Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Polish Painters

• 13-04-2008 6:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭

Could someone PM me the phone number for the Polish Painters who are advertising around the city?

Thanks

Andy.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 573 ✭✭✭MacGyver

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭vinny63

would you not think about hireing some local painters theres enough of them looking for work,because of all these foreigners under cutting them.look after our own thats what i say.did you try any of local painters first?.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Well the Polish are normally just as good and considerably cheaper. I can see why people pick them over Irish workers who they feel are ripping them off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

they tuk our jewbs!

Sully wrote: »
    Well the Polish are normally just as good and considerably cheaper. I can see why people pick them over Irish workers who they feel are ripping them off.

as i said there under cutting irish tradesmen and they have no qualifications and taking what ever they ern and putting nothing back into the ecconemy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

vinny63 wrote: »
    would you not think about hireing some local painters theres enough of them looking for work,because of all these foreigners under cutting them.look after our own thats what i say.did you try any of local painters first?.

Yeah I would if any of the four I've called had bothered to call me back.

A.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

as i said there under cutting irish tradesmen and they have no qualifications and taking what ever they ern and putting nothing back into the ecconemy.

So all the money they earn goes straight back to Poland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

Well they live in this country, pay Irish taxes, buy materials from local shops, buy their food here and pay their rent here.

I doubt that they have 'no qualifications' (how do you know that?).

Irish companies that take up contracts in foreign countries also send the profits home. So whats the difference?

We're all in Europe now, like it or not.

A.

Sully wrote: »
    So all the money they earn goes straight back to Poland?

what ever they spend in their little polish corner shops and of course the off licence .

alinton wrote: »
    Well they live in this country, pay Irish taxes, buy materials from local shops, buy their food here and pay their rent here.

I doubt that they have 'no qualifications' (how do you know that?).

Irish companies that take up contracts in foreign countries also send the profits home. So whats the difference?

We're all in Europe now, like it or not.

A.

Agreed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭kinkstr

what ever they spend in their little polish corner shops and of course the off licence .

Dont forget lidl.

Love these threads on boards, makes me feel so warm inside when everyone stands up for our hard done by polish brothers:eek:

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

They may be undercutting the locals, but that dosent seem to stop many of the builders and painters hiring them. I had local painters in recently and they have 12 foreigners on their books. This was a well established firm and they pride themselves in the quailty of their work.

Also, just take a look on any building site at the moment and see how many foreigners are employed there. I thing that the locals have priced themselves out of the market more so than been under cut. The sooner that the majority of our local tradesmen realise that the Celtic tiger is gone the sooner people will consider them for jobs again. Just my opinion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

They may have 12 foreigners on their books but I bet you they're not being paid the going rate.

The reason locals are expensive is because Ireland is expensive, you cant live in this country if your working for feck all!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Someone has issues with the Polish. So what if people shop in the Polish shops. Are you also making the assumption that they are all alcoholics?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I can undercut the Poles by painting my own home! :pac:

Mike.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,245 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

alinton wrote: »
    Yeah I would if any of the four I've called had bothered to call me back.

Ireland all over - good luck to the Polish guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 brickie No 1

shockwave wrote: »
    They may have 12 foreigners on their books but I bet you they're not being paid the going rate.

The reason locals are expensive is because Ireland is expensive, you cant live in this country if your working for feck all!!

agree an very true. so we all should become subies an lets make them work for us so we can get rich off there backs.

That may well be the case, but you can be damn sure that the builders or painting firm that they work for are still charging top dollar to carry out whatever work is required.

