Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mixing desk help

Options
  • 13-04-2008 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭

Ok, I've been going in a out of the studio for a while and its starting to add up. So to try save a bit i want to build my own studio. But i don't want to give up on the high quality of professional studios.
    I have preamps, interface, solfware and all the bare essentials sorted but i'm stuck on my mixer.

As i said i want to save abit of money so under €2000 would be best for me, something with around 24 ins(with a few built in preamps in possible)

any suggestions??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

do you really need a mixer? Realistically speaking?

Anything you're gonna get for under 2k is not going to really improve your sound from doing everything in the box.
    If you don't feel like it's a real studio unless you have a big mixer, well, er, you need to ask yourself why.

the high quality of professional studios?
    if these professional studios high quality is determined by a mixing desk for under 2k it's not very high quality. Good preamps and converters are pretty much all you need.

Most of the time getting a mixer for that price (unless you find the deal of the century on ebay) is actually going to degrade your signal path.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Are you looking to use a desk for inputs to your DAW?
    Or is it just for mixing on?

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭patrick151

inputs mainly

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭patrick151

thanks

and outta curiosity is there a difference between a interface and converter?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

patrick151 wrote: »
    thanks

and outta curiosity is there a difference between a interface and converter?

well interfaces tend to have converters, however you can get dedicated converters (things like apogees rosetta) that output digital data into your interface (via adat optical, spdif etc.). Most interfaces tend to be A/D converters, D/A converters, and a way to connect it to your computer (via usb, firewire, pcmcia, etc.).

Can you be specific about what you have so far, and what you plan on getting? Mac/Pc, Logic/PTLE/Cubase/Nuendo/etc. ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement