Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

another for the oldies

• 13-04-2008 12:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭

as a married man with 3 children both myself and my wife work so reasonably comfortable financially i play alot online 15 to 30 hours a week and win a modest amount of money avergeing $1600 amonth since i started 3 years ago

my question is how much if any do i give the missus
    ps she s watching this thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭Requiem4adream

Obviously not qualified to answer this but i'd be leaning towards 0 - mainly because if you had a few losing months i wouldnt expect her to cover half of the losses. I'm sure they see the benefits of ya killing the odd tournament you play anyway!!

Actually here's a good question - if you want to jack in the job and play full time, what would she think? If it was a full time 'job' then i'd probably give her half mainly because if you had losing months it'd be her keeping the ship afloat!

I'd be very interested to hear from people in a similar situation and their other half's views on poker! jackyback etc

ps. remind me not to rush out and get a wife n kids anytime soon lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭lee_arama

Well sir,

I applaud the missus for allowing you to play poker whilst engaged in marriage. Fortunate myself that my better half is a poker player herself.

Hmmmm. Well I have to assume that you're in a line of work where you earn a reasonable amount, poker withstanding. After all, you have time to play, whilst not feeling the need to chill out with beers and telly like many joes might in a regular job.

So, having said that I'm guessing you and your family want for naught?

Meaning that the 1600 is all yours as such, that there's no real geas upon you to share the proceeds? Does the wife realise that one bad week might cripple your online roll for a few weeks? Does she understand that you can't simply fork over X euro and be in a position to play at the same stakes during subsequent sessions?

I think that a holiday is the answer. Use perhaps 4-5000 dollars of your yearly profit to have a great fortnight away in the sun. Somewhere with poker, but plenty else to do. Somewhere that the wife will appreciate, along with the children.

How about a driving tour of France? Down through the Vendee region, through Avignon, Marseille, Nice and Cannes, and then the final 5 days in Monte Carlo??? I bet that'd push everyones buttons...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Glowingmind

Like r4ad, totally not qualified to answer, but....

How does the money from your full time jobs get divided up? Or does it all just go into a shared account?

Because you're not playing profesionally, i suppose you could look on it as a hobby equivalent to playing golf, with the bankroll being the membership fee for the year. Are you winnings all going towards just building a bankroll or are you taking some off the top for toher things, if so then I suppoase they should be treated in the same way as the money from your full time job.

Simple solution, get your missus playing too and share the wins and losses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,771 ✭✭✭TommyGunne

Transfer 90% of the profits every couple of days to another (private)account. Give her half of the 10% she knows about. Move up levels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭KINGofHEARTS

I got 2 words for you

PUSSY WHIPPED

• Advertisement

Proper debate please!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭KINGofHEARTS

And you're the 1 with the cheek to want a proper debate in your thread. GTFO.

Cheek ??? calm down will ya, it was clearly meant as a joke

"My thread" as you put it, was about idiots who were abusing (and NOT joking) a 19 year old girl for being overweight and ugly,

Slight comparison don't ya think there wee Daniel

Cheek ??? calm down will ya, it was clearly meant as a joke

"My thread" as you put it, was about idiots who were abusing (and NOT joking) a 19 year old girl for being overweight and ugly,

Slight comparison don't ya think there wee Daniel

Editted quote! Just saying i think he wants a proper debate - "pussy whipped" isnt exactly Shakespeare! carry on...

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Russh

To begin with, your giving her too much...

I've been freezing to death in live tournaments lately...(since Galway), but going deep, so not playing enough cash and not cashing in said tournaments...this has been a major problem for more than just the obivious reasons...

You see....Her indoors has become accustomed to getting her regular slice of the winnings(usually the same amount and in no way related to prize money:rolleyes:s or winnings), but I've made a fatal mistake in not inventing a win or cash...She's gone cuckoo on poker lately, and the mere mention of it is unhealthy...

Lesson learned....If you win give her something...If you lose, pretend you win and give her something... Re: live games....

online...20% -25% is loads....

P.S. Thats a right job ya have there.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 jayhawk

What a ridiculous question. Are you only 40 percent married? Are the kids only one-quarter yours? You wash the socks, she washes the underwear? You want a discount on your vows and a new, post-nuptial agreement, because you’ve had a modest run of good fortune playing a game (at the expense of playing with your children)?

She’s your partner. Or she isn’t.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭bops

aarymark wrote: »
    as a married man with 3 children both myself and my wife work so reasonably comfortable financially i play alot online 15 to 30 hours a week and win a modest amount of money avergeing $1600 amonth since i started 3 years ago

my question is how much if any do i give the missus
    ps she s watching this thread

WOW! a thread that i know what i'm taking about for a change!

Firstly, congrats on having an honest and open relationship with your understanding wife.