So they are lining their pockets at our expense. If they are good enough for the trades to use why shouldn't Joe public use them

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭edmund_f

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Minfadlek

As far as I know, any good tradesman is paid according to their skills and/or qualification. probably unless they're hired through an "agency" in which case the agency gets paid and passes on the "agreed rate" to the 'worker' .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Not this ****ing argument again. Jesus everyone should whisht up about it for a while. Some polish people are dickheads, some irish people are dickheads, some chinese people are dickheads. etc etc etc
    Tis life! No one nationality is better than the other. I'm getting so sick of people bitching about foreigners. Then again I'm sick of the PC brigade that won't shut up licking their arses too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭TheFlatulator

I am as Irish as they come, even got the freckles to prove it and you know what I will give the job to the Polish guys cos the Irish people that I have hired before and a good few that have riped me off, done the barest amount of work that they get away with.. They arrive at 10 and finish at 3 and drink tea all day and give out to you when you notice the work they have done is sloppy...

The polish on the other hand show up at 7:30 work till 6 and only take 30 min of break... They are pleasant and will do the job of a master crafts man.... and you know I pay them the same as i will the Irish because in there case they deserve it....

Irish people seem to have gotten lazy in the last few year... were has our spirit gone... You know where its gone to the same place as GREED went to....

You might say they are Irish workers out there that will do it same, you what post up here were they are and I will see if they can do the same job....

I am as Irish as they come, even got the freckles to prove it and you know what I will give the job to the Polish guys cos the Irish people that I have hired before and a good few that have riped me off, done the barest amount of work that they get away with.. They arrive at 10 and finish at 3 and drink tea all day and give out to you when you notice the work they have done is sloppy...

The polish on the other hand show up at 7:30 work till 6 and only take 30 min of break... They are pleasant and will do the job of a master crafts man.... and you know I pay them the same as i will the Irish because in there case they deserve it....

Irish people seem to have gotten lazy in the last few year... were has our spirit gone... You know where its gone to the same place as GREED went to....

You might say they are Irish workers out there that will do it same, you what post up here were they are and I will see if they can do the same job....
    That sweeping generalisation makes you no better than those who say the Polish workers are useless and hear to steal Irish jobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭TheFlatulator

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    That sweeping generalisation makes you no better than those who say the Polish workers are useless and hear to steal Irish jobs.

I will argue that.... I did ask for any irish people who are descent to be posted up, so be open to arguement and debate is a generalisation then... so be it....

And seeing that defending someone is generalisation then I would like to see what you have to say on the matter...

Also I am speaking from experience from dealing with irish people so I am not generalising I recounting the crap experence I have had....

So if you can show otherwise, please do....

My parents had polish painters last year to paint their house. The house is pretty big, with several rooms to paint. They came in around 9sh and left late afternoon / early evening. The work quality was brilliant, and they were will worth the money.

Aquos76 wrote: »
    They may be undercutting the locals, but that dosent seem to stop many of the builders and painters hiring them. I had local painters in recently and they have 12 foreigners on their books. This was a well established firm and they pride themselves in the quailty of their work.

Also, just take a look on any building site at the moment and see how many foreigners are employed there. I thing that the locals have priced themselves out of the market more so than been under cut. The sooner that the majority of our local tradesmen realise that the Celtic tiger is gone the sooner people will consider them for jobs again. Just my opinion

i bet all these established building firms etc!will let go there irish workers before they leave go all the polish cheap labour.we could all work for same rates of pay as the polish.If we were prepared to share a house with three or four other familys and split the bills.

i bet all these established building firms etc!will let go there irish workers before they leave go all the polish cheap labour.we could all work for same rates of pay as the polish.If we were prepared to share a house with three or four other familys and split the bills.

You are missing the point here, These established builders have no problems hiring foreigners to work for them, what ever the rate of pay that is been paid to them, the builders are not passing on the savings to their clients. So its a vicious circle. The builders are as guilty as they seem to be exploiting them so.

And seeing that defending someone is generalisation then I would like to see what you have to say on the matter...

How is calling Irish people lazy defending anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

A woman who's son I mind got polish painters in and they didn't turn up until 10am then left after an hour came back stayed for an hour then went again for a while came back again and left by 3pm.

Their work was only very average. The job took longer than they'd told her when she initially contacted them as they were going off elsewhere. It wasn't a case of waiting for paint to dry. She didn't get them to paint the rest of the place.

Advertisement