Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats Sligo IT actually like????

• 13-04-2008 11:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Considering going to Sligo IT nxt September 08! But feeling a itle bit confused...

I'v heard some good things about Sligo it, But has to be said that I'v heard a lot more bad things like "its a dump" nd "why wud ya go there"
    Since I didnt attend the open day and don't really no sligo that well at all,

I'd really appreciate if I got some other views of people who are goint to/went to sligo it!

Tanks 4 ne comments xxx

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I really enjoyed my time there. The lecturers that I had were mostly fairly good and were always there to help you out if you needed it. One of them even started putting on extra revision classes at lunchtime which people could attend if they felt they needed it (they were optional and nothing new was introduced in them).

The facilities are good enough. There are quite a few computer labs and most have pretty good computers in them but I think some are still kitted out with old windows 2000 computers. Sporting wise the old gym there which was really only a room has been gotten rid of and there is a new gym now. It's a little more expensive than the old gym but there is a lot more equipment in it.

Sligo itself has gotten a lot of new developments in recent years so the amount of shops/pubs/nightclubs has increased and they are better than they were even a couple of years ago. So the nightlife is much better than it was and there is a good variety.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

Its not a dump at all, I really enjoyed my time there and agree the lecturers are, on the whole good (you'll always have the one or two not so;)), generous with their time if you've any probs etc.

The facilities are good. friendly and fun-lovin students and its a nice place to be. You should take a trip up there and have a look around and chat to a few people about whatever course your interested in if you can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 steve staunton

you wont learn anything. FACT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

What course are you thinking of doing there OP? My background is Engineering and the majority of the facilities there were very good.
    My first 2 years were just a big piss up.
    Where are you moving from?
    Sligo town it's self is grand, good craic if you're a student. Lots of shops / pubs / clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

you wont learn anything. FACT

I learned how to shotgun a can of Bavaria through a funnel :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 delicious

Emm:cool:
    Thinking of Interior Architecture but I'm not all so sure yet:confused:
    Moving from mayo, so nt to far! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

Moving from mayo will be no problem to ya so! lots of your fellow countymen+women down there. Im sure you'd enjoy your time there, as i must say i did when i attended.
    The facilities and accommodation options have vastly improved in recent years.
    You should take a trip down to try and speak to some of the Interior Arch. students to see what its really like. I do know they do alot of project work and could be busy at this time of the year, but it would be no harm to get a genuine feel for the course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Depends where you're coming from

If you come from the sticks of Mayo you'll have a ball
    If you come from a big city you'll think its a kip

It's an alright spot, not got anything great to say about the place though. The facilities are alright but there's not enough computers in the place (same as every IT/Uni though)
    The canteen is obviously a kip
    The other canteen in the Aula is grand but you get sick of eating Paninis/rolls/sandwiches all the time - same goes for the new place in the MPC

The property management companies up there are pretty much total cnuts but I still use them because of convenience. It's handy living beside the college - Because I used to go home at lunch and cook my own food, saving a fortune and eating healthy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Depends where you're coming from

If you come from the sticks of Mayo you'll have a ball
    If you come from a big city you'll think its a kip

I'm sure you dont mean that people from the country wouldn't know any better.... you mean if you come from a city, you'll know what a kip looks like I presume?:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:;)

By the way, i wouldnt say it deserves to be called it a kip. No matter where you come from.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Fly High

It looks like I'll be moving here after a year in Galway, I'm not a happy camper! I'm considering taking my second choice so that I can stay here, is Sligo really that bad?

• Advertisement

Louise~ wrote: »
    It looks like I'll be moving here after a year in Galway, I'm not a happy camper! I'm considering taking my second choice so that I can stay here, is Sligo really that bad?

What a perfect example. If you're used to the craic/nights out (Variety)/lifestyle of Galway... it'll be like getting a brick into the face when you hit Sligo

Fantastic.... I think it's made worse for me that I'm not a clubber, I've been to the clubs in Galway and at least you can go to GPO or Cuba for a variety and I like those clubs butI've been to envy and I wanted to tear my eyes out. I go to punk/hardcore/metal gigs of unsigned bands all the time here, I think that's what I'll miss the most...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭dingding

If you are offered your first choice, you won't get the option to take lower choice courses in the CAO.

Use Change of Mind to put the courses in the actual order that you want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Fantastic.... I think it's made worse for me that I'm not a clubber, I've been to the clubs in Galway and at least you can go to GPO or Cuba for a variety and I like those clubs butI've been to envy and I wanted to tear my eyes out. I go to punk/hardcore/metal gigs of unsigned bands all the time here, I think that's what I'll miss the most...

oh god help you then.
    theres a bit of a scene around sligo, alternative stuff is not catered for at all in sligo... they even shut down The Left Bank.

theres a bit of a scene around sligo, alternative stuff is not catered for at all in sligo...

