Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best Car wash

Options
  • 13-04-2008 3:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭

have always been a fan of washing my car myself, and as such have had quiet a few appliances installed in my house, from hot water jet washes and so forth, but am just wondering what the boards opinion is on garage washes. Personally I travel every sunday morning down the m50 just to go to the lucan texaco car wash. they really do a fantastic job, while you sit in your car eating your breakfast and reading the paper. I've also recenently found the 24 hour car wash service in walkinston, which i have to say is a bit mad. im a total car junkie, but I dont think iv ever wanted to wash my car at 5am on a saturday night, not sober anyway:pac: but they do very good job nonetheless. yet their not great with the wheels, not as good as lucan.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Please don't mess with the fonts!! thats terribly hard to read

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Chergar

Clearly an unintentional error. Fixed

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭alpina

The new line of 'Soft Cloth' car wash's are pretty good, no hard brush like bristles used, but a chamois quality cloth rather is attached to the rollers in place of the old fashioned stup.
    What I like the most is the fact that the wash's are fully attended and as such one's car is thoroughly sponged down before rollers even come near you car so not compounding existing dirt into body work which too often leads to scratches. The alloys are also sprayed (some kind of alloy cleaner I guess as I have seen it lather) and cleaned prior to entering wash. Car drives on to a conveyor belt setup and pulled through wash, have always been quite pleased with result.
    There are two in Limerick as far as I am aware, I think a new one opened in Castletroy but definetly one on the dock road.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

There's was a good one in the service station down by merrion gates in dublin. I think it's either a texaco or an esso. It was like a conveyor that brought your car through and had the soft cloth wash. They recently changed it for a different type of carwash though, which isn't as good. Just a normal one, but really overpriced.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

alpina wrote: »
    The new line of 'Soft Cloth' car wash's are pretty good, no hard brush like bristles used, but a chamois quality cloth rather is attached to the rollers in place of the old fashioned stup.
    What I like the most is the fact that the wash's are fully attended and as such one's car is thoroughly sponged down before rollers even come near you car so not compounding existing dirt into body work which too often leads to scratches. The alloys are also sprayed (some kind of alloy cleaner I guess as I have seen it lather) and cleaned prior to entering wash. Car drives on to a conveyor belt setup and pulled through wash, have always been quite pleased with result.
    There are two in Limerick as far as I am aware, I think a new one opened in Castletroy but definetly one on the dock road.

Where's the one in Castletroy?

• Advertisement

I think out around SuperQuin but sorry can not swear to this.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

There is one in Superquinn alright, on the far side of the car park... Also if any1 knows of Cosgraves, they've a good wash. Also Singland Motors has a great power wash.. Requires u to loosen up the dirt a bit first of all, and there's a wheel cleaner... No brushes... Other than that my old bucket of water does wonders....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭irish.rugby.fan

Best car wash is the Beacon Valet wash. Hands down.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭highlandseoghan

Try the hand car wash in Tesco car Park in Artane and ClareHall and they opened new one in Bray and BallyBrack.

They wash the car by hand using the 2 bucket method and tyres are dressed too. I got the car done there inside and outside for only €32 no where around is as cheap and the job is perfect and the misus can do the shopping at same time.

I'm afraid €32 to get my car washed is a little OTT
    I know it's all relative but seriously, I take my car's cleanliness serious and is rarely caught dirty, as a result realistically would wash it 2/3 times a week preferably by hand but if in a rush a car wash again preferably a soft cloth version, so you can see I understand keeping the car clean.

But to hand over €32, have a truck overtake me on the way home, most likely a shower of rain & whatever local roadworks are in operation often it's a case I need to wash it again once arrive back home.

There's the Celtic Tiger & there's the core value of the pound/euro which a certain portion of our country have forgotten about

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

Bradys Ratoath beside Fairyhouse racecourse without a doubt:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭highlandseoghan

alpina wrote: »
    I'm afraid €32 to get my car washed is a little OTT
    I know it's all relative but seriously, I take my car's cleanliness serious and is rarely caught dirty, as a result realistically would wash it 2/3 times a week preferably by hand but if in a rush a car wash again preferably a soft cloth version, so you can see I understand keeping the car clean.

But to hand over €32, have a truck overtake me on the way home, most likely a shower of rain & whatever local roadworks are in operation often it's a case I need to wash it again once arrive back home.

There's the Celtic Tiger & there's the core value of the pound/euro which a certain portion of our country have forgotten about

sorry i think you misunderstood, €32 got my wifes car hand washed and a full valet job on the inside. I paid €32 compared to the €90 i used to pay for the same job.

sorry i think you misunderstood, €32 got my wifes car hand washed and a full valet job on the inside. I paid €32 compared to the €90 i used to pay for the same job.

