Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

roadsigns.

Options
  • 14-04-2008 2:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭

I notice these new signs on the end of small roads with the letter L 8979. Are these the codes similiar to M, N, R etc. I also noticed that some of the very old wrought-iron roadsigns from the 50s are being replaced by new signs in kilometres. :(:(. personally I find them out of character with the rural areas.
    I thought that these could be preserved or listed, similiar to old buildings. :confused:

roadsign.gif

but im not a fan of this.....which is a joke, misleading and the sort of thing councils allow.

signsbv.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,416 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The current system is:

N National
    R Regional
    L Local

The old system had:

T Truck
    L Local
    ? ?????

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭L1011

L was "Link" on the old system I'm nearly sure. And they had M, T and L didn't they? Nothing below L in class.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

ok but during the week I saw a lot of these new signs at the end of some roads which arent R but the ordinary ''boreen''. So does this mean that every single road in the country, even a dirt road, will have a code at both ends?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

get a load of this thread...
    Poor Road Signage Pictures
    Erecting crap road signs is something that our local authorities are highly experienced at!

G Luxel wrote: »
    ok but during the week I saw a lot of these new signs at the end of some roads which arent R but the ordinary ''boreen''. So does this mean that every single road in the country, even a dirt road, will have a code at both ends?

Every single road under council control has a code now. Most councils don't sign them with plates at each end - Wicklow seems to in tourist areas but I suspect thats more to help B&Bs etc advertise where they are. Most new roadsigns put up do indicate them - see the mass re-signing of North Kildare done for the Ryder Cup, the signs along the newest bits of the N4 (Dromod/Roosky) etc. They go up to 5 digits - fairly long to fit on a sign!

• Advertisement

MYOB wrote: »
    Every single road under council control has a code now. Most councils don't sign them with plates at each end - Wicklow seems to in tourist areas but I suspect thats more to help B&Bs etc advertise where they are. Most new roadsigns put up do indicate them - see the mass re-signing of North Kildare done for the Ryder Cup, the signs along the newest bits of the N4 (Dromod/Roosky) etc. They go up to 5 digits - fairly long to fit on a sign!
    They do have the manual but they don't seem to have read it!
    I think its in the link I posted earlier but I recently contacted SDCC regarding the original signage at the N4 (Newcastle Rd. to Leixlip interchange) roadworks. The speed limit signs were incorrect - incorrect sign design and also incorrect speed limits in place (there were four or five different limits in place at the one time). The engineer in charge came back and told me that no they were fine because they were in the manual. I asked him to show where in the manual. They were eventually replaced at what cost?

I've heard about this infamous manual a few times, where do I get a copy? I've a few choice road sign decisions to let Donegal CC know about - such as one of the last remaining 'end of speed limit' signs around...

Advertisement