Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where to send my music??

• 13-04-2008 4:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi there,
    I make my own Trance and Electronica music, have had some fairly positive reviews on an unsigned artist web page and was looking to see if anyone knows of any labels that i could send a demo too, many thanks in advance for any help.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I can't suggest any to you mate, but what i would suggest is work out what labels release tracks most like your own stuff and send to them.

Ask a member called "jtsuited" - he has for stuff released one some labels and I'm sure he will give you some tips. I'm sure there are a few other boardies who have dome same too

You could start by posting links to your tracks here and I'm sure some of the lads will give you some honest feedback.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Destal

thanks Zascar i will do as you suggest, thanks for that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Destal wrote: »
    Hi there,
    I make my own Trance and Electronica music, have had some fairly positive reviews on an unsigned artist web page and was looking to see if anyone knows of any labels that i could send a demo too, many thanks in advance for any help.

mail me at demos@underbellymusic.com with links to your music

cheers
    pete

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

hey there.
    In my experience, the best way of getting stuff signed is to find labels on beatport that you really like. And that sound like the stuff you do.

You also have to take into account that good labels are realistically only going to release stuff that is in the same vein as stuff they release, and most likely stuff that is better. No label wants to not be upping their game.

Production wise, you have a lot better chance if it's nicely polished, well mixed, sounds professional and is very well mastered.
    I can't stress the importance of good mastering.

Oh and be patient. I've got a few releases coming out in the next few months on Brandnewvibe (who's previous 5 releases have been included in the Essential mixes, and been played by Tong, James Zabiela, Hernan Cattaneo) and my releases aren't out til august.
    Smaller labels get stuff out a little quicker. Redsession (tiny label in LA) are releasing two of my tracks, and have pretty much left it to me when it's released.

Don't get dissilusioned with rejections and stuff, as from talking to guys in the labels they tell me it is simply impossible to reply to all demos they receive and listen to.
    Also the myth of 'labels don't listen to stuff' is just that. Even the bigger labels right now on beatport (eg. Toolroom, Cocoon, etc.) DO listen to lots of demos.

From a production perspective, there are many standards that must be met before a label will even consider you.
    Don't deal with any labels that are going through aggregators. These guys tend to be cowboys who will release any track just to get their $300 turnover per quarter that beatport now requires.

I heard from a friend of mine the other day that the label he signed some tracks with, got notified by beatport that they were planning on not actually putting a lot of the releases onto the site. this is part of the beatport quality control initiative that was announced about two months ago.
    So it is a slightly inconvenient time for trying to get your first releases.

Admittedly I'm very new to releasing records in the Dance music world, but do have a lot of experience with labels regarding pop/rock music. And luckily enough, comparitively speaking, dance music is filled with a lot of people running successful labels who are really about the music.

Make a list of potential labels and be realistic (don't go sending new tracks to Ministry every week!).

And don't make your correspondences look like press releases. Be honest. Don't be 'check out my brilliant new tracks, they'll knock your socks off'. Label guys have to deal with sh1te-talkers every minute of every day and do appreciate a non-bullsh1t approach. From my experience anyway.

Pm me with links to the tracks and I'll give you my humble opinion on the stuff production wise. If you need mastering done, I can do it for dirt cheap. If you've never tried mastering stuff before, DO NOT ATTEMPT IT!!.

Good luck, and looking forward to helping you out in any way I can.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Sounds like as much advice as you could possibly need!

Be interested to hear your music too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

oh yeah btw.

Get some webspace so you can have DIRECT download links AND a streaming link. Labels guys are not gonna want to be going to zshare all day and waiting for download links to appear.
    You want to be able to hear your stuff with as few clicks as possible.

also, mention you are interested in remix work. A remix of a small tune that sells nothing is actually worth something as you're then on beatport. I managed to fluke a quick remix on to beatport through a mate of mine on Dj Pierre's (guy from Phuture) label, and got a lot of offers out of it albeit on small labels.
    in fact, really plug the fact you want to do remixes (if you think you are up for it).
    My mate was playing over in Miami for the WMC and mentioned to the bigwigs he was dying to do remixes for people, and he ended up with a few offers (and this was on the back of a dj set).

Labels that hear talent are willing to give you the remix parts fairly easily even if they don't think much of your tracks. It's no problem for them if it's done on spec (no fee or guarantee of release), but the production has to be as good and normally better than the original track. High quality production matters a lot more for remixes.
    And remixes are really really good for upping your game.

And most importantly.... Enjoy yourself!!

Advertisement