I don't get it, which one is it?? :D
    The scene in Galway is brilliant right now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 :D

delicious wrote: »
    Considering going to Sligo IT nxt September 08! But feeling a itle bit confused...

:confused: ME TOO!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 talancaine

ok so i was in sligo a while ago and i went to a mad club with a mad beer garden like an ally... it looked some some 80's dive my dad would have went to... what was that called?? it seemed like a nacker hole and some mental guy followed us back to the hotel, is that anything to judge the town by???

i'm prob going to sligo in september... i need to know if theres something better to do??? i mean i'm pretty much coming from dublin outs... am i going to want to die after the first week???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

Sligo is a quinnessential provincial Irish town,think Tralee, Navan, Athlone. main points
    It has a litter problem/soccer is the main sport/surrounding country is beautiful/Outdoor types will love it, surfing, hillwalking etc/Shopping ,all the usual English shops/Culture pretty vibrant arts scene/Nightlife I am too old n ow but I used to have a ball there is a dedicated live music venue/Traffic and car parking pretty sh*tty/Public transport ok but nothing after 630 bank holidays or sundays/Eating out ok but improving thank god/ Accomodation plenty of choice relatvely cheap.

Ignore anything John Cleary has to say on the subject he came up here from Galway with a chip on his shoulder, I think he expected people to fall at his feet 'oh you are from Galway you demigod'

BTW John London is a big city, Dublin is a city, Gaway is a town.

Ignore anything John Cleary has to say on the subject he came up here from Galway with a chip on his shoulder, I think he expected people to fall at his feet 'oh you are from Galway you demigod'

BTW John London is a big city, Dublin is a city, Gaway is a town.

LOL, said like a true Sligo native trying to defend the best they can... can't blame you

There is NOTHING in Sligo, and I mean that. I know professionals living in Sligo... they say it's more worth their while (pay wise) to drive even to holes like CARRICK ON SHANNON for work... that says a lot.

Whereas the poster above is just TALK TALK TALK, I have references (referees?!) that could vouge for what I say

I'm not going to get in to an argument about PLACE vs. PLACE - what's the point? Sligo is a dump, I was never more happier to get out of a city/town/hole/kip/dump that is Sligo... absolutily nothing going for it.....except the bypass ;)

In defence to Sligo, there is great scenery/walking/water hobbies. I volunteer with the RNLI and did a few drills up in Sligo - It's a fairly active place. So too is the Mountain Rescue (Not involved directly so couldn't give you facts) but the oul Germans love getting lost on Benbulben. I love walking up Knocknarea/Glencar on a nice, dry evening.... unfortuntely due to our Irish climate the place does be nearly water-logged most of the time.

Main turn off about Sligo; The accent and the women, that look like their 50 inbred brothers... they'll shoot/kick you to death if ya don't give the sisters enough pocket money to get the ferry to the UK for a quick kick to the ovaries (aka. A sligo birth termination)

/JC awaits ban :D

-EDIT- I'm expecting a reponse to the 'professionals willing to travel' comment... Basicly it's cheaper to live and sh1t in Sligo, and travel to work than it is to just to the whole lot in their working town.... HTH :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Sligo is a dump, I was never more happier to get out of a city/town/hole/kip/dump that is Sligo... absolutily nothing going for it.....except the bypass ;)

So, how many years did you spend in the it exactly? If it's such a hole that you were delighted to get out of, why didn't you leave the moment you got there or stay for so long? You could have easily moved to another course in another IT. It sounds to me like you're the one that is all talk.

In defence to Sligo, there is great scenery/walking/water hobbies. I volunteer with the RNLI and did a few drills up in Sligo - It's a fairly active place. So too is the Mountain Rescue (Not involved directly so couldn't give you facts) but the oul Germans love getting lost on Benbulben. I love walking up Knocknarea/Glencar on a nice, dry evening.... unfortuntely due to our Irish climate the place does be nearly water-logged most of the time.

This is the same Sligo that is a dump and has nothing going for it, right?
    Main turn off about Sligo; The accent and the women, that look like their 50 inbred brothers... they'll shoot/kick you to death if ya don't give the sisters enough pocket money to get the ferry to the UK for a quick kick to the ovaries (aka. A sligo birth termination)

John if you want to criticise you are free to do so but please don't post up crap like that. Saying things like that is borderline trolling in my book as it's just trying to get a negative reaction out of people.

• Advertisement

So, how many years did you spend in the it exactly? If it's such a hole that you were delighted to get out of, why didn't you leave the moment you got there or stay for so long? You could have easily moved to another course in another IT. It sounds to me like you're the one that is all talk.

Same degree as you. I was there for the degree, not the lovely standard of living tbh. It was cheap to live in Sligo too. (which is a plus I guess)

This is the same Sligo that is a dump and has nothing going for it, right?

