Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best swimming spots ...

Options
  • 13-04-2008 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭

... where are the best sea swimming spots within driving distance of the city? Are there any places that are costume-optional, i.e. nudie?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Dunno about nudie but silver strand
    is nice and there are quite a few out past Barna fairly isolated.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

leisure land

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

I like your moxy dafunk!

I've been swimming at the coral beach in carraroe, it's really nice out there, but wear sandals because the coral can be sore on your feet.

I don't think it would be cricket to go swimming in the altogether out there though...

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭dafunk

Heheh! I'm not familiar with the term 'cricket', I assume in this context you mean kosher or something to that affect, I did look it up on urbandictionary and there were some funny definitions there alright, most of which were too rude for me to repeat (my favourite one refers to a "purple headed yogurt slinger", a term I have never heard before but certainly plan to incorporate into my daily speak).

I've been there! The coral beach is gorgeous, it's a little too far out for me though. If I could stay in the water for more than 5 minutes maybe I could justify the drive!

dafunk wrote: »
    Heheh! I'm not familiar with the term 'cricket', I assume in this context you mean kosher or something to that affect
    Indeed it does.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Lol ... I don't think there are any "official" clothing optional beaches near Galway, or anywhere really in Ireland, tho' the 40 Foot in Dublin still has that tradition.

Some small secluded beaches where the local lads will jump in in hot weather without benefit of swimwear (i.e. boxers or nude as the mood takes them) but they're not official and I suspect a stranger might be viewed with a certain amount of suspicion ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭john concannon

I have heard some dodgy stuff about Galway beaches.I would recommend Bearna though.

Lol ... I don't think there are any "official" clothing optional beaches near Galway, or anywhere really in Ireland, tho' the 40 Foot in Dublin still has that tradition.

There's plenty of unofficial ones though! Cheers for the advice guys, nudie or not it's getting close to that time of the year when I can get into the water without fearing my heart might stop! Roll on summer!

There's plenty of unofficial ones though! Cheers for the advice guys, nudie or not it's getting close to that time of the year when I can get into the water without fearing my heart might stop! Roll on summer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭tristanc

Ah. Memories of camping on one of those 'unofficial' beaches with friends in california, us jumping in without a bathing suit for a morning wake-up swim, and emerging just in time to see Mommy and Daddy and kids coming down to our-not-as-secluded-as-we-thought beach.

A little googling found me some nude beaches in the area pretty quickly. And June 3rd is apparently World Naturist Day beach gatherings.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

I have heard some dodgy stuff about Galway beaches.I would recommend Bearna though.

like this?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054967763

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Actually I thought he was talking about poor water quality.

At least that has some basis in fact.

Though I believe that the Mutton Island plant has resulted in a general improvement in that respect.

JIZZLORD wrote: »

Ha ha, that's hilarious! Although I am inclined to doubt the credibility of that story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

dafunk wrote: »
    Ha ha, that's hilarious! Although I am inclined to doubt the credibility of that story.
    Are you saying the advertiser isn't a bastion of journalistic integrity?
    http://www.galwayadvertiser.ie/content/index.php?aid=1096

JIZZLORD wrote: »
    Lol. I'd forgotten about that. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭chris_oc

Roundstone's a fairly good spot during the summer. i wouldnt go taking of all my clothes in a hurry though...:p

Advertisement