Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tuna Steaks

• 14-04-2008 10:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭

Hi all, bought two massive tuna steaks out in Howth yesterday but have never cooked them before.

Does anyone have any ideas of what to do with them for tonights dinner?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭babyguinnessfan

Lightly brush with oil and sear for minute or two on each side on griddle pan or under grill.

Serve with huge bed of salad leaves, boiled new potatoes, sliced, crumbled goats cheese & cherry tomatoes.

I usually do up some balsamic onions as well - just cook down some red onions, add teaspoon or so of brown sugar and lots of balsamic vinegar, salt & pepper. Lash that on top of the tuna. Yum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Nicoise salad.
    Cook salad potatoes and green beans until tender. Boil some eggs until hard boiled. Chop tomato and cucumber. Add black olives and torn basil leaves. Add a couple of anchoives thinly sliced.

If you prefer tuna rare - cook for a minute or two on each side. If you prefer it cooked through, slice it thinly and cook for a minute or two in a hot pan.

The salad is great when the warm potatoes and beans are mixed with the rest of the ingredients. Some olive oil and black pepper finishes the dish.

Some recipes call for garlic to be added. I prefer a handful of capers.

A taste of summer - and we could all do with some of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭dulux

Lightly brush with oil and sear for minute or two on each side on griddle pan or under grill.

Yes this is a good way to start, cut some new or salad potatoes into quaters (Keeping them roughly the same size) boil them and put in a colandar to fluff up. Make a dressing of the zest and juice of half a lemon, salt + pepper, capers and some olive oil. After the potatoes are fluffyput them in the dressing and get them all coated. Arange on a plate with some rocket and sprinkle some finely chopped sun dried tomato. Drizzle some the juice from the other half of your lemon over your steaks. Yum:)

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭xxdilemmaxx

This is what I made last night, kind of a mixture of everyone's ideas, turned out really well:

Boiled some baby new potatoes and tossed in a herb butter when they were cooked.

Meanwhile made up a salad of baby leaves, cherry tomatoes and sprinkled some crumbed goats cheese on top, also hard boiled two eggs cos I love them! Made a dressing myself...

Brushed the tuna steaks with oil and cooked on a griddle pan until almost completely cooked through, looked lovely with the criss cross lines from the griddle pan. Also made the balsamic caremised onions (these were v tasty) which I placed on top of the cooked tuna steaks.

First time trying fresh tuna and was well impressed, thanks everyone for the ideas!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Next time, try marinading them in teriyaki sauce for about an hour before cooking.

• Advertisement
Advertisement