Fair enough, different story....
    Thought the country had gone mad there for a moment
    (maybe I should say mader)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Lads,
    How often do ye wash yer cars?
    I think it is crazy the amount of money spend on carwashes when they can usually do a better job themselves.
    Kippy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

kippy wrote: »
    Lads,
    I think it is crazy the amount of money spend on carwashes when they can usually do a better job themselves.
    Kippy

About fortnightly for me. Mostly car washes as not enough room at the house.

As for a location in Cork, the Texaco in Mahon has an excellent car wash, (Polish) guy washes car with sponge, then into a brushless jet wash. Good value at €9.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

Some wash it 2/3 times a week? In Irish weather? On Irish roads?
    Don't see the point really. Got my car last September. Washed it once I think.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

I'm a bit OTT, I wash either my car or the wife's every night !

I have it down to a fine art though, sponge, shampoo and chamois in the boot of each car, hose reel located at front side of house. I pull in and have the car washed and dried in about 8 minutes !

Every morning I hose down the dew and chamois it again if required !

My cars always look spotless and folk actually do comment on it !

BTW I have a similar set up in work and wash bthere too if needs be !

Like I said OTT !

• Registered Users Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭Esel

MercMad wrote: »
    Like I said OTT !
    Sounds more like OCD to me! :eek:

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭landydef

I have it down to a fine art though, sponge, shampoo and chamois in the boot of each car, hose reel located at front side of house. I pull in and have the car washed and dried in about 8 minutes !

Like I said OTT !
    MercMad=the monica of the motors board:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

kippy wrote: »
    Lads,
    Kippy

At least once a week depending on weather...sometimes I'll manage to get it done twice...my neighbours think I'm loony. (I lather/rinse/dry with two buckets, mit and water magnet cloth).
    I've never put a car through either a roller/brush type washer or had it powerwashed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,442 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Like I said OTT !

Class! And I thought I was the very definition of OCD :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭landydef

ive given up washin me car until i get my new extra wide arches as me tyres are two inches past my present arches leaving anything within two miles of where im driving splattered all up the side:rolleyes:,have to admit i am a big fan of a good aul car wash on a saturday morning all the same

• Registered Users Posts: 28 penfold944

Best place I've used for the last while is the texaco on the old N2.

contactless wash - so the brush only touches your windscreen.. plus you have a reasonably quiet road to dry the car off - and dry the brakes ( cross drilled brakes warp when wet ).

After that - really you cant beat a wash where they drive the car, but I would avoid like the plague anywhere that uses brushes.

I managed to ruin the paintwork on a Porsche a few years ago by washing it with a brush that had previously washed a very dirty farmers jeep...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

There is a Texaco (I think) on the N11, if coming towards the city after you pass Cherrywood, before you get to Cabinteeley. Good car wash there. It's got twirley roller thingys, but the brushes are soft spongey stuff. It's good value too. That one by the merrion gates is a stinking ripoff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭irish.rugby.fan

I have it down to a fine art though, sponge, shampoo and chamois in the boot of each car, hose reel located at front side of house. I pull in and have the car washed and dried in about 8 minutes !!

You obviously dont have it down to a fine art if your using a sponge and chamois.

I bet your car looks clean but as soon as the sun hits - swirl city!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,556 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Every day :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

You obviously dont have it down to a fine art if your using a sponge and chamois.

I bet your car looks clean but as soon as the sun hits - swirl city!

..........I actually have a micro fibre mitten, but I thought my post was bad enough without that detail !! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

What is peoples obsession with pressure washers?

You do NOT need a pressure washer to clean your car. As far as I am concerned they only push grit across the paintwork and cause those tiny little scratches.

Two buckets, a deep pile wash mitt, a good chamois a decent salt free shampoo, warm water & an open ended hose is all that is required for a perfect car wash.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,442 ✭✭✭JoeA3

prospect wrote: »

You do NOT need a pressure washer to clean your car. As far as I am concerned they only push grit across the paintwork and cause those tiny little scratches.

Two buckets, a deep pile wash mitt, a good chamois a decent salt free shampoo, warm water & an open ended hose is all that is required for a perfect car wash.

Agreed! I think pressure washers give the user the impression they're doing a great job, but in reality there's no need for one in most cases. Can be useful for the wheel arches and sills though if its really mucky!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,556 ✭✭✭✭vectra

prospect wrote: »

Rubbish.
    I can just picture you arriving hime with muck and grity stuck to your paint and you rubbing it with a sponge.. Talk about creating scratches.

Power washer first for me all the way.
    And no,You dont cause scratches by using one.
    I would Never wash my car unless I give it a good 5 minute blow down first with the power washer to remove all traces of grit.

3 washes and a dry off again.

Every third wash and give it a good waxing with Harly Wax :cool:

Like new

Advertisement