Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats Sligo IT actually like????

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭DenMan

Is this the computer forensics course you're on about?

I'd imagine that was the course he was on about. Deciding which one was best for him, Sligo or DCU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 WetSeal

Go for it woman you mean! Eh I dunno! It'd be a major culture shock.

No its forensic analysis and investigation!

Sorry my bad. It does sound like a terrific course. Which ever college you decide to go to it should be a lot fun. Go for it girl. :)

DenMan wrote: »
    Sorry my bad. It does sound like a terrific course. Which ever college you decide to go to it should be a lot fun. Go for it girl. :)

Only problem sligo is the only college in the country who does a full forensics course, why I do not know!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 methodinsane

WetSeal wrote: »
    Only problem sligo is the only college in the country who does a full forensics course, why I do not know!

Cos we're all CSI fans down here!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Choose a course because of the location of the IT/Uni and you'll regret it

Choose a course because it's the course that interests you and you'll love it

I lived with a girl doing Forensics in 1st year, she liked it anyhow

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Choose a course because of the location of the IT/Uni and you'll regret it

Choose a course because it's the course that interests you and you'll love it

I lived with a girl doing Forensics in 1st year, she liked it anyhow

I get where you're coming from but its alot easier to say that than actual having to live somwhere you hate and I havent heard anything from anyone that would make me think I would like it. So with the change of mind having to be in by july1st im fully confused!

I get where you're coming from but its alot easier to say that than actual having to live somwhere you hate and I havent heard anything from anyone that would make me think I would like it. So with the change of mind having to be in by july1st im fully confused!

I don't like Sligo, but I love my course.

I'd much prefer to have it that way rather than the other way around.

I not so sure about. I am not from Sligo but will be starting in the Sligo IT in Sept. I don't hate Sligo. I do spend most of my weekends in Temple Bar and Manchester though. From what I heard the IT is very good? Well worth a chance. If the course you really want to do is there then you really should consider it. Make the right decision that is best for you.

• Advertisement

I don't like Sligo, but I love my course.

I'd much prefer to have it that way rather than the other way around.

Well i'd like both, sorry to be awkward.

I not so sure about. I am not from Sligo but will be starting in the Sligo IT in Sept. I don't hate Sligo. I do spend most of my weekends in Temple Bar and Manchester though. From what I heard the IT is very good? Well worth a chance. If the course you really want to do is there then you really should consider it. Make the right decision that is best for you.

I was fully set on up to a while ago when ppl started saying it was a kip and I really wouldn't fit in or like it, but then again ppl are surprised when i tell them i want to do forensics in the first place! I'll probably still do it, just wish somone had something good to say about the place!:)

I did!! Go for it. :)

I did!! Go for it. :)

Hmm maybe! All i need to do now is get the points but thats a bit out of my control now! Thanks for the help!

Well i'd like both, sorry to be awkward.

Why are you apologising? It's not like I own Sligo or the IT

If you want both, then I suggest you build a perfect town and a perfect IT ' viola! :D

Why are you apologising? It's not like I own Sligo or the IT

If you want both, then I suggest you build a perfect town and a perfect IT ' viola! :D

Thats useful advice, i'll try that.

Thats useful advice, i'll try that.

That's the spirit!

Now down to yer local 'my place' Credit Union and apply for a loan :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Rachybabe

aw i cnt wait 2 go here n do forensics!!..movin from meath..hope i'l like it!! ive heard from a good few ppl its great craic bu i see alot of mixed opinions in ere!! any1 no how much points d forensics course wil actually be this yr??..ooo n if any1 cud let me no the best accommodation it wud be great cos avent actually been there yet!!:confused:

With the accomodation you have the choice of going with a Management Company and staying in official student accomodation - This is the easy option.

Or of course you can rent a house.

Teh advantages of going to student accomodation:
    Everything is in 1 bill - no surprises
    Broadband
    Clean apartment with en-suite rooms
    In summary, convenient

Disadvantages:
    Most of the staff are total w4nkers with a chip on their shoulder towards students. However there are 1 or 2 really sounds ones
    This year i've been told that parkign will be charged at 90euro/term in Clarion Village - I'm furious :mad:
    They're money-grabbing gits who will fleece you at ANY oppertunity they can, so just be careful about your deposit - Common sense really, if you break a plate, replace it yourself with an identical one

For me the advantages outweighed the disadvantages, and you're less than a 5 min walk from college.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Rachybabe wrote: »
    aw i cnt wait 2 go here n do forensics!!..movin from meath..hope i'l like it!! ive heard from a good few ppl its great craic bu i see alot of mixed opinions in ere!! any1 no how much points d forensics course wil actually be this yr??..ooo n if any1 cud let me no the best accommodation it wud be great cos avent actually been there yet!!:confused:
    Hey Rachy, could you ease up on the text speak and start using your full keyboard. Cheers. Best of luck with the course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24 corrr

I'm leaving Sligo this year after 3 years in the IT, I loved it!
    I had one bad experience with one particular lecturer but just don't get on their bad side (I came in late for the first 3 lectures) and you'll be fine. The town itself is not bad either (when I moved here there were NO shopping centres - now there're 2 plus the retail park in carraroe). The club scene has also improved 10fold, especially with the reopening of the Clarence this year. It's also got some great surfing spots if you're into that and Fresher's and Rag weeks are also pretty exciting (mostly), but you obviously have to be around to fully experience the 'craic'.
    Good Luck with your choice

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭wolf99

Was in ITS for 6 years and loved it, was in engineering and the lecturers in that faculty, plus most (but not all) admin staff are very good and accommodating. The facilities, while not top notch in all areas were very good for the most part.
    You cant always find a free PC, until you know ALL the places to look, but most PCs are up to date fast and have excellent www connection.

