Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats Sligo IT actually like????

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭smurfy89

John who? .. doing nursing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 gabbygirlgavin

hi delicious...

Sligo IT was brilliant for me, i just graduated from 3 yrs of a science course. I was very shy quiet girl who didnt have a clue what i wanted to do with my lil life and just doing the college thing was a big eye opener. Sligo is busy enough to be like Galway but not as expensive or as packed. Dont get me wrong, i love Galway, i love Dublin, but if i had the choice i would go back to Sligo to work....
    Sligo IT science Dept is very good and just went thru a clean up in the labs and there are a lot of new lectures. I cant speak for the Sport, engeneering or Business courses!! I hope i helped!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 mayoimafriad

I spent 4 years in it sligo, & 4 gr8 years they were! i met some of the nicest people, but also met some of the biggest d****! the lecturers are all mostly sound, some are very good! some dont give a f*** about you! the college itself is a ****hole to be honest, the engineering block is modern & thats about it, the canteen is in dire need of modernisation and i wont get started on the canteen staff! i dunno where they get them, rough as a bears hole some of them! pure sligo townies, with accents that would hurt your ears! sligo town itself i think is a horrible town considering its one of irelands largest, its always so dirty and covered with litter! they made a balls of the main street trying to make it a galway shop street! and the traffic in the town is cruel! the sligo relief road i think has to be the most ridiculous feats of engineering in modern ireland, how this road got the go ahead i'll never understand, its cuts right through the town splitting it in two, to think of all the houses that were demolished to make way for the road, and it doesn't remove traffic away from sligo town, it just moves it to a differnent part of the town! a proper bypass should of being built dont care how expensive it would of being to bridge sligo bay! and to finish the main thing i hated about sligo it was the incrediable amount of boggers who attend it! all pure farmers! mostly all gob****es from caaaavan and roscommon! although i'd say half the it population is from mayo where i am from myself which are no better to be fair! but not as bad as people make out! one thing i will say in mayo's defence is mayo people speak extremely well compared to most western and midland counties even though there is this sterotype thinking that we all speak with sillage in our mouths!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 JR55

I have applied to study Archaeology in Sligo for September. Im really nervous about starting in the college as im moving up from Kilkenny and its a long distance away..the course sounds great, but the place itself has some bad reviews. I was looking at a house in Ballymote..is that far from the IT?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Ballymote is miles away from the college. Look for somewhere much closer. Som.eone in the ballinode area would be fairly close to the college

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Alan20

JR55 wrote: »
    I have applied to study Archaeology in Sligo for September. Im really nervous about starting in the college as im moving up from Kilkenny and its a long distance away..the course sounds great, but the place itself has some bad reviews. I was looking at a house in Ballymote..is that far from the IT?

Ballymote is quite a distance away from the college, for a first year, i'd suggest student accommodation, you'll meet and make friends much quicker that way, than living out in the town somewhere.

The bad reviews are very misleading in my opinion, Sligo town is like any usual town, but the clubs are brilliant and i'm going into second year myself, and felt at home fairly quickly. You can make friends quickly enough through the clubs and societies and your going into one of the best sectors in the college aswell. The standard of lectures are brilliant, it's a very one to one basis with the lectures if you actually apply yourself for it to be that way and if you ever need help, they'll always provide it, never be afraid to voice your concerns if you don't understand something.

I moved up from Galway myself and knew very lil, but alot of people are usually in the same situation so you'll meet people very easily

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭DenMan

Hi guys

Going into second yr at Sligo IT in Sept (mature student). Going to be staying in The Clarion Village (Grove). Anybody ever stay in the village before? Was in in a good few times visiting friends during the yr and they are really nice (but very pricey).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,211 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Be prepared to lose your deposit. I got 55euro back from a 300euro deposit and we left the place spotless and only thing broke/missing was a couple of plates/glasses

(Got charged 60euro for cleaning the bathroom eventhough I left it cleaner than when I got there) - Albanne Property are robbing b4stards. I'd chase this up but my blood will boil... might chase it up in a few days when I relax a bit about it

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Be prepared to lose your deposit. I got 55euro back from a 300euro deposit and we left the place spotless and only thing broke/missing was a couple of plates/glasses

(Got charged 60euro for cleaning the bathroom eventhough I left it cleaner than when I got there) - Albanne Property are robbing b4stards. I'd chase this up but my blood will boil... might chase it up in a few days when I relax a bit about it

Very similar thing happened to me, except I was housed with one of the biggest dumbasses out in Cartron. Our first bill ran up to 766euro, because the housemate insisted that the boiler was left on 24/7 for his shower, so we had to pay around 200euro each. 800euros worth of property (mine) was stolen out of the house because the idiot didn't lock the door when he went out, and him and the others decided to post postnotes all over the walls, so money came out of my deposit to fix that, so I only got 100 back out of 235euro.

