Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about extending wifi signal

Options
  • 14-04-2008 2:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 49

Hi Im living on campus, and we have a network connection problem in the accommodation. however the student bar (approx. 30 metres away) has wifi. Now im just wondering is there any way i can get a good enough signal from that wifi connection? Would Repeaters do the job?

I also have another question, i have a laptop that got fried (water spillage) I'm just wondering what can i do with it, since the screen, lightScribe drive, touchpad and all of those components arent damaged.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

You could probably get a range extender to extend the wifi network.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 nadimmu

how much would that cost? Because im comparing prices between routers and other peripherals, but not sure what i can get for a 'more bang for your buck' sorta deal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 popinfresh101

nadimmu wrote: »
    Hi Im living on campus, and we have a network connection problem in the accommodation. however the student bar (approx. 30 metres away) has wifi. Now im just wondering is there any way i can get a good enough signal from that wifi connection? Would Repeaters do the job?

I also have another question, i have a laptop that got fried (water spillage) I'm just wondering what can i do with it, since the screen, lightScribe drive, touchpad and all of those components arent damaged.

As for the wifi you can get great wirless cards most cards are wirless g but you can get the likes off Wireless G+ MIMO you will pick it up a lot stronger also if you get a usb one and put it on a long usb lead and stick it out the window that works great to :cool:

As for the laptop best thing to do with the laptop is prob sell it for parts on less you can get a cheap motherboard for it if your in dublin might be intersted in buying the laptop for parts

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=322318

45 quid. You could probably find a cheaper one if you shop around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 popinfresh101

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 49 nadimmu

oh im using a macbook, doesnt have a PCI slot :( the ONLY disadvantage of macbooks :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Laptops never have PCI slots unless you have a docking station :) I think you are mixing PCI up with PCMCIA or PC Card

The aerial on that Belkin yoke wouldn't be good enough for that kind of distance. You'd want to get a directional antenna - again that eBay link wouldn't be optimal for the same reason (it's just a larger omni directional one).

You are probably best getting an Access Point like the Belkin thing above - couldn't really recommend Belkin myself though - but make sure it has an RP-SMA (or "reverse SMA") connector for the antenna so you can change it (many do but a lot don't, especially cheaper ones) with something more suitable.

Something like these maybe:
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/Wireless-Network-2-4-GHz-Directional-Antenna-Booster_W0QQitemZ230241277405QQihZ013QQcategoryZ61816QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/2-4ghz-directional-beam-wireless-camera-antenna-aerial_W0QQitemZ160229142908QQihZ006QQcategoryZ4672QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    (2.4GHz = wifi too)

There's a couple of directional antennas in Maplin as well. I got a smaller one for my PC upstairs (wireless router is downstairs) and it improved the signal greatly.

EDIT: An "access point" will usually do the same job as these "range extenders", or they both work as both. However, if you need to connect this wireless connection to more than one PC you'll need to get a second wireless access point (a wireless router with ethernet WAN port - *not* ADSL or cable modem - might do too), or a switch.

Advertisement