Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to get Parts for business

Options
  • 13-04-2008 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭

I want to start a small business in selling computer parts and building custom PCs( (mainly from he gamer market) but I don’t know were to go to get parts, I was think of just buy the off , dabs.ie or a wholesaler, but prefer to go directly to the manufacture if possible. So how would I go about just e-mail them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

No market for this really...as it's very hard to compete with the likes of hardwareversand.de et al and also, people would prefer to build their own. Most manufacturers will insist that you buy from approved resellers and those that are willing to do business with you will want you to buy in bulk ,in order for it to be worth their while.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

if you are going to this then i'd specialize in something. It won't work if you try and offer the range of Komplett or OCuk. Maybe specialize in watercooling gear or computer cases.

The PC gamer market is such at the moment that if you game on a pc you pretty much know how to build your own pc or know the e-tailers on the internet that sell the stuff cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

mach1982 wrote: »
    I want to start a small business in selling computer parts and building custom PCs( (mainly from he gamer market) but I don’t know were to go to get parts, I was think of just buy the off , dabs.ie or a wholesaler, but prefer to go directly to the manufacture if possible. So how would I go about just e-mail them?

business
    computer 2000 and ingrams are good for the basic processors etc, you can buy vat free from the uk

otherwise i recommned ocuk and hardvarehavsand

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

There is a market for this kind of company imo, I even contemplated it a lot back in 4th year when I had loads of free time....

Look at the amount of threads here per month that go something like

"I have <lots of money> and I was thinking of an Alienware"

or

"I have <lots of money> and no idea about making a PC, this is what I spec'd so far"

And they have horrible specs like some old AMD stuff and 8 2600XTs or something :D

There is a huge hole in the OEM PC market, you can get a machine that cant game at all for 800 euro or a machine that can game for 3000...

With components being really cheap at the minute you can make a decent gaming machine for 600 euro or so?

E4500 ~ 90
    2gigs ram ~ 45
    8800gt 256mb ~ 120
    Abit IP35 ~ 90
    Corsair VX PSU ~ 70
    Cheap case ~ 50
    500gig HDD ~ 75
    DVD Drive ~ 20
    Decent Cooler ~ 35

Overclock it to 3ghz and it will play any game without a problem

And on much higher end systems you can pummel Dell / Alienware on price / performance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Yeah but shipping, after sales, support etc will turn the profit into nothing in no time, not to mention you will be paying €90 per os..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

conzymaher wrote: »
    There is a huge hole in the OEM PC market, you can get a machine that cant game at all for 800 euro

http://configure.euro.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?b=&c=ie&cs=iedhs1&kc=DRS42002&l=en&oc=D04X414&rbc=D04X414&s=dhs

dell.ie > xps and picked the first half decent one I saw. Pretty decent gaming system for €800 delivered.

oh snap! sorry op, you're out of business :p

Didnt know dell offered cards like that in cheaper systems...

Good news for PC Gaming tbh :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

conzymaher wrote: »
    oh snap! sorry op, you're out of business :p

Didnt know dell offered cards like that in cheaper systems...

Good news for PC Gaming tbh :)
    Yeah dell can be quite competitive. Still not as good as the likes of hardwareversand though. Funny thing on the dell site, check out this page. The first one there is a tenner cheaper than the one I linked above and is rubbish in comparison. I'd hate to be the poor guy who decides to save himself a tenner there.

Ouch! Oh man that would suck :(

But that really is a kick as machine for noobs for 799 :p

Advertisement