Advice, if you house with potential retards, leave instantly and find some other place to go, something which I should've done. Don't move out to cartron either if you want your oil stolen... i'd actually suggest student accommodation, but i'm moving in with a friend next year, so that's cool.

Other than that, the year well brilliantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭jigglywoo

Alan20 wrote: »
    Our first bill ran up to 766euro, because the housemate insisted that the boiler was left on 24/7 for his shower, so we had to pay around 200euro each.

I stayed in Yeats Village last year and during a house check some woman gave out to my housemate for not leaving the boiler on 24/7 :confused:, we only had it on the bare minimum. Luckily I only lived with one other person.
    I haven't gotten my deposit back yet so don't really know what to expect.

• Advertisement

jigglywoo wrote: »
    I stayed in Yeats Village last year and during a house check some woman gave out to my housemate for not leaving the boiler on 24/7 :confused:, we only had it on the bare minimum. Luckily I only lived with one other person.
    I haven't gotten my deposit back yet so don't really know what to expect.

That's stupid, the amount of electricity it uses it mental. I dunno, you just have to be careful who you house with. Like I remember then, he had a girlfriend who had free rent by sharing his room for 2 months till she moved in. At that time, neither of them had bothered to go to college so they created a majority of the electricity bill and a huge amount of the oil... the house was like a desert every day i got back, i had to open my window when it was -5 degrees out. So I spent over 150 for oil that I never used and whenever I switched it off, the reaction was almost explosive

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

Sligo is a great town, I was in college there for 4 years, worked there throughout the summers too, and stayed for another 7 months after i finished and before i went travelling. Went to belfast to do my masters this year, but i liked sligo much much more. although jordanstown had much better facilities etc and belfast had more pubs, clubs and shops, it just wasn't as good. for me the people you meet there and the nights out you have will make it the best time of your life, join a club (rugby if you like messin around and getting drunk).

don't move to ballymote, it's a a rediculous distance from sligo town, you want to either live in the town itself or down by the college (ballinode, mulberry park, Glencarraig etc (although glencarraig can be mayhem at rag week)

I have heard horrible stories about alban who run yeats village and the clarion apartments, try and avoid using the student accomodation apartments next to the college (yeats, gateway, clarion) as they are much more expensive than a sharing a house with 4 other people in a similar area, and houses have a lot less restrictions on bringin people home ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

I've just finished a Business Studies degree in Sligo IT, and I can give a fairly broad review as I also went to UCD and Trinity before that! (Long story!)

I would not hesitate to recommend Sligo IT to anyone. If you are deciding between a university course and an IT course - they are very concious of the negative perception future employers have of ITs, and do everything they can to counteract this - mainly by giving you work experience which university students will not get, and by setting the exams to the same standard as the universities. Many of the IT students will not be as academic as some university students (I'm sorry, but in my experience that's true), but in the IT you are given a lot more hours in class, plenty of individual attention and tutorials, and all the help that they can give you. Seriously, the lecturers cannot do enough for you, whereas in a university (again, just in my experience!) they don't even know your name!

In my course, it was roughly 60% exams and 40% continuous assessment. The continuous assessment was mostly projects and presentations, which gives you a lot to talk about in interviews. I have a job lined up now with one of the big 4 accountancy firms in Dublin, and I genuinely don't think I'd have gotten that if I'd continued with Commerce in UCD.

As for Sligo itself - it's great, a real student town. It's rough in parts, it doesn't have the artsiness of Galway, but for the student life it's certainly better than Dublin. Some great pubs, a couple of clubs, and all the student estates are within a five-minute walk of the IT - and very cheap rent!

So yeah, I'd definitely recommend the place to anyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭ofthelord

did 4 years in sligo doing computers. was brilliant place, loved it. in fairness, moving up there i wasn't expecting much but after just a couple of months i stopped going home most wkends, and after 2nd yr i even stayed for the summer months. left sligo after finishing 4th year for work but would move back there given the chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 methodinsane

What year were you there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 ontheditch

Sligo IT were the best 4 years of my life. Came from Cork to sligo, moved to Yeats in 1st year, was grand craic, but its worse than living at home, constant checking on houses and if anyone gets all their deposit back, fair play to ye. Would definitly recommend student accomodation in 1st year, if you don't know anyone.
    The college is ok, but the student life is fantastic. life in Sligo is so laid back, its unreal. Rag week is absolute mayhem, as is most of the year. I would highly recommend Sligo to every person, just fall into the way of life and enjoy yourself. I've never met anyone who went to Sligo IT and didn't enjoy it. Oh to be back in 1st year again..
    p.s. Live as close to the college as possible, would no way in hell live in Ballymote, or anywhere outside the town. Embrace Student life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 navanavan

Well folks, another Meath man heading down to sligo, going into 3rd year civil. Was in dundalk the last three years and loved the place! I'm moving into clarion with two other lads i was in college in DKIT(all in all i think there's 8 of us in total doing civil from DKIT) with haven't even seen the place but it was recommended to me buy a few friends who went to sligo and lived there. So long as we can have a few beers and a bit of craic I'll be happy! Whats the bringing people back situation like?

