Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of picking up the guitar

Options
  • 13-04-2008 11:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭

AS it says, Will likely have a bit of time on may hands soon, was thinking of picking up this ubiquitous instrument. Is it hard to learn? Am I to old at 24 to make a fist at it? I am fairly musical, used to play the trombone and have a bit of theory. I am a big fan of rock and roll, ACDC, whitesnake etc

Any advice, cautionary tales, tips?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

First of all your never to old.
    If you decide to go the electric guitar route I recommend the following;

Yamaha Pacifica X 1
    Microcube X 1

& plenty of time and patience ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Yeah, you're never too old, for guitar or any other instrument.

So long as you enjoy what you're doing, and can find a couple of hours here and there, that's all that matters tbh. You'll be riffing away to AC/DC in no time at all, and progression on the instrument will just follow naturally, in it's own good time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Eschatologist

Agreed, you're never too old to start playing. I found it very easy pick up and within 1 year I nailed Master of Puppets - I never bothered with theory and after 6 years I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not! Just play along to the songs you wanna play using simple tab, it's a lot more satisifying than drudging through a lot of theory. Powerchords are your best friend when starting out.

Yamahas are good for a first guitar - I own an ERG121 and though it was cheap it's one of the best-sounding guitars I ever had. If you go electric, I recommend you get a good amp. I started out with a low-watt Crate amp and always regretted not getting with more crunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭johnboy8

i started late in life a year and a half ago(never looked back)one thing i would recommend is the jamarama guitar learning course(you will get it on line for about 30/40 euros)fantastic learning course,it has two books one basic the other advanced.every chapter has a certain amount of new chords a little bit of theory(videos included) and then at the end there is a jam track that you can play along to(both with the soundtrack guitar on and off)so you can listen to it a few times and then nail it yourself.i have no affiliation to this site at all,i just thought it was great.otherwise just learning a few songs,you cant really put it all together,my friend has been playing for 15 years and he cant believe how well i have come on(i just bought the jamarama lead guitar course,great as well)

Advertisement