I've said it before in the Sligo forum - Sligo is a great place for a weekend because the COUNTY does have nice scenery etc. and I love the outdoors. It's the town/city/whatever that I just don't fancy

John if you want to criticise you are free to do so but please don't post up crap like that. Saying things like that is borderline trolling in my book as it's just trying to get a negative reaction out of people.

Yeh fair enough, that was probably the most drunken single post i've ever written - Apologies :o:D

Slagging off the Sligo women again John, I am not suprised since it is a well known fact that you didn'nt get your hole once in all the time you were in Sligo, despite being in Envy every night you had the money. And you didn't cop off in Galway either last night home alone at 2am tapping bitterly into your laptop.

It s not a Sligo V Galway thing, that kind of parochial chauvinism is cretinous, its your personal bitterness, all your Sligo threads are shot through with it no matter how you try to disguise it.

Slagging off the Sligo women again John, I am not suprised since it is a well known fact that you didn'nt get your hole once in all the time you were in Sligo, despite being in Envy every night you had the money. And you didn't cop off in Galway either last night home alone at 2am tapping bitterly into your laptop.

It s not a Sligo V Galway thing, that kind of parochial chauvinism is cretinous, its your personal bitterness, all your Sligo threads are shot through with it no matter how you try to disguise it.

Wow, possibly the most pathetic response ever on boards.ie - could this be a new low?

Well known fact eh?? Right...
    You're right - never got my hole in Sligo because i'm faithful to my GF who lives in Galway - So only got down to the funny business on the weekends. What about you? Got a GF? You do? Sure.... ;) Palm and the 5 sisters eh?

In Envy every night, eh? Don't make me laugh, what a dump of a place with smelly carpet. Even if I was a raging alcoholic I wouldn't be in a club every night being forced to pay entrance and then pay crazy money for pints. No, we did it a bit more sensibly. See, we saw it like this... We're paying rent in for an apartment, so why not use it to it's full extent? Regular house parties where we'd have a savage night for less than 30euro on drink etc... much more sensible

As for money? Well, yes, I do have the money. But again, i'm being sensible about it. Being a bit smart about my monies (from the Bank of Nigeria) means I can drive a decent car and afford to keep it on the road. Oh, and there's the boats too for the weekends :D

At home at 2am on the laptop? You're right, I shouldn't be using the laptop when I come home drunk. But since you seem so interested I was at a launch of a new club in Galway - Free bar all night - Double vodka and Red Bulls all night for free ftw! And as for copping off... well let's see, the GF was next to me so I definately wasn't alone - i'll leave your imagination to figure the rest out ;)

I await your response.... maybe if you have any under 16 siblings they could respond for you, it'll be better than anything you can come up with.... FACT! :pac:

-Edit- Oh and before you get all "So why you in on a Sat night" ... i've been water skiing and at a BBQ all day and i'm up at 7am in the morning to do rescue for the longest inland sailing race in Europe. Just thought i'd tell you before you waste the time typing a gh3y response

You seem be fairly active for someone who was known as Billy No Mates when you were in Sligo IT, your unceasing aggorance really really p*ssed people off. Did it never occur to you that other people had feelings and opinions too, that you are not always right, and that your incessant boasting may be tedious to everyone else.

BTW, a friend in the mountain rescue told me the committee had planned to push you off a cliff if you signed up.

Guys, keep to the topic please.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 methodinsane

oh god help you then.
    theres a bit of a scene around sligo, alternative stuff is not catered for at all in sligo... they even shut down The Left Bank.

The Left Bank wasn't up to much anyway; it was better as the 'Vogue. Anyway The Clarence has reopened and McGarrigles sits smack in the center of O'Connell Street. They're alternative in the sense that they're not Toffs or Envy (crap and crap). Soup is on and off in the Clarence - an alternative night. Shoots is nice; McLoughlins is great (at least was). In Sligo's defense regarding alternative music it is improving again thanks to more bands coming here. AC/DC tribute band on Thursday, Stone Roses last week. Not exactly like it was years ago but I envisage 2009 to be a very good year for Sligo.

MI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭DenMan

Hey everyone, Dub here in peace. I'm starting in Sligo It in Sept, going back as a MS. My parents moved here 20 yrs ago. I was always back and forth and worked abroad. Sligo needs a good music scene, esp Alternative/Rock and Metal. Come on Sligo, lets do it. I spend most weekends in Temple Bar and Manchester and it would be nice to have some good bands do gigs here in Sligo. Sorry for rambling on. What does everyone else think. Peace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 WetSeal

Planning to go to sligo nxt year and do forensics, well was! Still in two minds about it, especially after reading ppls posts! Anyone have anything good to say about it, from Meath and not a hundred 100% it would suit me, would rather go to DCU but wnt to do forensics! Bit confusing!!:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭DenMan

I hope so, I am starting in Sept. I'd say go for it man. I heard the forensics course is very good in Sligo. Take the plunge. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 methodinsane

Is this the computer forensics course you're on about?

Advertisement