Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying in U.S.A

Options
  • 13-04-2008 2:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭

My folks will be going to New York in June and we were thinking of asking them to buy an Apple iphone and a Nintendo ds lite and then posting it to us. Has anybody else done this? Would the Ds lite work here?

Lastly(?) can anybody tell us where the cheapest places are to shop?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭daisy123

DS lite will defo work, they are not region encoded, you can buy a transformer type thing to charge it in the game stores.

I know there are issues with unlocking the iphones though...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

the DS will work no prob, you'll just need to get an adaptor for the charger or get a new charger for it [its actually easier to just get a new charger as I kept forgetting to bring the plug adaptor with me as it was bulky] Cheapest option for a DS is prob somewhere like Best Buy - theres a pretty decent one on the corner of 23rd and 5th [take the F train to 23rd and its right there] Your not saving a fortune with the DS buying it states side [saving a few quid alright and the crap dollar helps as well] but its the cost of games were you really save most games are around the $20 mark compared to 50euros here.

the iphone you'll have a world of issues with - you can find guides online unlock it but they can be tricky and there's a high risk of f*ucking the phone up. The mp3 player and web access don't usually work with unlocked phones as they need to be activated by the phone carrier but a few bloggers have managed to get around that [thou alot of time they get the mp3 working but the phone part of of the phone is fecked]

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

And don't forget customs will have to payed on both the DS and the iPhone.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

You really don't need to post them. I was in the states in Feb and bought a few things and wasn't stopped coming back. Get them to throw away the packaging if you're really worried.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭tulipandthistle

And don't forget customs will have to payed on both the DS and the iPhone.

I was planning to get them to post it, they don't live here anyway. Would that be costly I wonder?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

I was planning to get them to post it, they don't live here anyway. Would that be costly I wonder?

How does having them posted affect the VAT and Duty that will be due?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Beano wrote: »
    How does having them posted affect the VAT and Duty that will be due?

An Post check the post from outside the EU, when you post you have to declare whats inside. If An Post see an iPhone and DSlite they will send it a company they've sub contracted to get the duty and VAT due. The OP's parents can always lie and not declare whats in the parcel but then you are shipping a lot of money with no record and no insurance.

OP if your folks live in the EU they can bring them back in their luggage and post from inside the EU, no issues with VAT or duty then. Just make sure the reciept is sent seperate to be safe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

Del2005 wrote: »
    An Post check the post from outside the EU, when you post you have to declare whats inside. If An Post see an iPhone and DSlite they will send it a company they've sub contracted to get the duty and VAT due. The OP's parents can always lie and not declare whats in the parcel but then you are shipping a lot of money with no record and no insurance.

OP if your folks live in the EU they can bring them back in their luggage and post from inside the EU, no issues with VAT or duty then. Just make sure the reciept is sent seperate to be safe.

so , in short, it makes no difference. If they bring it into the EU personally they will be liable for vat and duty at the point of entry.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Beano wrote: »
    so , in short, it makes no difference. If they bring it into the EU personally they will be liable for vat and duty at the point of entry.

Only if they declare it;););)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Take everything out of its packaging, and gather all the boxes, instructions, guarantees etc- and post them to yourself. You will have a lovely array of electronics with you- however without any boxes etc- and it would be impossible to prove that it was all brand new. USPS have an express service for worldwide deliveries- its US$35 for up to 16lbs, you can pick up a box in any postoffice. You'll get all the documentation etc about a week later. A bit devious- but hell.

• Advertisement
Advertisement