Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What cheers you up/makes you happy?

Options
  • 13-04-2008 7:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭

Hey!! :D

Just wondering what do you ladies do when you want to cheer yourselves up? I mean, is it just a matter of having some ben + jerry's or going out for a run or having a good old sob with a friend?? Or does anybody do anything else? Something that you can do all by yourself but that totally lifts your spirits.

I like having long baths or showers (accompanied by Lush products lol) where I can totally pamper myself. I also like to give my angel cards a flutter!! My friend on the otherhand likes to shop and buy lots of stuff she doesn't need!! Hehehe..

What do you do to make yourself happy?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭marshmallow

deffo get out the Lush products and have a pamper!

I love going for long walks in the woods. Or curling up in front of the fire with one of my cats on my lap.

If I'm upset about something, plotting/enacting revenge is always comforting. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭St Bill

Music always does it for me, and it's free! (unless I decide to update my ipod......buying 'a few songs' turns into a spendfest)

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

cant beat lush!! hmm. And the shopping is fantastic too. I did that this weekend. Bought lots of stuff I didnt need and I wasnt even trying to cheer myself up :D but I actually like to chill and watch tv. Read a book. Anything I can do alone really and doesnt involve talking to anyone else!!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭SarahSassy

The sun on my face and heat :) I am not a big cold fan... A nice meal, nice glass of wine, having a good conversation with a stranger, a good documentary, cup of tea, mashed potatoes, Twix's, a massage, swimming and good laugh with friends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

If im in a real bad mood, meeting friends and making them laugh cheers me up.

That and junk food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 rosarosa

sunshine.

I'm with sarahsassy there.

and the smell of freshly cut grass.

SarahSassy wrote: »
    The sun on my face and heat :) I am not a big cold fan... A nice meal, nice glass of wine, having a good conversation with a stranger, a good documentary, cup of tea, mashed potatoes, Twix's, a massage, swimming and good laugh with friends.

Thats fantastic. totally agree actually. But I do prefere my own company sometimes. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Lilly87

Shopping and buying loads of stuff !! Going for a walk when its sunny, having a laugh with friends, a cup of tea, a nice long bath and listening to music.

Also having a day off work and having no college assignments makes me happy too !!

Lilly, I really enjoy the day off work to. Sometimes doing the washing can take your mind to great places. teeheehee:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭DetectivFoxtrot

SarahSassy wrote: »
    The sun on my face and heat :) I am not a big cold fan... nice glass of wine

+1

also:

eating crisps, any kind, but in particular Meanies, Chipsticks, Banshee Bones. Chocolate doesn't do it for me...

Playing my piano

swim/sauna/steam

listening to upbeat music

venting to the OH about a particular problem

Practising on the voodoo doll I made of my boss

Hugs - bear ones

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Lil' Smiler

Mmm.. i have to agree with crisps.. meanies, snaps, wheelies, chickatees..mm

I like to go and play with my doggies, the seem to know when i need a hug so are gentle and come for a hug or a snuggle.

if it's not something i do alone it's talking to or getting a hug from my boyfriend, a hug from him solves everything & makes things much better.

or i like to look at my ex's bebo/facebook page and see how much better off i am without him and how i'm doing much better than him hehehe!!

i also like to throw loud music on in the house & dance & sing around the place.. it used to be great to take frustration out during gymnastics training, thing is because i had to be so tuned in, nothing else enters my mind so then afterwards i feel great because of the amazing work out and the adrenaline rush etc... stupid back getting hurt :(

I also talk to my mum... my mum and my boyfriend are the only 2 people that make everything ok again!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

- meeting up with friends
    - songs i like
    - icecream
    - sunny days
    - hugs from my bf, always makes anything seem a million times better

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Mrs_Doyle

Things that make me happy, in no particular order:

Shopping
    Holidays
    My Nephew
    Bold food
    Father Ted
    Dreaming about all the things me and my OH are gonna do with our future
    Shoes
    Bags
    Big Comfy PJ's
    Baths

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

My mates - love 'em to pieces.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

also - shopping
    how did i forget shopping?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Ck1989

Singing really loudly and badly in the shower

That and dancing madly around the place while blasting out whatever music I want (obviously with nobody else around....)

