Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

MR2 1.6 Vs MX-3 1.6

Options
  • 13-04-2008 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

Am just turned 19 and im looking to upgrade to something small and sporty.
    I like the mk1 mr2 for its handling and midengine rwd layout ,but im not liking its lack of rear seats or boot space. Insurance wise a got a quote from britton for €1400 on my dads name (only company who give qoute!)

The mazda mx3 on the other hand is newer, easier to insure, cheaper, more pratical. But...........its front wheel drive plus front engined (boring).

Also which do ye think is better looking?, i know my head turns every time i see a mk1 mr2!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'd say it is going to be tough enough to find a nice clean rust free MkI MR2 at this stage. You are talking about a car that is going on 20 years or so old.

I'd imagine the MX-3 would be the more realistic option to begin with. Looks are subjective so nobody other than yourself can tell you which is the better looking one.

If your finding the MX-3 a little boring then maybe you should look into the old Honda Integra DC2. Afaik mid 1990 models were available with a 1.6 litre DOHC engine. While no rocket but they were one of the nicest handling front wheel drive cars at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Oh and another one to consider might be the Toyota Levin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

bazz26 wrote: »
    Oh and another one to consider might be the Toyota Levin.

Think they are a bit expensive compared to others in the class but great engines. An mr2 will be cheaper and personally i find them better. Although you are getting the best of the toyota engines in both of them.

The mx3 is a great car. Not bad on the petrol and a rocket as well. The engine in it is brill and just keeps going. The handling wont be as good as the mr2 but will have bit more room in the cabin and will be higher up on the road which some people prefer.

Personally i would go for the mr2 but be careful buying one. Many people rally the old ones to bits. But find the guy who has kept it gleaming and has a service history (a few will have service history even though its old as some people would have been very proud with this car and rightly so)

Advertisement