What I would recommend is that it's your $$ (as in your families), you should all enjoy it in terms of holidays and treats etc. Maybe you, yourself should get to enjoy some of it in 1/2 large live buy-in events each year (eg an EPT/IO)

just make sure that you don't enjoy it too much and let your online BR go elbusto!!

gl

jayhawk wrote: »
    What a ridiculous question. Are you only 40 percent married? Are the kids only one-quarter yours? You wash the socks, she washes the underwear? You want a discount on your vows and a new, post-nuptial agreement, because you’ve had a modest run of good fortune playing a game (at the expense of playing with your children)?

Lol....bit of an understatement...

That's an unfair presumption to make.....and totally incorrect...!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Icarus152

I play live 3/4 nights a week aswell as working a regular job. For this luxury I am happy to %50 partner tax.

Spread the Love I says.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭StephenInsane

You're seriously disadvantaging yourself if you're withdrawing just to keep her happy. Keep as much of it as you want online.

Do you have a joint account? Would the money you withdraw not be going straight in here anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭aarymark

nice reply. well let me start by saying i give my wife 50%of every thing i withdraw straight away and she normally gets the rest as well with 50 for this 100 for that only ever keeping a couple of ks in my roll which i dont mind in fact i think its great that my kids can have the best of everything also im a coach on my sons football team which entails 1 evening a saturday morning and weekly matchs as well as the 2 boys being members of the local golf and snooker clubs which i bring them too at least once a week the reason i asked the question is because my friends think im mad giving it all away

ps the girl is 21 has other things on her mind than playing with me so gfys

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 482 ✭✭Mont

Stupid thread - ban

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭luckylucky

I was in a similar spot to yourself 3 - 4 years ago I was doing modestly well out of poker. I wasn't giving my wife/partner(married last 3 years to her) a % as such. I just paid for things with my poker money, virtually all our expensive outlays were paid for by my ill gotten gains ;). I think taking 50% of your winnings out and giving them to the missus seems OTT tbh, is she going to give you money back if you have a losing month :p. Do you have ambitions to make more than 1600 a month? If so again it's not a helpful situation if you are being curtailed by having to give her such a large chunk, then again perhaps she will invest the money wisely for both of ye?

It's not necessary for you to give her 50% to be fair, I'm sure the winnings will find their way to her in some shape or form anyway.

Though I would recommend trying to work it out as a team, I think your point of view in this instance should take precdence over your wife's. Poker is your hobby, albeit a serious one, it's something you obviously understand better than her, so imo you are better qualified to know what the best approach on it for the two of you, taking her opinions on board of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭robinblinds

Do you play cash or tournaments?

If its mostly tournaments, give her half the buy ins back that the end of each month.

If its cash, buy the groceries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

I donate 10% of my monthly winnings to what I like to call the "shoes and handbag fund"

however I've also paid for a trip to New York in September and a couple of weeks in Cape Town in December, so my 10% is a bit of a false economy! ;)

Interestingly in any month where I've had a run of bad luck and finished up down (because it would have to be bad luck rather than lack of ability) there's no reprocating of the 10% back into my account...go figure!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭acetking

I'm in the same boat myself wife 4 kids no prob playing once I put a few bob on her acct to play also everybody happy ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭El Stuntman

heh, cool thread

My solution is:

- give her nothing (directly). My wife's a successful professional and if she wants to spend her own money on whatever she sees fit, that's good enough for me. Same applies to me!

- spend the winnings on 'fun stuff' that will benefit the whole family. Holidays/Vegas trips/flatscreen TV/restaraunts/wine cellar etc. Even our dog was bought with poker money!

- tell your wife exactly how much you win/lose. I think this is a critical 'safety valve' for anyone who is playing poker at a level where the €€€€ are meaningful. Thankfully Mrs S has only been shocked on the upside (so far ;)).

let's face it, you won't be playing very much if your wife radically disapproves of poker so it's in your best interests to keep her onside - probably the best route is to convert her into a player herself.
    Tried this, didn't work :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Even our dog was bought with poker money!

I nearly choked when i read this :)

Me too!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭lee_arama

We have cats. A giant docile tom and a docile missus tom, along with the birmin seal point who torments them.

Looking at taking two burmese blues off a friend of herself due to incompatibility with a new baby...

Anyway - my initial post stands. Use the funds as you would normal income, that is, to fund holidays which suit you as much as the others.

My ex used to demand I use ALL my cash to pay XYZ when it needed paying. Of course HER cash was never touched, and I didn't realise quite how untouched it was until after we split. GO figure.

A partner is a partner. What's to be gained from hoarding more money unless you have a set goal. If you said you wanted to buy a new BMX/Merc etc by years end then you should be ok to hold onto the lot.

Treat the kids. Kids are cool. Make more of em smile.

Killme00 wrote: »
    I nearly choked when i read this :)

Me too!!!

yes but can yours actually play? :)

dog.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

yes but can yours actually play? :)

dog.jpg

:pac::pac::pac:

No mine doesnt play, although she did eat a copy of Harrington once.

Killme00 wrote: »
    :No mine doesnt play, although she did eat a copy of Harrington once.

hmmm, El Stuntdog chewed a copy of Hellmuth's book up when she was a puppy - testament to her good breeding methinks

Advertisement