Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greystones Aircoach via port tunnel

Options
  • 14-04-2008 9:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭

Thought you might be interested to know!

On my way to work this morning I spotted an aircoach bus parked at the sports center. My curiosity got the better of me so I had a look at the aircoach site once in work and they have a new service from Greystones.

http://www.aircoach.ie/news.article.php?ID=118

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

wingding wrote: »
    Thought you might be interested to know!

On my way to work this morning I spotted an aircoach bus parked at the sports center. My curiosity got the better of me so I had a look at the aircoach site once in work and they have a new service from Greystones.

http://www.aircoach.ie/news.article.php?ID=118

I saw one coming over Windgates this morning too. Great news!

Was that the Charlesland sports center it was parked at?

They're obviously working on timings for the route at the moment. I doubt it would take much more than an hour to an hour and a quarter?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,937 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

how did you find that page - its not linked off their main site anywhere that I can see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Mr Matt

loyatemu wrote: »
    how did you find that page - its not linked off their main site anywhere that I can see.

Thats excellent... go to the airport heaps... be useful:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 decokiernan

This is awesome news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭wingding

Mike, yeah it was parked at the sports center. The patton flyer takes 45 minutes from Dalkey so I reckon your estimation would be about right. Depends on how many stops I suppose and whether it goes right into Bray along the way.

Loyatemu, the link was in the news section (or something similar, I'm not about to go rechecking it) on the right hand side of the home page.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭LMC

Thats great news - thanks for passing on the info :)

Now all they need to do is increase the number of darts and send the nightlink down to Charlesland! Although being a regular user of the nightrider service there doesn't seem to be a huge demand for it. The driver told me he only drops one other person to Charlesland...

I'm sure hardly anyone knows about the nightrider bus. no-one would expect Bus Eireann to be running a night service via Charlesland when none of their day services go through here (or through greystones). Theres been no local advertising of it either (except for one post on Boards).

the reason I asked where you had found the Aircoach link, is because there is no link in their news section now. I wonder why they have removed it?

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Sparks115

Sounds like a brilliant idea. I just called them and its €18 return. Less than having to pay for the Long term car park at the airport for a long weekend. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

As it says in title, a new air coach service started this week serving Charlesland.... Great news.

• Advertisement

Sorry folks, missed earlier post on news. However, its excellent news and worth posting again about!!! All we need now to find how out reliable the service will be!? First trip planned next week! I wonder is the bus stop going to be the sports centre? Im sure it will stop at the bus stop along road just after main roundabout into Charlesland?

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Lumbarda

Saw them just now parked up at the Sports Centre. Are they definitely going to be going by Charlesland as well? That'll be so fab!!

NEW SERVICE - Greystones - Bray - Shankill - Blackrock - Port Tunnel - Dublin Airport
    14th April 2008

New Aircoach Service - Commencing Monday 21st April 2008

Greystones - Bray - Shankill - Blackrock - Port Tunnel - Dublin Airport

Aircoach is delighted to advise the introduction of a new Aircoach service connecting Greystones - Bray - Shankill - Blackrock to Dublin Airport via the Port Tunnel, commencing on Monday 21st April 2008.

The service will operate 24 hrs per day with initially 22 departures in each direction.

The following timetable will be effective from Monday 21st April 2008.

Dublin Airport to Greystones:

Depart Dublin Airport - Arrivals Road:
    00:00, 01:00, 02:00, 03:00, 04:00, 05:00, 06:00, 07:00, 08:00, 09:00, 10:00, 11:00, 12:00, 13:00, 14:00, 15:00, 16:30, 18:00, 19:00, 20:00, 21:00, 22:00, 23:00

Greystones to Dublin Airport:

Depart Greystones:

02:30, 03:30, 04:30, 05:30, 06:30, 07:30, 09:00, 10:00, 11:00, 12:00, 13:00, 14:00, 15:00, 16:00, 17:00, 18:30, 19:30, 20:30, 21:30, 22:30, 23:30, 00:30

Journey time will be approximately 1hr 20mins.

The services highlighted in bold will operate from Monday 14th April 2008. Please call us for further details.

