Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loud music in neighbouring apartment

Options
  • 14-04-2008 10:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Does anyone know what can be done about neighbours who play loud music as crazy hours? I am renting an apartment on the 3 rd Floor of a 7 floor block. On previous weekends, I have heard some base coming up through the floor. Took a walk around the block but could not really figure out where it was coming from.

However, on Saturday night the music was very very loud. Discovered it was the apartment under mine 2 floors down. I knocked on their door at about 1.30am to see if they would be amenable to turning it down & was greeted by some not so friendly Russians who were not interested in turning it down. The apt is across the road from a Garda Station so over I went, only to be told that there was very little that they could do as it is a ‘domestic incident’. The Sergeant took my number & said he would call if anyone became available to visit the apt. I received a call from the Gardai at around 2.30am but at this stage the music had stopped. But…at approx 4.30am the rave started once more. I went back over to the Garda Station & 2 gardai accompanied me back to the apartment block. When they knocked at the door the music was turned up, which annoyed the Garda enough to make him nearly bang the door down. We got the desired result in that after their visit the music was switched off.

What I would like to know is what can be done about noisy neighbours – apart from calling the Gardai as a last resort? Our management agreement states that ‘parties’ & ‘loud music’ are not allowed – but can this be enforced. The rent in the block goes from EUR 900 – EUR 1300 so I would have expected ‘nice’ neighbours. How stupid was I!

All info greatly appreciated,
    Tom.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

The guards can be of little help as they technically can't respond unless there is a crime being committed. Its a wonder that they actually went up with you, as if the neighbours wanted to keep playing the music till midday the next day - there would be little a guard could do to stop them.

You should initially try and remember every incident of loud noise coming from the apartment - dates, times etc. Go to your managing agent and complain, and give them specifics. Insist that the landlord is called regarding the situation and insist that something is done about it. Ask the agent to come back to you with the landlord's response.

The agent can threaten legal action on behalf of the management company in some cases. If you live in the Fingal Co Co area, there is a noise complaints proceedure you can engage, I don't think DCC have the same proceedure available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

As far as I am aware, the law was changed a few years ago, basically it is a civil matter and the guards cannot enter to turn it off, like they used to do this in my student days.

Now what is needed is a new law to allow the gardai at their descretion to deal with irregular noise distrubance. This is what is needed and I cannot understand why the law was changed in the first place. Typical ireland pass the buck b*llsh1t. Also because detached house, ivy palaced politicians and Irelands elite generally dont have to endulge other peoples selfishness, I cannot see any such act being passed through Dail Eireann any time soon.

Basically the alternative is that you have to put up with it and start becoming a noise accountant until you get so fed up with trying to get landlords numbers under freedom of info acts etc, that you will end up tearing your hair out. Its a F**king joke TBH. In this country the victim is the one who gets no help and the thug gets off scott free to do it again.

Also these guys sound fairly intimidating.!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭tomcollins97

The apartment is in Limerick City - in a nice area! Around luch-time on Suday a dodgy looking guy scaled the 7 foot high fence & we could see him talking to people leaning out the first floor apt window. Hence, I don't really want to have to get into the "first approach the person or
    business causing the noise explaining that it is a nuisance and try
    to come to a mutually acceptable solution."
    as is suggested on many county council websites.

It is frustrating to say the least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

first approach the person or
    business causing the noise explaining that it is a nuisance and try
    to come to a mutually acceptable solution." .

second get the sh!t kicked outta ya.
    thrid this is ireland, deal with the problem yourself because officialdom will turn a blind eye

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭BigglesMcGee

Get the emergency number of the management company.

Look up the landlords name and address in Thomms directory if the management company dont give it to you.

Basically do all you can to get addresses and phone numbers of those who may have some influence over the tenants.

Give these numbers to everyone else effected by the noise.

Then whenever there is noise, call those numbers - management agents emergency number, landlords number/ home number and ask them to come and sort it out. if they dont, keep calling. Tell everyone who can hear it to keep calling and leaving messages.

If it gets to the stage where you have to drive to their houses and knock on the door at 4am do this.

Make your misery their misery at the same unsociable hours as its bothering you. All you are doing is informing them of an issue in their property. They'll soon respond.
    Its sad that it has to come to this though.

As an aside my sis tells me that a huge bruiser of a guy knocked on her and her neighbours doors last year, leaving them a number to call if they had problems with anti-social neighbours. He would sort them out for a small fee :)
    Obviously this has become a problem that people are willing to pay to have sorted out because the gardai have no power to.

• Advertisement

Just spoke to the mgmt company. There were not too ompressed & will get back to me later today. It will be interesting to see what happens. I'll keep you posted!

They are being evicted!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Just for yourself, if they try to appeal the eviction through PRTB it can take anywhere up to 6 months to actually see them gone. But thats presuming that they know who PRTB are and what 'rights' they have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭traceybere

the Department of Enviroment can step as a last result under the nosie polution act

Advertisement