Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brendan Balfe's Sunday Best - theme tune i.d. request

• 13-04-2008 11:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭

Does anybody have any idea what this tune is ? RTE Radio 1 just after 11 on Sunday night, for those who don't know.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I'm not familiar with this particular show but Brendan usually uses a certain instrumental version of 'On The Street Where You Live' from My Fair Lady as his sig tune.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Boardsbud wrote: »
    Does anybody have any idea what this tune is ? RTE Radio 1 just after 11 on Sunday night, for those who don't know.

Why not mail the bould Brendan, I'm sure he would be delighted to enlighten you balfeb@rte.ie

Please let us know what turns up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Boardsbud

Tracked it down by other means. I had a fair idea it sounded like Pat Metheny Group so I did a bit of online investigation.

The track is Beat 70 from the 1993 album "The Road to You"

Yes he used to use "on the street where you lived" on his old (much missed) Balfe Street programme on Saturday. Why don't we hear this man on the radio more often anyway ? A talented broadcaster among a lot of crap being turned out from RTE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Bum Boy

Greenman wrote: »
    Why not mail the bould Brendan, I'm sure he would be delighted to enlighten you balfeb@rte.ie

Please let us know what turns up.

Shame ! I had hoped you'd make contact and inform us of your find. I think he's in a class of his own Balfe B, always very enjoyable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Agreed. The man's a legend and should be pressed into service far more frequently. Wasn't he doing a Sat post-lunchtime gig kinda recently? That was fabulously mellow listening... More please

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Wasn't he doing a lot of the medium-wave only programmes at the weekends (till they shut that down of course - he did the switch off programme for MW i'm pretty sure)? He tends to pop up randomly at the weekends and late at night...

He's a good broadcaster...knows his music inside out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Brendan did have a regular slot at midday on Saturdays for years, until Marian Finucane moved there. This programme occasionally reappears as summer cover for Saturday View.

Brendan does have a autobiog out profiling his career, Radio Man. Must get round to reading it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Wrote to the bould Brendan and here was his reply.

John

Thanks for your note. The site you pointed at offered so many options, I couldn’t find any relevant bits so I gave up looking. I did look at the youtube site and you appear to have all the medical symptoms of anorakism, not terminal, I suspect, but long-lasting.

I appreciate you kind comments and wish you and your family every success,

Best regards
    Brendan

Advertisement