Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to put files so they can be directly downloaded?

Options
  • 13-04-2008 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,205 ✭✭✭✭

Hi i am working on a website at the moment for a band.

I am using Mambo, on a website i have with the hosting company siteground.com

within this there is a control panel, and with the file manager in that i dont seem to be able to find a place to put files, so that i can obtain a direct download link for them.

can anyone help me out with this?

basically what folder should i put them in, and how would i go about finding the link?

thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

If you put them in the web directory they will be accessible. I've no idea how siteground structure stuff, but public_html or something like that seems to be quite common

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

Hi,

Basically, you can put them anywhere you want, with regards to where you put files pertaining to the rest of the website.

For example, the index page of the website i.e. the page that shows up when you type www.yourdomain.com is called either index.html or index.php etc.

Now if you type in www.yourdomain.com, the server knows to direct you to the index page by default, but what it's really doing is treating the request like you had typed www.yourdomain.com/index.html

Now if you put a file (of whatever type, lets say mp3 for example) in to the same folder as index.html, called band_song.mp3, your link to download that file directly would be www.yourdomain.com/band_song.mp3

I hope this has made things clearer for you. PM me if you need any further help if you wish!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,205 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Thanks for the replies,

It makes sense to me, so i will see if i can put it into practice and get back to you,

thanks again

Advertisement