Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mark Speight thread banning.

Options
  • 13-04-2008 7:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭

Banned him for a week? thats bullsh*t..... ban the other geezer for being a tw*t
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Banned him for a week? thats bullsh*t..... ban the other geezer for being a tw*t
    He's a well known twat, its a live and let live thing.

Sorry to hear this, tragic end to a tragic story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Agreed.

Some crappy modding right there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=82 tbh.

Arguing a moderators decision in thread, along with personally abusing another poster? You're going to last long.

Forky wrote: »
    Agreed.

Some crappy modding right there.
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=82

You're going to be proven wrong though, just thought I'd give you the heads up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

:rolleyes:

I just believe in a bit of respect.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Posts moved from this thread. He abused another poster, he got banned. What's the probem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Personal abuse, no matter how seemingly justified, can't be tolerated. Can you imagine if it was...?!

No personal abuse has to be one of the biggest rules on the whole of boards, it's in every single charter and though I'm aware I've broken it a few times myself, I can't see how people don't "get it".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

In fairness though throw an infraction for it, it is hardly ban worthy.
    Personal abuse, no matter how seemingly justified, can't be tolerated. Can you imagine if it was...?!

God yes.

Feck this, feck that, Ill ram this feckin pitchfork up your hole. Ya bollix, ya bastard, god ya wouldnt be able to move for the amount of bastards.

Ride me sideways was another one.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Tha Gopher wrote: »
    In fairness though throw an infraction for it, it is hardly ban worthy.
    The charter says otherwise...

Personal Abuse
    - Posters who abuse others on here will be banned. Permanent bans will be handed out on a first offence if a moderator feels it is warranted. There is no argument on this one. Abuse someone and you will be banned. Calling someone an idiot is abuse. Don't attack the poster, attack the post. Posting PM's publicly without consent could be met with harsh consequences, especially if they do not have any place in the discussion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,214 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Maybe I'm inviting death here, but theres an ages old infraction from AH I got for personal abuse. Basically calling the OP a gob****e for posting a thread saying drink-driving is way over-exaggerated or something like that. In retrospect he knew what he did was wrong.

Maybe Terry agreed with me on that though which is why an infraction was received and not a ban. In fact it was a yellow card: not even a point on my profile.

In fact if anyone can find a method to Terry's madness; let me know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭Kanoe

worst ban ever

Please do us the courtesy of explaining why. In the mean time, I'll do a bit of explaining myself. Personal abuse, no matter how seemingly justified, is not permitted on this site. If it was, things would get seriously ugly as there are a lot of nasty bullying types on Boards unfortunately.

Even if someone says: "I think George Bush is a legend, **** the Palestinians, let them rot for all I care" and someone else replies with "stfu you moron" the second person, while totally right, will still get a ban - because that is personal abuse.

Overheal wrote: »

I don't think there is any tbh, I think it just depends on how much he's had to drink :D

Although, could be something like
    Can #1: Feelin' fiiinne
    Can #2: Ooooh yeaaahh

Dudess wrote: »
    Please do us the courtesy of explaining why. In the mean time, I'll do a bit of explaining myself. Personal abuse, no matter how seemingly justified, is not permitted on this site. If it was, things would get seriously ugly as there are a lot of nasty bullying types on Boards unfortunately.

Even if someone says: "I think George Bush is a legend, **** the Palestinians, let them rot for all I care" and someone else replies with "stfu you moron" the second person, while totally right, will still get a ban - because that is personal abuse.
    I didn't respond to this thread to get involved in a personal dispute with you, this is feedback and I am within my right to share my thoughts on the topic, or any topic which comes up here without requesting your consent.

zxy wrote: »
    I didn't respond to this thread to get involved in a personal dispute with you, this is feedback and I am within my right to share my thoughts on the topic, or any topic which comes up here without requesting your consent.
    Erm, you can't just go around making statements without backing them up even somewhat and you've commented on the moderation of AH a number of times, negatively, without even explaining why you think AH is badly modded, or in this case, why you think it was the "worst ban ever" so you should explain yourself or GTFO tbh.

Oh and having access to post in any forum on boards is a privilage, not a right, given that it's a privately owned and administrated website.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,812 ✭✭✭Charlie

Cool the jets lads, i've accepted the banning and admitted I was wrong to make such a post. But I still stand by what I said, in theory, I just should have kept it to myself and not posted it.

