Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hertz Admin Fee- not sure if this is the right place....

Options
  • 13-04-2008 10:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

Hi All,

I rented a car in the UK last month from Hertz. nearly 3 weeks after I had returned the car, I received a letter from them saying I owe them £35.25 for an alleged traffic violation that took place while I was using their car.

They have not provided any proof or other info and sent me a tax invoice with the with the penalty type "speedin" and have said if I don't pay within 30 days, the fee will be transferred to an external collection agency and this will generate further costs to me.

Has this ever happened to anyone and are hertz allowed to charge people without providing any evidence?

thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I have never used them so I can't comment on their policy but I would contact them and ask for details of the alleged offence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

They have received a Notice of Intended Prosecution from the police basically saying that your car was caught speeding by a camera device. All hertz have done is they have written back to the police with your details. That's why they have charged you £35.25. It is their fee for digging out your details and responding to the police's letter. Normally they will include a photocopy of the letter received from the police.

Now the police are extremely unlikely to follow this up. Did Hertz say they had given your details to the police?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 sprint316

They haven't mentioned anything about the Guards in the letter they have sent to me, nor have they provided a photo as evidence. Does that mean that if followed up by the guards that I would be liable to another fine?

Without such evidence, it is difficult to pay such a fine.
    Thanks for reply

It is possible but the UK police are highly unlikely to follow up on a driver with an Irish address. It is too much bother for them.

Now if the police were to chase you up they will send you the photos etc so you will have all the evidence before you have to pay.

I would ask hertz for a copy of their letter from the police.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 sprint316

Will do, thanks for the advice. Will update this tread as soon as I hear back from them.
    Thanks for your help

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

I'd ignore it until you hear further.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I got gatso'd in Switzerland in a Hertz rental. They just charged it to the credit card used to pay for the car and sent me a letter telling me afterwards.

Depending on the country they react differently.
    In the UK they simple give your details to the police and charge you an admin fee.
    In the USA and most other states they charge the credit card and send you a letter saying so.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

They will probably take the admin fee off your credit card that you used for the original rental agreement whether you acknowledge the letter or not.

Of course you could always ring your credit card company in advance and tell them to block any attempt by Hertz to draw money from your card.

Don't know if they would then still bother trying to pursue you for £35.

Don't know if they would then still bother trying to pursue you for £35.
    They will write a few letters and they will then drop it. But don't try to rent again from them.

Most rental agreements have a clause that authourises them to charge your card upto 3 months after the end of the rental to cover such charges.

• Advertisement
Advertisement