Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greystones Aircoach via port tunnel

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

To be fair, they give a trip time of 1hr 40mins on their timetable, so it does what it says on the tin!

Negotiating the M50, toll bridge and road works at that time would probably take as long, plus you've the added stress that even when you get to the airport, you still have to park and take a bus!

At 2 in the afternoon, I'd expect it to be no more than a 50 - 60 minute drive from Greystones.

I can't believe the good time I made last week - it was like Jebus knew I was running late.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Cheeky Chops

I'm delighted we have the service but to be honest, from clearing customs *chuckle*, to walking into my house took nearly 2 hours 15 mins. At that time of night I could have driven back MUCH quicker.

It wasn't as convenient as I thought it would be. I agree with Eoin that at 2pm, 1 hour 40 is a long trip.

I will use it again but it was the homeward part that was a pain. It didn't help that it was lashing rain, I'd been delayed anyway and I was missing the bloody football!

As I said, great to have it. I just wish it didn't have to go through Shankhill and that it arrived magically when you walk out of the Arrivals hall. Not asking for much eh :p

Another thing that annoyed me was that while I was waiting I got chatting to a couple heading back to Belfast. Their return ticket was €20. €2 more than to Greystones!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

The price is steep compared to their other services, I agree. But you can hardly blame them that it took you 2:15 to get home when you missed one and had to wait an hour. How long was the actual journey?

Maybe I've just been lucky so far. The only time I've used it coming back from the airport, it took a tad over an hour and we only had to a couple of minutes for it, and going out to the airport at 3:30am it took 49 minutes. Family have used it coming to Greystones and were quite impressed with it.

I guess you also have to factor in for daytime trips that the traffice through Bray can be a nightmare, likewise Sandymount Strand.
    eoin_s wrote:
    it was like Jebus knew I was running late

Jebus loves you.

I wasn't blaming them Mike and didn't mean it to come over like that. I just realised on this occasion that driving would have been a better option. It didn't work out so well for me this time.

Edited to add that I think I had an unrealistic expectation of the service. I travel quite frequently and I thought my nightmare journeytime would be over. That aint gonna happen anytime soon!

I guess it's just one of the drawbacks of living in such a nice place like Greystones that you have to sacrifice some things, like commuting and journeys to the airport that take longer than the flight to your destination!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭*melanie*

yea,my ma got this bus from superquinn to airport last week,she said it was perfect,and comfortable...its great news,about bloody time!

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭JanneG

Used it yesterday from the airport.

Got the 3pm bus (thankfully enough it was 5 mins late or we would have had to wait for the 4.30pm one) and walked through the front door at 4.20 or so.

I cannot find any fault with the service. Would have been more than €20 or so pp for just parking out at the airport.

I will definitely use it again for pleasure trips. For business (and seeing as I'm not paying the parking!) I will drive.

It's great to have the choice.

Must start saving for that big house with the helipad and helicopter :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 380 ✭✭future_plans

Can somebody who got this bus in the morning (4.30 or 5.30) let me know what time you got to the airport for? I doubt it's much over an hour at that time. Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭NewHome

Can somebody who got this bus in the morning (4.30 or 5.30) let me know what time you got to the airport for? I doubt it's much over an hour at that time. Thanks!

We got the bus at 5.30am on a Thursday morning and it took an hour to get to airport.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Hammiepeters

If it was express it would be there in well under an hour. But because it has scheduled stops at various locations; you get this scenario where the bus is crawling along in the bus lane on an otherwise empty road. Providing the tunnel is open, it takes about an hour at that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Pixied

Hi

I have to go to the airport at short notice tomorrow morning.

Does anyone know exactly where in Loughlinstown the bus stops??

Any help appreciated with this, I don't want to be stuck wandering around the N11 at 6.30am :eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

Pixied wrote: »
    Hi

I have to go to the airport at short notice tomorrow morning.

Does anyone know exactly where in Loughlinstown the bus stops??

Any help appreciated with this, I don't want to be stuck wandering around the N11 at 6.30am :eek::eek::eek:

At the flyover according to their website : http://www.aircoach.ie/media/greystones_route.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Pixied

Cheers Eirgod

I had seen that but I am not that familar with the area. Somebody told me they thought that there were 2 bus stops before and after the fly over on that side of the N11.

Then another person said there is only one stop and that it was just down by Jims Rocks car place.

:confused::confused::confused:

Does anyone know which it is?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Does the bus operate a normal service tomorrow bank holiday Monday?

SofaK wrote: »
    Does the bus operate a normal service tomorrow bank holiday Monday?
    Same schedule every day, so it will be as per the timetable linked to earlier in this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Joliegood

Folks,

A friend has a flight at 10.00 on Friday. Has anyone ever taken the 7.30 aircoach from Greystones at this time on a weekday ? The timetable says it will arrive at 8.50. Just wondering how reliable this is on a weekday morning. Any advice would be welcome, thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭tiptap

Joliegood wrote: »
    Folks,

A friend has a flight at 10.00 on Friday. Has anyone ever taken the 7.30 aircoach from Greystones at this time on a weekday ? The timetable says it will arrive at 8.50. Just wondering how reliable this is on a weekday morning. Any advice would be welcome, thanks.

Hi there, I gather you mean 10am ?
    If so, then I would definetely take the earlier bus to be honest.
    I've used the service at peak times, and it can take an age to get through Bray and Shankill.
    Too risky in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Joliegood

Thanks tiptap. Better to err on the side of caution I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

they say it takes 1hr 20mins. We got the first one in the morning around 4am and it took all that time with minimal traffic. I'd go early.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 mousecatcher

We took the 7.30am coach for an 11.20 flight to the States. Got to Dublin airport at 9.10 because the traffic was really heavy. Better to get the early coach and be stranded in Dublin airport having over-priced coffee than turned away from check-in because you're late, or trying to get through security in a panic :)

Has the 12pm aircoach been dropped???? I was planning on being on it but according to the website there's one at 11 and then 1. I'd miss my flight :eek:

http://www.aircoach.ie/media/greystones_route.pdf

Tried ringing and can't get through.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 finch

Does anyone know how long the bus takes once it gets to the Point Depot. I am planning on getting the bus here on a friday evening and wondered how long does it actually take from the POint depot to the airport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭wingding

Mmmm, well the link above shows it takes 15 minutes?....

wingding wrote: »
    Mmmm, well the link above shows it takes 15 minutes?....
    That's about right, although how the traffic is on a Friday evening on the M1 may affect the journey time, so be sure to allow some extra time.

If the Port Tunnell is closed, then it's anyone's guess! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭caji

I got the bus in December (3pm) and it took about 2 hours from Charlesland to the airport. This was due to heave traffic in Bray and there was a huge bottleneck at the East Link. According to the driver those delays seem to be the norm at that time of day. It took about 25 minutes to get from the point to the airport.

Advertisement