The service will pick up and set down at the following points along the route:

Dublin Airport - Arrivals Road
    (operating via Port Tunnel)
    Point Depot
    Sean Moore Rd (Irish Glass Site)
    Sandymount (New Grove Ave Junction)
    Sandymount (Parade Avenue Junction)
    Tara Towers Hotel - Rock Road
    Booterstown DART Station
    Blackrock
    Mount Merrion (South Hill Avenue)
    Galloping Green - N11
    Foxrock Church - N11
    Cornelscourt Shopping Centre
    Cabinteely Cross
    Loughlinstown Fly Over
    Shankill Village (Mickey Byrnes Bar)
    Bray - Superquinn
    Greystones - Lidl
    Greystones - DART Station
    Greystones - Charlsland

For further details please contact our Customer Care team on 01 8447118.

We look forward to welcoming you on board.

Aircoach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭NewHome

Brewster wrote: »
    I wonder is the bus stop going to be the sports centre? Im sure it will stop at the bus stop along road just after main roundabout into Charlesland?

I just rang Aircoach there and they said that the bus will depart from 'outside Superquinn'.

Threads merged.

Outside superquinn! It just gets better and better.:D Although I hope people from surrounding areas don't take to leaving their cars in Charlesland!:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭NarkyBoots

Hubby got Aircoach this morning at 6.30. It took 1 hour 12 mins to get to the Airport. There were ony 4 people on it though so hopefully it will be well supported to ensure it's continuation.

It stops at the 184(?) bus stop at the roundabout. Don't be late either as the bus was there at 6.26 and left at 6.29 sharpish!

Interesting. Father in law called to find out where exactly the bus stop at Charlesland was and he was told Jackie Skelly's.

That said, I have seen the bus waiting at the Dublin Bus stop next to the Wood a couple of times.

I'll be using it in a couple of weeks time. Can't wait. Hate leaving the car in long term.

Took the 11 O Clock service from Charlesland yesterday. Arrived exactly at 12.20, the hour and 20 mins stated. Takes a while to clear Bray and but once you get to Loughlinstown you fly out going through Port Tunnel. The bus stops at the Dublin bus stop, I think this is their main stop. They really use the gym as a depo and waiting point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 hon79

Delighted with the new service. It's also a great service for friends coming to Greystones for the evening who then need to get back into town. Does the Aircoach go over the Eastlink bridge?
    I do hope it's used so that it's not taken away from us because it's a fantastic service

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭anniec

I got the 1pm from the airport on Tuesday it was brilliant 1hr 20mins only problem had only one problem had to drag the suitcases up to the house will definitely use it again! has anyone used the early morning bus to the airport need to be there at 5am?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Tinker13

Used this service at 3.30 this morning from Lidl.
    3 of us using it at that hour and there was another 6 or 7 people on before us.
    Driver was at pains to point out that this was on a trial basis only - who would have thought that a regular dependable hourly service would be used!:rolleyes:

Onenegative point - the port tunnel was closed this morning - the weakest link.

Has anyone tried getting on this and not going from the airport. I was hoping I could get it home from Blackrock on a night out.... Or is it set down only for the stop from the airport to gresytones?

It only picks up at the airport when it's heading to Greystones. Shame really.

I used it last weekend. Brilliant service. I was speaking to the driver and the official stop for Charlesland is the bus stop on the SAR alongside the Wood. He was quite amused at everyone lugging their bags up the hill to Jackie Skelly's at 3:15 in the morning...

My only concern was that he didn't really keep to the advertised times for each stop and we got to the airport in 59 mins exactly.

Coming back on Tuesday evening the bus took just over an hour.

I doubt I'll ever drive to the airport again!

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭xshayx

Getting this at 4.30am tomorrow :(
    Does it start at Superquinn, or at one of the bus stops?

EDIT: just read "bus stop on the SAR alongside the Wood" Wheres that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Joliegood

It leaves from Jackie Skelly's however it picks up from the Dublin Bus stop on the main road. It does not pick up from Superquinn.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭xshayx

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Cheeky Chops

I caught the bus for the first time last week. It took an hour and 40 mins to get to the airport (2pm) in the afternoon.

Coming back I missed one by 5 mins. The journey back was 1 hour and 10 mins. The wait at the airport was a killer because I'd been delayed. By the time I got to Charlesland and walked from the bus stop in the beating rain I was not a happy camper.

Both times it would have been quicker to take the car but I will try it a few more times.

You are right about the time it leaves. Very punctual.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

That's a long trip.

I was very surprised to get to the airport in 45 minutes by car last Monday from Bray, leaving at just after 8AM.

• Advertisement

To be fair, they give a trip time of 1hr 40mins on their timetable, so it does what it says on the tin!

Negotiating the M50, toll bridge and road works at that time would probably take as long, plus you've the added stress that even when you get to the airport, you still have to park and take a bus!

Advertisement