Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

nut torque settings

Options
  • 13-04-2008 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭

have an altezza and just replaced the front left wishbone, any idea where i could the torque settings for all the nuts.
    the car is an '98 2ltr

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Which nuts?!

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭wex96

the nuts that hold on the wishbone and track arm and steering arm

I don't know what the torque settings should be - never used them; use a spanner to tighten them as tight as you can. Then get a long bar and give them a quarter turn.

Where the track rod end goes into the hub - be careful with this as it's easily over-tightened and damage can be done! Get it as tight as you can, then give an 8th of a turn. Is there a split pin that secures this nut?

Hope this helps.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

wex96 wrote:
    have an altezza and just replaced the front left wishbone, any idea where i could the torque settings for all the nuts.
    the car is an '98 2ltr

You'll have to get your hands on a workshop manual for the settings - If you know any mechanics than they should be able to get a look at it for you. Failing that, ask one of the dealers nicely.
    land9 wrote:
    I don't know what the torque settings should be - never used them; use a spanner to tighten them as tight as you can. Then get a long bar and give them a quarter turn.

Where the track rod end goes into the hub - be careful with this as it's easily over-tightened and damage can be done! Get it as tight as you can, then give an 8th of a turn. Is there a split pin that secures this nut?

Hope this helps.

I don't agree, you risk the bolts breaking when driving and hit a bump if theyre over tightened. Suspension components should always be correctly torqued.

stevec wrote: »
    I don't agree, you risk the bolts breaking when driving and hit a bump if theyre over tightened. Suspension components should always be correctly torqued.

And how many times have you fitted suspension components?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

land9 wrote: »
    And how many times have you fitted suspension components?

Only a handful of times, that's why I use torque settings rather than the backstreet garage method.

Fine if you've 10 yrs experience as a mechanic, I don't and I suspect the OP doesn't either.

wex96 wrote: »
    the car is an '98 2ltr

Found the torque settings I used last time - pm sent, let me know if you want it.

Advertisement