Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mark Speight thread banning.

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Dudess wrote: »
    Even if someone says: "I think George Bush is a legend, **** the Palestinians, let them rot for all I care" and someone else replies with "stfu you moron" the second person, while totally right, will still get a ban - because that is personal abuse.

here we go again :) who's to say that someone that someone is wrong for posting that? Do people who post statements you agree with receive more protection than people who don't? There is no right or wrong, Dudess, there are only points of view. You're supposed to be impartial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

tbh wrote: »
    who's to say that someone is wrong for posting that?
    I said if such a situation arose where a poster called another poster a "moron" for posting "f*ck the Palestinians, let them rot for all I care", the first person would be correct, because anyone who posts something like that is a moron. How is stating that a group of people can "rot" not moronic?
    Do people who post statements you agree with receive more protection than people who don't?
    Obviously not, considering I explained to zxy that, while a person who thinks such an individual as the hypothetical one above is a moron, they cannot be allowed to say so here, since personal abuse is personal abuse is personal abuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

I said if such a situation arose where a poster called another poster a "moron" for posting "f*ck the Palestinians, let them rot for all I care", the first person would be correct, because anyone who posts something like that is a moron. How is stating that a group of people can "rot" not moronic?

it's moronic in your opinion. If I said I'd be happy for the IRA lads who killed kids to rot in prison, is that moronic? If I said I was happy for paedophiles to rot, is that moronic?

The point I'm trying to make is that there are not "right" or "wrong" opinions, but you keep ascribing those values to them. Really all you are doing is making a rod for your own back.

But you're not comparing like with like. "Palestinians" is a blanket term - it could mean suicide bombers, but it could also mean innocent civilians.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

"Palestinians" is a blanket term - it could mean suicide bombers, but it could also mean innocent civilians.

Sorry but i have to agree with tbh on this one. The above comment is your perception of what a palestinian is. I think you need to leave your own opinions at the door sometimes. I think it affects your judgement sometimes. I am not trying to be a d!ck

• Advertisement

I'm also with tbh, tbh.

I kinda know where you're coming from also Dudess but you are using a bad example. I'll give you a better one:
    Poster uimhir a h'aon: "The barman only gave me €2.50 change from a tenner when the drinks cost €7.50. I'm never going there again after they overcharged me"

Poster numéro deux: "he gave you the right change, idiot".

Mod: "banned for personal abuse".

I think there's a bit of confuddlement here (sorry if I'm wrong): zxy didn't think charlie mchugh was out of line using personal abuse since he felt it was deserved. I pointed out that no matter how justified a personal attack seems, it will result in a banning, as personal abuse is personal abuse and exceptions can't be made.

tbh asked me:
    Do people who post statements you agree with receive more protection than people who don't?
    The above clearly demonstrates that this is not the case. As I said, if someone said the people of Palestine can all rot and someone else posted "stfu you moron" while I would agree with said person, I'd still have to ban them for personal abuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Oh yeah it was a joke Charlie McHugh was banned. Theres my opinion on the matter....

I did, or I meant to send him a PM, showing my support.

He called someone a "prick". Why should an exception be made just because you feel that insult was deserved?

This Speight charachter died. Someone and others were making light of the situation. I don't mean it was a joke as in a stupid decision but just come on you have to see where he's coming from. He took it upon himself to lay down the law, and cop some people on...he didn't call the person a prick out of malice or anything, and in my view did it was good intentons. He's a good guy from what I see.

Its not like the thread was about 'boardsies first time; yay or nay?', or any simulary jovial threads, this is death we're talking about here...serious business.

• Advertisement

Understood totally and you're not wrong... but (at the risk of repeating myself ;)) it was personal abuse.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

He took it upon himself to lay down the law, and cop some people on

This can be done without resorting to abusing the person.

It doesn't bother me and your under no obligation to me to explain the reason Charlie McHugh was banned, but I think there must be a grey area when it comes to modding Boards.,..these are the guidelines that we adhere to when singing up for this thing but.....

TIMOTHY MCVEIGH IS A PERSONAL HERO OF MINE....BRAIN DEAD RETARDS etc..etc.: BANNING
    I LOVE EVERYONE ON BOARDS: NO BANNING perhaps even a thankyou.

You are a prick for making derogatory comments about a guy that is dead: Grey Area....depending on the poster in question and their history either a ban or just a simple here __________ no need for that.

This can be done without resorting to abusing the person.

Heat of the moment? Perhaps he could have been given the chance to edit his post, or delete it.

Advertisement