Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Playing out of position...

• 13-04-2008 1:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭

Just been listening to Andy and the lads on about "poor" Stevie G being forced to play out on the wing and just wondering if anyone else thinks this is all a loada pants? A good player should be able to affect the game from any position. Being a wide player doesn't stop Ronaldo from scoring goals so why should it be an issue for Gerrard?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Well Ronaldo is naturally a wide player, Gerrard isn't. I'd have thought that was pretty obvious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

well he's playing through the middle today but i'd wager he'll still be anonymous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

If you play all through underage, youth, reserve and the majority of your senior career in one position and you're then asked to change to another position, it's going to be tough for players regardless of how talented they are. Different positions require different attributes.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Some players find it easier to switch positions than others it's just how things are. Hargeraves played wide right last match and was superb. Also it's a bit easier to get away with playing up front as you have no defensive duties (ronaldo) where if you are a normally a striker the drop to midfield brings with it responsibilities that might get forgotten.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

the season gerrard played on the right he scored twenty something goals, so shut up, and stop being wrong. and stop listening to sky who are consistently wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

mayordenis wrote: »
    the season gerrard played on the right he scored twenty something goals, so shut up, and stop being wrong. and stop listening to sky who are consistently wrong.

When he plays on the wing he drifts inside, leavign the wing and full back exposed, so while technically he's on paper as a winger and playing well in reality football isnt subbuteo and players move.

Plenty of the goals he got that season were scored through the middle with him breaking on balls from the strikers or scoring long rangers.

So dont be so quick to tell people to shut up, especially when your opinion seems to be taken from the formnation written on paper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Yep. Bull****. Gerrard should never play in the centre, especially in the big matches.

The guy is probably the best player who is the ****test at passing the ball on the ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Yep. Bull****. Gerrard should never play in the centre, especially in the big matches.

The guy is probably the best player who is the ****test at passing the ball on the ground.

At least he can score peno's at crucial times...

Ooh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭corcaighcailin9

who was that aimed at??

Why do people seem ot think the only job in the middle is the Roy Keane one? Gerrard plays ahead of a middle too really well. He can roam up and down, linking between the two more othadox middle players and the striker(s). Thats his middle position, not a holding middle postion.

MrJoeSoap wrote: »

Ooh!

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

who was that aimed at??

Well you are the OP who listened to Sky so I'm guessing.....

Yes but i was disagreeing with sky...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,430 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Stekelly wrote: »
    Why do people seem ot think the only job in the middle is the Roy Keane one? Gerrard plays ahead of a middle too really well. He can roam up and down, linking between the two more othadox middle players and the striker(s). Thats his middle position, not a holding middle postion.

:D

I don't think that is what is being said - a lot of people (me included) don't think Gerrard is suited to playing in the middle, in a flat 442 formation. He likes to bomb on too much and doesn't keep his position well enough most of the time. As an advanced midfielder given the freedom to bomb around the place he is brilliant - and he has actually been impressive on the right imo too.

Same for Lampard - great as an advanced midfielder given freedom, a lot weaker when playing as a standard CM.

were you shouting "LA LA LA LA LA LA LA NOT LISTENING LA LA LA LA LA LA" when you were writing that?

He was doing great (until the big games of late) playing behind Torres in a free role.

Tauren wrote: »
    I don't think that is what is being said - a lot of people (me included) don't think Gerrard is suited to playing in the middle, in a flat 442 formation..

Liverpool dont play a flat 442 though, so it's pretty irrelevant in fairness.

He was doing great (until the big games of late) playing behind Torres in a free role.

In the middle you mean...........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

the reason Gerrard is poor on the wings, is the same reason Rafa puts him out there in the first place. it's his lack of discipline. he basically has all the necessary attributes to do it well, pace, good crossing ability, good eye for a pass. he just likes to go wandering and do everything himself, hence he'll appear in the middle or on the left and his team will be brutally exposed. but he does that anyway in the middle. that's why Benitez is loath to play him in a 2 man midfield in the big games imo.

Liverpool dont play a flat 442 though, so it's pretty irrelevant in fairness.

yeah - but when people say he can't play in the middle, they are generally saying (at lease everyone i talk to about it) is that he can't be effective as a central midfielder, in the middle of the park, in a 442 - like England generally play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

A good player should be able to affect the game from any position.
    Indeed. I seem to remember him making a difference covering right back in a champions league final not so long ago.

Sherifu wrote: »
    Indeed. I seem to remember him making a difference covering right back in a champions league final not so long ago.

Not worth a **** in goal though, ergo, he's crap.:)
    yeah - but when people say he can't play in the middle, they are generally saying (at lease everyone i talk to about it) is that he can't be effective as a central midfielder, in the middle of the park, in a 442 - like England generally play.

Thats what I was saying above though. People (usually ones that think they know more than they do) cant seem to seperate the Roy Keane type of Central midfielder from the Gerrard type.

Roar wrote: »
    well he's playing through the middle today but i'd wager he'll still be anonymous

Good call.

• Advertisement

Not worth a **** in goal though, ergo, he's crap.:)

Thats what I was saying above though. People (usually ones that think they know more than they do) cant seem to seperate the Roy Keane type of Central midfielder from the Gerrard type.

Good call.
    IMO, Fabregas and Xavi would be examples of world class central midfielders. Gerrard isn't in that type of role. People can seperate the types - but we hear all too often that Gerrard is a world class CENTRAL midfiedler and the most complete midfielder in the world. A lot of people disagree - he is a world class attacking midfielder, who does some defensive stuff but not nearly as much as he could do, possibly cause he is told not to.

Roar wrote: »

So good I thought I'd quote you twice.

More anonymous games please Stevie.

Goal and an assist, nae bad.

So good I thought I'd quote you twice.

More anonymous games please Stevie.

Goal and an assist, nae bad.

lol, i was just about to quote myself and say the same thing..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

MrJoeSoap wrote: »

Ooh!

In fairness that was the ultimate 'PWNAGE'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭dc69

IMO, Fabregas and Xavi would be examples of world class central midfielders. Gerrard isn't in that type of role. People can seperate the types - but we hear all too often that Gerrard is a world class CENTRAL midfiedler and the most complete midfielder in the world. A lot of people disagree - he is a world class attacking midfielder, who does some defensive stuff but not nearly as much as he could do, possibly cause he is told not to.

he is a box to box midfielder who is very attacking mined,id liken him to Kaka except not as lazy and can defend extremely well.Hes they type of player who could play anywhere on the pitch and be class,except goalkeeper or cb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

It's not the player's decision where he plays week in week out, it's the manager's. Thierry became a world class player because he was played out of position and generally speaking the manager knows more than the player

dc69 wrote: »
    he is a box to box midfielder who is very attacking mined,id liken him to Kaka except not as lazy and can defend extremely well.Hes they type of player who could play anywhere on the pitch and be class,except goalkeeper or cb

i disagree.

He used to be a box-to-box player. he still can be. But he doesn't do it enough anymore to be classed as it. He is an attacking midfielder who can defend, but will spend a lot more time attacking.

Bubs101 wrote: »
    It's not the player's decision where he plays week in week out, it's the manager's. Thierry became a world class player because he was played out of position and generally speaking the manager knows more than the player

Up front? Where he played for Monaco?

It was only Juve that persisted in trying him out wide.

Advertisement