Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Power vs Torque : Petrol vs Diesel

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

JHMEG wrote: »
    Matt, why are you so relentless in your defence of diesel?

Hardly, Im merely trying to add balance to a lobsided thread/viewpoint. I have no love for diesel engines more than petrol (I have had one diesel engine ever, Im just lucky enough to have owned excellent engines of both type), but you specifically have made it your mission to spread fear, doubt and misinformation, be it in regard to performance or environment. Every counter-point I make has been to point out the faults of both fossil fuels*, Im far from a defender of "diesel".

*Except when I was paraphrasing you to try and bring some sense to this via parody

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Matt Simis wrote: »
    Every counter-point I make has been to point out the faults of both fossil fuels, Im far from a defender of "diesel".
    You seem to be trying to argue that there are little or no differences between them, performance but more so pollution wise?

You seem to be trying to argue that there are little or no differences between them, performance but more so pollution wise?

Im not trying to argue anything. The reality is, as E92 pointed out, they drive quite different. They also pollute in different ways. To merely brand just one of them as lethal (thereby indirectly impling the other is not) is grossly incorrect and unethical.

Sadly Diesel (the man and engine) had irrational detractors for the last 100 years, especially in the UK, where it is considered dirty and "cheap" almost since its inception.

The reality is, as E92 pointed out, they drive quite different. They also pollute in different ways.
    I agree too, with diesel being worse on both counts.
    Sadly Diesel (the man and engine) had irrational detractors for the last 100 years, especially in the UK, where it is considered dirty and "cheap" almost since its inception.
    Up until recently it has been cheap and dirty. Now it's not so cheap, but it's still far dirtier than petrol thanks to a fcuk up by the EU:

"An American consumer can buy a super-clean Mercedes diesel today in their local dealer, while a German will have to wait until 2015 to buy something even remotely similar. There is simply no excuse for allowing Europe to lose its leadership in this area." said EU Transport & Environment Minister, Jos Dings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Dear Mod,

I happened upon this thread in the hope of reading peoples view on the Torque Vs Power debate. I was horrorified to find 4 pages of usless Diesel Vs Petrol, emissions and environmental issues. Whats the world coming to allowing such amounts of off topic talk!

• Advertisement

kayos wrote: »
    Dear Mod,

I happened upon this thread in the hope of reading peoples view on the Torque Vs Power debate.
    Sorry, I was hoping for power vs torque but...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Sorry, I was hoping for power vs torque but...

Your signature started it. ;)

Cionád wrote: »
    Your signature started it. ;)
    BrianD3 did in post #39 actually.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

kayos wrote: »
    Dear Mod,

I happened upon this thread in the hope of reading peoples view on the Torque Vs Power debate. I was horrorified to find 4 pages of usless Diesel Vs Petrol, emissions and environmental issues. Whats the world coming to allowing such amounts of off topic talk!
    Leave it another half day and we'll have invoked the the relative merits of V-tec engines, the Audi R10 TDI and just about every other quasi-autistic argument of car fanboyism...

It's VTEC, not V-tec, vtec, vtech or vtack.:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭siralfalot

It's VTEC, not V-tec, vtec, vtech or vtack.:p

vtec_motiv.jpg

:p:p:D

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭conneem-TT

Back on the topic a bit, I found this a good read when comparing power to torque :)

http://www.vettenet.org/torquehp.html

siralfalot wrote: »

:p:p:D
    156 owners aren't in a position to poke fun at other people's cars.:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭siralfalot

156 owners aren't in a position to poke fun at other people's cars.:p

meh... I have enough of a sence of humour to poke fun at my own cars on a daily basis, so i feel as though i can do so to others ;) it all lighthearted fun :D

as for the origional argument.......

I have two cars

car no 1:
    Alfa 156 2.4 5cyl turbo diesel running somewhere around 200bhp
    0-60 mph just below 8 sec

car no 2:
    Fiat Coupe 2.0 5cyl turbo petrol 220bhp
    0-60 mph 6.3 sec

yes the diesel is quick, but like for like the petrol will always win

siralfalot wrote: »

yes the diesel is quick, but like for like the petrol will always win

Most likely, however diesel cheats, bigger engines, turbos etc! The cost of the vehicle is what puts it in whatever class and defines its competitors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 cbm

Diesel Sucks!!!:p COD4 Rocks:D

Advertisement