Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbie needs Mountain Bike purchase help !!

Options
  • 13-04-2008 2:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Hi peeps...

I am messing with the idea of buying a new montain bike for offroad use in my area. I have a budget of up to €350 and am seeking some help in what make would be best to invest in.

Any useful comments about suspension a must etc would be appreciated.

Hippee:):):)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Don't have alot to say but at that level don't go anywhere near a full suspension bike. They will be completely useless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 hippee

I've seen many now and have decide on a possible 2 MTB's.
    1 x is a Giant boulder and the other is a Trek 3900.. any suggestions on which would be the better bike for orr road use etc ?:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

Where are you based hipee ?

It seems most of the guys here are talking 800+ for their bikes, then add the cost of components they've upgraded on them.

I got my bike a couple of years ago with the intention of doing a little off-road, only just getting down to it now.
    Paid €400 for my Fuji Nevada in Galway, but haven't seen any of them around since.
    I was looking at similar price range to you, but upped to the 400 on advice that it was a better bike than the Giants or Treks for similar money.

Seems to do me fine so far, though I haven't done any serious speed or jumps on it, but I do suspect I'll have to change a couple of things on it eventually once I do start to treat it a bit rougher.

There's a number of other brands around now that were not around when I bought, at least not in Galway, such as Kelly's & Felt. Some of these seem to be in around your price.
    Check out this one, its got v-brakes but is also disc break compatible if you wanted to upgrade later.
    http://www.kearneycycles.com/galway-bicycles-details.php?act=viewProd&productId=267

As I'm a beginner like you, I'll let the experienced folks on here comment on the components you're getting on it, but hey, we all have to start somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Hi! There have a special on a LaPierre ( I think ) MTB at the cycle superstore in tallagh I saw last sunday. It's down to around 400 or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

This seems nice, just over your budget!!!

GT avalanche

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Either the Trek or the Giant would be fine. A Specialized Hardrock would be a good option too and is close to your budget.

http://www.mcconveycycles.com/products.php?plid=m1b0s2p3240

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 hippee

Thanks guys i'm heading towards the Giant alright as they seem to have the best spec.. what kinda warranty should i be getting with the Bike's in any of these stores ?

Was in Limerick on the w'end looking at all stores and the Bike Shop on O'Connell st, seemed really competitive.... Just need to know if they'll throw in guards and bottle etc.

Thanks for all the links guys its opened my eyes for sure !

Any other comments are welcome as i'm a week or two off buying one.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Scrivo

Giants have lifetime warranties on all of their frames which is reassuriung. The shop should sort you out if you have any other little problems. Make sure to take the bike back for its first service (after a month or so)

Advertisement