Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Osgood Schlatter Disease

Options
  • 13-04-2008 11:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭

My little girl was diagnosed with this condition today. Im wondering if anyone else out there has a child suffering the same problem. I was hoping for some advice on pain relief other than neurofen etc. All replies received with thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36 denmcn

Things have changed so much with this problem over time. I had this as an active 11yo and I had my leg in thick layers of bandage and cotton wool (????) for a couple of months....mind you, this was in the late 70s!!!

Nowadays afaik kids are told to carry on more or less as usual and to ice and take basic pain relieve when it is acting up.

As a former sports coach we used to monitor the kids for growth spurts and let their parents know when this was happening so that they could increase the childs stretching to help prevent this problem.

Hope your little one doesnt have too hard a time of it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I had this as a nipper and received physio which helped. Other than that I stayed away from PE and led a normal happy life.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭smaktardis

I got this when i was about 10. I more or less ignored it - stopped running around when it hurt and used some anti-inflamatory gel when sore. about 16 years later it is still present. the lump is still noticeable and if i get into a routine of exercise involving running a couple of time a week it will eventually catch up on me and i'll be restricted to non impact exrecise like swimming/cycling.
    i'd love not to have it. treat it properly when you can. hard to treat in adults.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I had that from playing basketball when I was 13, I had lumps on my knees which were really painful, I was just told to use painkillers and not to over exert myself, I grew out of it though (maybe cos I gave up basketball and all unnecessary movement >_> ).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

Had similar pain as a kid, but for a different reason.

ibrupofen is easier to take long term and that's what I was put on. Other than that, rest, an icepack when it's sore and there's not much else you can do. From a comfort perspective, I used to sleep with a pillow between my knees so that may or may not help.

• Advertisement

I was diagnosed with this when I was younger, was told to give up sports and let it heal itself,
    I never gave up football and I am now suffering with knee pains when I run and now I am forced to give up sports and 'try' let it heal.

I found this website and it is meant to be very good although i havent used it myself

http://www.osgood-schlatter.com/product.html

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭smaktardis

I was diagnosed with this when I was younger, was told to give up sports and let it heal itself,
    I never gave up football and I am now suffering with knee pains when I run and now I am forced to give up sports and 'try' let it heal.

I found this website and it is meant to be very good although i havent used it myself

http://www.osgood-schlatter.com/product.html

That medicine looks worth investigating - pity its only for children. As for the adults, i have recently bought a pateller tendon strap and it works well enough. For me, the only activity that brings on the pain is running. Previously i would have to stop running instantly when the pain kicked in but this strap prevents that happening. Got it for €10 in a cork city triathlon shop. worth a shot.

I'll have a look around for one of those straps, I miss playing football:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭alie

My daughter is now attending a physio as the hospital that diagnosed her condition failed to do any follow up treatment, this has had a knock on effect to her joints and she has also now through crumlin hospital being diagnosed with hypermobility syndrome. The first hospital told us to google it! I have discovered that Diclac and/or Arnica are very helpful

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I am hypermobile and find that heatwraps help with any joint pain that I have far more so that icepacks. I use the thermacare wraps and they have more of an effect than a box of neurofen.

Good luck to your daughter, swimming is a good exercise if she is hypermobile, to allow her to build up strength in her joints.

Did they use the Beighton scoring method on her?

• Advertisement

Yes , it is scary, she has the most bendiest fingers i have ever seen, we use the heat wraps and they give her some relief, although she is finding pilates very helpful to strengthen and relax her core muscles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

My brother was diagnosed with Osgood Schlatters when he was about 11 as well, he's 24 now and it still affects him sometimes but it's mostly only when he gets trampled with studs playing rugby or something.
    When it flares up he just treats it like any other inflammation... alternating hold and cold packs, and rest up a bit...
    He never had any treatment for it when he was younger, he was just told to use cold packs and take pain killers.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

alie wrote: »
    Yes , it is scary, she has the most bendiest fingers i have ever seen, we use the heat wraps and they give her some relief, although she is finding pilates very helpful to strengthen and relax her core muscles.

The hypermobility Syndrome Association website may be helpful to you It has a specific section for kids and teens, with a chat section if you allow your girl to chat, and a good overall advice section too :)

The good news from my personal experience is that although I score as a seven on the Beighton score, I have had a very active life, played basketball, squash, rugby, swam, worked as a lifeguard, basically loads of different activities with little or no effect.

I fractured my hip in my early thirties, and that has caused me problems due to hypermobility, but I've learned to deal with it over time :) Yoga and Pilates never did me a huge amount of good imo as I was simply too flexible, that said, I'd love to try hot yoga, or the more challenging ones :)

Best wishes to your daughter :) For fun she can freak people out with her bendy fingers :D

Thank you so much, i will get her to log on , yes her fingers are freaky. my son also has bendy fingers but no pain , he can push his knuckle to the back on the other side, ugh! Im glad you never let it bother you as i know from poor Ciara , the pain is awful.

Advertisement