Basically wanted to know what the course is like, if anyone has studied it or knows of anyone else who has?

navanavan wrote: »
    Whats the bringing people back situation like?

Just don't draw attention to the place if you're gonna have a party and keep your bedroom door closed incase of a random house inspection.
    I accidently left my bedroom door open with an extra mattress on the ground and the inspection lady went bananas.
    They want you tell let them know about over night guests but that's crap and they'll never notice.

Be really careful about parking your car there, they will clamp you no bother unless you have a sticker.

Is the parking safe there? It was of particular importance when choosing a place ;)

Ah im just hoping its not as strict as people make out thats all, I assume a bit of banter around the place is alright? Judging by what i've read its like a prison:eek:

Is the parking safe there? It was of particular importance when choosing a place ;)

Ah im just hoping its not as strict as people make out thats all, I assume a bit of banter around the place is alright? Judging by what i've read its like a prison:eek:

Well I stayed in yeats village but it's under the same management.
    You'll have to pay something like 80 euro for a parking permit. I'm assuming parking is safe because there's night security and they'll clamp rogue cars.
    I can't imagine it being like a prison!

Unlike Milligan Place in the centre of town. One night I tried to stay there after a night out and the security man followed us up to the apartment with a big picture frame with all the resident's photos on it and what apartment they lived in! Insisted I leave the place in the early hours of the night :(

• Advertisement

Thats ridiculous!? Not a prison but you know what i mean? Looking forward to getting down there now ;)

Good to hear their ontop of security all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭DenMan

Got the letter from them today. It's The Grove where I'm staying. They say I can move in either this weekend or the following weekend.

I got clarion village? Whats the difference??

The apartments in The Grove are nice, they're the newest in Sligo (apart from Milligan place)

Parking is about 90euro PER TERM, so expect to pay an extra 180euro for parking per year - it's total robbery but they know they have you by the b0llix if you have a car. In fairness though, of my 3 years living in The Grove I never once saw vandalism to cars (plenty of cameras and security guard does be always around) so you can use that reason to try and not make your blood boil.

The Grove/Clarion Village isin't too strict with bringing people back PROVIDED you don't draw attention ie. don't walk into the village in big groups, and the main thing is keep the noise down at night - if the apartment is loud the security WILL come in :mad: During the WRC last year we had about 15 people in the apartment so impossible to keep quiet, the security came in and just told us to keep the noise down (fair enough they're only doing as they're told).

In conclusion if you're a total party animal then move into a house because you'll get thrown out of any of the 'purpose built' accomodation

I got clarion village? Whats the difference??

There's no real difference.
    They're in the exact same place and the Grove just makes up the last two blocks of the complex. T
    here's no short cuts to the college so you have to walk the long way which is a big U shape which is kinda annoying but still only a 5 min walk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 JadeyCakesxoxox

First year fine arts,staying in Gateway accommondation!
    Anyone in the same boat?
    Biiig move from living in dub :(

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭karma403

First year fine arts,staying in Gateway accommondation!
    Anyone in the same boat?
    Biiig move from living in dub :(

I'm moving down tomorrow but into a house. Don't know anyone! You'll get to know the others in your flat. PM if you want to chat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 JadeyCakesxoxox

Yeah,probs meet a good few people! (:
    What course you doin?

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭karma403

Yeah,probs meet a good few people! (:
    What course you doin?

Yep you will!
    I'm doing a computing one called database management.

• Advertisement

karma403 wrote: »
    Yep you will!
    I'm doing a computing one called database management.

You'll actually meet a good few people because in 1st year you're going to be streamed with the other computing courses (systems&networking, software (there's no web this year I was told)) - Make an effort to get to know people! Don't just run off at the end of every class or induction, hang around and make small chat.

However i'd strongly advise joining a few clubs & socs to get to know people outside your course - The numbers in the course WILL drop a lot next year and it's good to meet a variety of people.

Oh, and the most important thing, you'll come accross a lecturer he is a total b0llix who will screw you over at any oppertunity he gets. Give the lad as much abuse/grief as you can get away with. Try not to laugh too hard when he comes out with the "I'm the most important lecturer you'll come accross" - he'll say it to you plenty.

Oh, and don't be afraid to go over a lecturers head if they're genuinly cocking up or not pulling their weight. Don't go to head of Dept. - go to head of school or even the President of the IT (Yes, we had to resort to that, but weren't long getting places once we did!)

Advertisement