Accommodation is best done, though more expensively, with a managed development like clarion, ard nuagh, yeats or best of all, gateway. I have lived in a variety of accommodations in the town and the 2 years i moved in with people I never met before were the best 2 years!

Nightlife is varied now the clarence is open again, but the majority still head to the leitrim and envy or toffs, which are consequently wedged full and full of drunken idiots, which is all very well for a few nights, but take my advice and get a few friends to try a few different pubs of the beaten track just for laughs and things can get interesting.

The main student population (app 4500 fulltime) is from galway, donegal, leitrim, cavan, sligo and roscommon, but there are also a good few folks from other spots.

One bad thing about ITS is graduating in the west where, especially now there are no hi tech jobs in comparison to limerick cork or dublin where by the time you graduate you'd hopefully know the career turf well enough to get a good job soon enough (im still sat on me keister on the dole!)

Nearly ALL accomodations will try and fleece you when it comes to returning the deposit, ASK FOR RECEIPTS OF ALL WORK DONE. for EG one place I stayed, a few of us set to cleaning what had admittedly become a tip, we did a good job, they still took over half our deposit for cleaning, then when I decided to move back in for the summer, I discovered no cleaning work or work of any other kind had been done. Also report anything that is wrong with the place straight away, take dated pictures if you can, landlords will try to say you did something that was that way when you moved in!!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

[QUOTE=WetSeal;and I really wouldn't fit in or like it[/QUOTE]
    What a horrible thing to say to you! Some friends! Why wouldn't you fit in in Sligo as opposed to anywhere else in the country, I'm dying to know? I'm born and raised in Sligo, studied in St. Angela's (for anyone in ITS who thinks they have it bad, spend 30 mins out there and you'll forget all your woes, but I digress) and I do regret not having gone to another college to study, for the sake of a change of scenery, but I still had fun times about the town. I realise that Sligo has a long way to go to being as good a student mecca as Galway or the likes, but I firmly believe that your college experience is what you make of it! All these lazy generalisations really bug me. Sligo is not the only place in the country with ugly women and a lack of truly diverse nightlife, but we do our best! ( I do agree though, that the town accent is "caaaaaaat alltagether", lol).
    All the best in your college choice, I hope it all works out for you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 amigos

No it's not a dump at all you,ve been misinformed from the dossers that it is. Most of the lecturers are cool enough to approach with any querie. Great sports facilities, come and see it without the open day:):)

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭flynnser19

i was in sligo for about 2 years!!!im not there anymore because i didnt like the 2 courses i started but the town isnt bad like!!!if u come from a big city then it will be a culture shock but the ngiht life isnt bad, the college is grand and the people are generally nice but you get the few spanners like everywhere!!
    i think the college need to stop giving envy all the business as it isnt anything special and there is 3 other nightclubs in that town that people should be going to aswell like!!

accommodation wise i would stick to getting a house with your friends, you think the student accomms are going to be handy but theyre more bother than ts worth. ive lived in yeates and ard nua and they were terrible and really hard to deal with if something didnt go there way aswell!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭smurfy89

I love sligo.. so glad I came here!!
    Really wanted to go somewhere like limerick but ended up here in st angelas .. hate livin in the middle of nowhere & payin sh!t loads to get in & out of town but nights out are always brill for me .. even though i hate the music played in crappy envy!!

smurfy89 wrote: »
    I love sligo.. so glad I came here!!
    Really wanted to go somewhere like limerick but ended up here in st angelas .. hate livin in the middle of nowhere & payin sh!t loads to get in & out of town but nights out are always brill for me .. even though i hate the music played in crappy envy!!

Vote with your feet and go somewhere else instead of Envy. I don't see the attraction with the place apart from the fun of getting lost in there when drunk (:D) - They're also hardly doing the students any favours - charging in ALL THE TIME and never having promos etc.

BTW, i'd love to be livin' out in Angelas for a week or two :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭smurfy89

Ha, of course you would! Place full of girls like.. dont usually see any guys out here, and the chances are that if i see one they are gay :(
    Went to a place called Earleys last night, mad craic in there .. haha!!
    Where is a good place to go out for good music .. ie rock music :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

if ye think that the it is funny ye should have seen the rtc
    but sligo is small so the students mix which makes for lots of parties and lots of people knowing lots of people which is great really

courses are what they are and you'll get out what you put in

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭patrickdt10

smurfy89 wrote: »
    Ha, of course you would! Place full of girls like.. dont usually see any guys out here, and the chances are that if i see one they are gay :(
    Went to a place called Earleys last night, mad craic in there .. haha!!
    Where is a good place to go out for good music .. ie rock music :D
    does anyone know john out there. he started there this year,

Advertisement