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Buzz Buzz

Walk along the prom on Galway Bay on a bright sunny morning!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭holly1

Getting out of my clothes and into my PJs and gownie.
    Rare Roast beef,yorki,mushy peas, mash potatoes and homemade gravy.
    Sitting in front of a big roaring fire on a stormy wet day.
    My grandaughter getting in to bed with me and having a cuddle(shes three)
    Having all my kids home together.
    Toast and marmalade.
    Sun Sea and Swimming pool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Im one for the simple things.

Sunny day in my S facing back garden.. sun all day.. with my best friend, having drinks and chewing the cudd :pac:

I would say himself, but I see him all teh toime :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Cooking.
    Shopping at markets for things to cook - vegetables so fresh they squeak if you rub them, fish that are still clear eyed and smell of nothing much, good cuts of meat, aromatic spices, freshly cut herbs.
    Beer.
    Watching my cats being cats.

Most of all:
    The feeling you get when you're doing the very final bit of a difficult and crappy job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Watching my cats being cats.
    Oh man, yeah. I miss my beautiful silky black cat so much. She was run over by a car. Nine years of age - not young but not extremely old for a cat either.
    Her name was Elizabeth - she reminded us of a young Liz Taylor when we got her. So beautiful and elegant, with a voice that would wake the dead. Then she discovered fellas and had dozens and dozens of gentleman callers over the years. As she got older, her streamlined elegance started to disappear and middle-aged spread took over. She became quite the flabby cat. As it turned out, she really was the feline Elizabeth Taylor.

She definitely cheered me up/made me feel happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

<snip>

rb_ie, I'll give you the bloody hose...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

>_< ^

for me... music. me and dustin (my mp3 player) go out for a walk and just chill. failing that, a puck around, usually if im more stressed/angry, or go to teh beach, always loved the beach. was pretty upset yesterday morning, and went for a surf, and came out just beaming with happiness. i wuvs the water.

friends are awsome, but harder to lean on from over here wehn stuff gets bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

A long, hot, wet, bubble bath; esp when there is heaps more water in the tank, there is none else in the house and I have a good book and a heap of strawberrys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

For me everything is better after a good night's sleep.

zzzzzzz + me = happier

Mashed potato got a few mentions in this thread so far, that also has some magical powers. Especially when combined with onion gravy. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,241 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

When I get PMs, IMs, and emails from this Irish lad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭SnoozyS

These make me happy:

Family (especially my 2 nieces)
    Friends
    Sunshine
    Holidays
    Sleep
    Junk Food
    Cups of Tea
    Bottle of Coke accompanied by a bag o chipsticks
    Singing in my lil car to my hearts content safe in the knowledge that no one can hear me:p

and it goes on and on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

when we go jumble sale-ing, off into the blue.

clearlake. i love clearlake. they make me so so so happy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Dudess wrote: »
    Oh man, yeah. I miss my beautiful silky black cat so much. She was run over by a car. Nine years of age - not young but not extremely old for a cat either.
    Her name was Elizabeth - she reminded us of a young Liz Taylor when we got her. So beautiful and elegant, with a voice that would wake the dead. Then she discovered fellas and had dozens and dozens of gentleman callers over the years. As she got older, her streamlined elegance started to disappear and middle-aged spread took over. She became quite the flabby cat. As it turned out, she really was the feline Elizabeth Taylor.

She definitely cheered me up/made me feel happy.

My cat, Kasper made me happy too. He died two weeks ago and every evening I have a conversation with my mum and dad about how we miss him. He used to sit at the dinner table with my family every night and my parents still pull his chair out so he can get up. I keep thinking I hear him purring or scratching at the door too. I moved home 5 weeks ago, 3 weeks before he died. The day after I moved home was a Sunday and I was really down as my OH had gone away and I felt I was going backwards being in my parents house, even for a short time. I heard the door creak open and it was Kasper. he knew I was upset and had come up to get in to bed with me and cheer me up. I'm really glad that he died while I was at home and I got a last few weeks with him.
    Thaedydal wrote: »
    A long, hot, wet, bubble bath; esp when there is heaps more water in the tank, there is none else in the house and I have a good book and a heap of strawberrys.

I fully agree with this. A hot bubble bath with a glass of wine/nibbles and the knowledge that there's more hot water to fill it up if you want to stay longer.

Other things that cheer me up are microwave popcorn, a big glass of diet coke with a film and cooking. I find the cooking thing especially true when I've had a bad day at work. Coming home and cooking something tasty always de-stresses me.

Advertisement