Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best way to use wireless

Options
  • 13-04-2008 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭

I am in the unfortunate position of not being able to get broadband from any of the regular providers. I eventually got a very poor service from 3 which I finally managed to get out of, and I found a local provider of wireless which gives a steady 1mg down and almost the same up. My question is what is the best and cheapest way to send this around the house?? I have the eircom netopia box, but I gather this cannot be used. Any ideas ???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭darraghrogan

some form of wirless access point I would imagine. What format is the internet connection presented to you? An ethernet socket from a device?

Darragh

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Foleyart

It comes in to a flat dish on the outside wall to a small box (power over ethernet) and from there to the computer.

sounds good. I presume it plugs into the computer using a RJ45 plug - which could be described as a wider fatter telephone plug.

To distribute it around the house you could get a wireless router, ala:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?MenuNo=12213&MenuName=Wireless+Cable+Router&FromMenu=y&doy=13m4

The idea being that you plug the roof dish antenna into the "External" socket of one of those routers, and configure the router to make it available wirelessly for any laptops you have, and use one of the 4 "Internal" wired ports of the router to plug desktops into.

Darragh

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Foleyart wrote: »
    I am in the unfortunate position of not being able to get broadband from any of the regular providers. I eventually got a very poor service from 3 which I finally managed to get out of, and I found a local provider of wireless which gives a steady 1mg down and almost the same up. My question is what is the best and cheapest way to send this around the house?? I have the eircom netopia box, but I gather this cannot be used. Any ideas ???
    Yes, the netopia box is no good in this instance as it does not have an RJ45 wan port (network cable size) it only has an RJ11 wan port (Telephone size).

At the moment your computer is controlling the connection so you need a router to take over so that the connection works independantly of the computer i.e. so the computer does not need to be left on.

Your best bet is to get a Linksys WRT54G or WRT54GL router. They are cheap and very powerful. The difference between the two models is that the GL runs from Linux and the software it runs off can be changed to a more powerful firmware that can do some really cool things. See OpenWRT for more on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Foleyart

Thanks guys
    Your information was just what I needed.:D

• Advertisement

axer wrote: »
    Your best bet is to get a Linksys WRT54G or WRT54GL router. They are cheap and very powerful. The difference between the two models is that the GL runs from Linux and the software it runs off can be changed to a more powerful firmware that can do some really cool things. See OpenWRT for more on that.

I'm using DD-WRT - well impressed with the web ui & features it brought to my router...

D

Advertisement