Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Phobia of flying

• 13-04-2008 2:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭

I never used to have a phobia of flying until recently and I really can't figure out how it developed. I used to fly a lot as a kid and also when I was in my teens. When a flight I was on was coming in to land in Knock airport I had a panic attack and ever since then I'm totally freaked when I have to fly.

I really can't explain it because the landing was fine and I was watching the ground outside the window which is what I have always done, but I just got really really scared and started freaking out.

I want to go somewhere this summer so I'm thinking maybe I should see a hypnotist? Has anyone on here overcome their fear of flying?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

I have to say that reading Allen Carr's "Easy way to enjoy flying" book helped me a lot. I am the exact same as you. Always loved flying then suddenly just got panicked by it and refused to get on a plane for over 2 years.

After reading the book I wanted to try flying again and although it was still quite scary, I felt way better about it than I had done before. I went to Prague a couple of weeks ago and that was my first flight since I vowed never to fly again. I know it will get easier the more flights I take.

Read the book, see if it helps. If not, there are a few courses run by aerlingus that help people who have a fear of flying. Maybe contact them and find out more about it. I would imagine that they'd be very helpful.

It is possible to do this but it may take time and effort. Most of all though, it takes a positive attitude and a lot of determination.

Good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭mickrourke

[-0-] wrote: »
    I never used to have a phobia of flying until recently and I really can't figure out how it developed. .

You actually answered your own question in the following sentence, this is how you got your fear of flying.
    When a flight I was on was coming in to land in Knock airport I had a panic attack and ever since then I'm totally freaked when I have to fly.

So what happened to you was you had a panic attack and now you link the panic attack with flying.
    I really can't explain it because the landing was fine and I was watching the ground outside the window which is what I have always done, but I just got really really scared and started freaking out.

Panic Attacks can be linked to stressful situations and is the bodys way of dealing with repressed stress, or in most cases have no psychological reason and just appear at anytime in any situation, flying, open spaces, closed spaces. They are a ancient response to an ancient problem which we don't normally confront today, the fight or flight response, which helped our ancestors escape danger such as wild animals,(or fight them) but which has no real place in todays society. So while you are having your fight or flight response and your heart is beating so fast you are going to die or go crazy, you aren't because how helpful would dying or going crazy be when trying to escape from a wild animal? Anyway PM me if you want to know more
    I want to go somewhere this summer so I'm thinking maybe I should see a hypnotist? Has anyone on here overcome their fear of flying?

Along with challenging your beliefs of Panic Attacks, such as i said above about it's origins and purpose, and breathing and relaxation techinques, you will beat your fear of flying. BTW I had exactly the same problem as you and while i still feel a little bit anxious while flying sometimes, most times i enjoy it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

It been a while since the first post on this and i was wondering if the OP had any joy with flying since?

I had pretty much the exact same story- used to love flying till about 8 years ago when i had a bad experience and have not flown since.

Trid the hyponotherapist etc but it did nothinng for mr tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 glynngo

i cant even watch planes on tv without getting scared. my bp goes up and heart starts racing.. absolutely no reasonable explanation for it.
    if you google free online courses there is a really good fear of flying one, im doing it so we can take our daughter for a plane ride without me fainting lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Timothy Bryce

It been a while since the first post on this and i was wondering if the OP had any joy with flying since?

I had pretty much the exact same story- used to love flying till about 8 years ago when i had a bad experience and have not flown since.

Trid the hyponotherapist etc but it did nothinng for mr tbh.

I bet the bad experience was with Futura!

• Advertisement

I had a real bad fear of fly so i went to a hypnotist and now when i see a plane i actually get a feeling of excitment. Saying that, there is still nervousness getting on the plane and taking off.
    I love landing though .

Advertisement