me, they certainly know that my warning is not a trivial matter (as I understand that a warning from any other mod is not a trivial matter).

So imho, the infraction method serves two purposes. It offers a degree of formality to the mod-user moderation process, which prevents personalities from escalating issues, and it allows a mod an alternative to a straight out banning, especially useful from my point of view, as soccer and politics are strictly moderated boards.

• Advertisement
Advertisement