Who's to think I could cause such a fuss :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Its a bit creepy when someone else starts a thread on your behalf isnt it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,812 ✭✭✭Charlie

6th wrote: »
    Its a bit creepy when someone else starts a thread on your behalf isnt it :D

Creepy, yet ego-massaging :D!

I had a wander into Feedback because Boards has been on a crawl all day and I wasn't sure if it was their end or mine here in ucd. Low and behold I see a two page thread about my banning! :o

If ever I start a civil uprising, i've already profiled a number of Boardsies from that thread who seem willing to be my bebob's and rocksteady's!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Overheal wrote: »
    Maybe Terry agreed with me on that though which is why an infraction was received and not a ban. In fact it was a yellow card: not even a point on my profile.

Twit, silly beggar, etc. are usually inoffensive to most posters, gob****e (depending on context! Including a previous term is considerably less offensive than making it the entire sum of your post) can be 'mostly harmless'... it's a subjective call by the moderator that gets there first. You will most likely get called on it. Whether it results in a stern PM, an infraction, or a ban depends on the moderator (Although, stuff like this is often discussed because it's borderline.) What we lose in consistency, we gain in flexibility and fairness.

In this case, the post was an attack on a poster and people of a similar mindset. It didn't add much to the discussion, and what little it did was negativity. He didn't create this thread; he posted and most likely knew he'd get a slap for it but went ahead and typed it. Sometimes these things have to be said, and sometimes you have to appreciate that there are consequences. (Sekkrit hint: articulate and attack the post rather than the poster and you generally won't get banned from AH... keep it a sekwet!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Oh, and zxy: you're wrong. You're so wrong that it's laughable.

I don't feel like backing up this opinion. This is fun.

No personal dispute. I gave you an explanation for the moderator's decision. It's very straightforward - personal abuse can't be tolerated. You are well within your rights to share your thoughts, but you can't expect to be taken seriously if you won't back those views up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

It seems like a straight forward, run of the mill ban to me. charlie mchugh doesn't seem to be complaining about it. It's only a week after all. I'm sure he'll survive.

Now, if it was a two week ban...........

No personal dispute. I gave you an explanation for the moderator's decision. It's very straightforward - personal abuse can't be tolerated. You are well within your rights to share your thoughts, but you can't expect to be taken seriously if you won't back those views up.
    I don't expect you would anyway and an explanation would be wasted breath.

I dont have issues with moderators tackling personal abuse issues but when the handbook section of what constitutes personal abuse overrides common sense something is missing from the picture. I read the thread which brought up the topic and while I understand AH is more subversive and prone to attack, the member who was banned appeared to have much more integrity than the person who provoked the gesture. He was banned for defending the tragic death of someone, while the poster who degraded the topic was effectively rewarded.

But it doesn't matter. Personal abuse is personal abuse is personal abuse. Even when the person doing the personal abusing is correct.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Yes but he could have easily defended that person without resorting to a personal attack. I don't see how not banning someone for doing something that doesn't deserve or warrant a ban is seen as a reward in any sense.

Right, so you've no explanation. Fair enough. Don't expect people not to ridicule/criticise your posts though.
    I don't particularly give a sh*t.
    Interesting you've made your mind up about me in the space of a couple of weeks. If you were to read through my posts you'd actually see I'm not that much of a c*nt - I swear. I know it's just assumed I would be, simply because I moderate After Hours.
    I dont know you, I dont frequent after hours and I certainly don't connect you with the banning of said member. I just happened to observe what I believe to be decisions based on rule book standards opposed to actual deed done. I suggest you stand back from the topic and stop taking it so personally.

Yes but he could have easily defended that person without resorting to a personal attack. I don't see how not banning someone for doing something that doesn't deserve or warrant a ban is seen as a reward in any sense.
    I have seen more subversive and intimidating attacks on users, which are not so obvious to the eye and are never called. As I already stated, I don't have issue with moderators dealing with personal abuse and a warning would have been necessary.

[edit]it was indirectly rewarding the member who degraded the report by punishing the member who defended it.

• Advertisement

I don't particularly give a sh*t.
    You do really. Otherwise you wouldn't be posting sweeping statements like "worst moderating ever" etc.

Advertisement