Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Acoustic Guitar Down Tuning

Options
  • 13-04-2008 6:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hi guy's

I've a question about down tuning an acoustic guitar. Looking to get down to A# anyone how this is possible?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Holmer

Reckon it'd sound pretty weird Wayne, I'd say the strings will go slack cos that's what, 3 steps down? Strings might just go slack. 7 string guitar would probably be the only way to go methinks. Don't have a guitar to hand, want to try it out of curiosity now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭JuliusFranco

on a nylon string classical guitar i tried to tune it down to an open B or C or something(based on a D chord, in the same way an open g is based on an a chord or an open d is based on a e chord) and then tuned the bottom string down another two steps, to get a fifth with the 5 string (if you catch my drift)

basically, bottom string is tuned down 5 steps, 5th and 4th is down 3 steps, 3rd down 1, 2nd as is, 1st down 1

this is from memory, it's a bit hazy, i might have had to tweak a bit after that, maybe adjust one or two strings a step either way to get it to sound what i was looking for (to play slide with - not sure what open chord it was)

as i said, this worked with nylon strings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Wayne SDS

Cheers Julius i think i get what you are saying, i'll have to try it out for sure ;-)

Holmer i reckon i've tried what you are thinking with it going totally slack and unplayable.

Im trying out a few different tuning's, all low, so if anyone has anything of interest let's hear it.

Thanks

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Maybe Im Being a bit naive and stupid here,but could you not just use a tuner :confused:?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭kawaii

You'll need to put heavier gauge strings on it I think. Otherwise it'll just be too slack and it'll buzz off the fretboard like crazy. Ask in a guitar shop, as you'll need to get your guitar set up if you're changing the string gauge.

Out of curiousity, why do you want to go all the way down there?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Wayne SDS

Yeah i was thinking i'd have to change to the heaviest gauge possible.

Its more out of curiosity. Korn play in A or A# and in they all play acoustic's in their MTV unplugged session.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shatners basoon

Heavy strings and if you wanted to keep it that way you'd probably want to adjust the neck to sort out the tension problems. Famous acoustic virtuoso guitarist michael hedges used all sorts of crazy tunings but had various guitars set up for them otherwise you'll run into problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭JuliusFranco

Heavy strings and if you wanted to keep it that way you'd probably want to adjust the neck to sort out the tension problems...

to adjust the neck, is it just a matter of messing with an allen key or should i bring it to a shop??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭kawaii

to adjust the neck, is it just a matter of messing with an allen key or should i bring it to a shop??

Definitely bring it to the shop unless you're certain you know what you're doing (which you aren't!). The truss rod, if misused, can cause the neck to warp permanently.

Advertisement