Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Where should you put your right foot when using cruise control?

Options
  • 14-04-2008 12:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭

I've been driving for a couple of years now (have my full licence) but I'd never had the opportunity to use cruise control (CC) unitl the other day.

Normally my right foot is on the accelerator and as such can naturally find the brake instantly when required. When using the CC, I left my foot resting on the floor in front of the pedals but couldn't really find the brake quickly which could definitely be quite dangerous imo and so I had to switch the CC off. I tried resting it on the floor directly in front of the brake but this was a bit uncomfortable.

Suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

I am just guessing here as I have never driven, but could'nt you leave it resting on the accelerator?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 tmulcahy365

I am just guessing here as I have never driven, but could'nt you leave it resting on the accelerator?

That would disengage the cruise control.
    My Golf has a Foot rest beside the clutch and accelerator so it wouldnt be a problem. I don't have cruise though.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

That would disengage the cruise control.
    It doesn't disengage the CC in my car but it would defeat the purpose of having CC in the first place. For example, if I wish to overtake, I simply press the accelerator. When i remove my foot, the car will slow down to the previously selected CC speed and then continue as before.

I keep my foot beside the accelerator pedal slightly resting on the carpet on the wheel arch. I've never had any trouble finding the brake pedal but my car is an auto so has a larger brake pedal. It may be different in a manual.

Advertisement