Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NCT test or get a pre-nct test

• 14-04-2008 10:12am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 229 ✭✭

Hi

I know this is a bit of topic but does anyone know how much it is for a pre nct test in town?i heard that kwikfit are doing one for around 50 euro but other people are telling me its pointless getting it done and also does anyone know the cost of getting tracking/balancing done???

thanks all

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭waster81

i think advanced pit stop do a free pre nct test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 229 ✭✭rohe

:)
    waster81 wrote: »
    i think advanced pit stop do a free pre nct test

thanks

will give em a ring

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

rohe wrote: »
    i heard that kwikfit are doing one for around 50 euro but other people are telling me its pointless getting it done
    The retest is €27.50, so unless you can get the pre-test done for less it is pointless.
    Then of course as the pre-test is unofficial, you can almost guarantee that things will 'fail' and get repaired (€€€) where they would have passed the actual test anyway.
    does anyone know the cost of getting tracking/balancing done???
    Around €50.

Gurgle wrote: »
    The retest is €27.50, so unless you can get the pre-test done for less it is pointless.
    Then of course as the pre-test is unofficial, you can almost guarantee that things will 'fail' and get repaired (€€€) where they would have passed the actual test anyway.

Around €50.

thanks was kinda in two minds about the pre test done, was gonna put my car through the nct and see what happens with it??change the oil, and all that stuff myself

dont suppose you'd know if the tracking and/or balancing would fail the nct?????

dont suppose you'd know if the tracking and/or balancing would fail the nct?????

Dunno if it would fail the NCT, but if it needs doing you should get it done. Otherwise you'll wear tyres out quicker and possibly even use more fuel.

• Advertisement

Dunno if it would fail the NCT, but if it needs doing you should get it done. Otherwise you'll wear tyres out quicker and possibly even use more fuel.[/qu

true, will get it done in the next few days

thanks for your help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85 ✭✭Whatsthisabout

I was told on a pre NCT that I would fail on my front brakes.

Order new ones but actually ran out of time to have the fitted and got the car ncted without fitting the breaks.

The car passed so I was stuck with a brand new set of breaks as well as paying for the nct.

My advise don't do the pre-nct.

If the car is going to fail you will have to get the work done anyway so all your really doing is prolonging the inevitable as well as paying more money then necessary.

true

i've decided not to bother with the pre nct test but rang advance pit stop and their doing a free pre nct check, so am gonna go with that and pay the extra for the balancing and tracking because i need it done anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

true

i've decided not to bother with the pre nct test but rang advance pit stop and their doing a free pre nct check, so am gonna go with that and pay the extra for the balancing and tracking because i need it done anyway
    pre ncts are a scam bigger than the nct itself advance will probably tell ya you need new shocks or something like that and you probably don,t my advice would be just put it through the test and whatever fails just get that sorted cos on the re-test they can only test what was failed in the first place!!!!its cheaper option than getting ripped off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭JohnC.

I have heard bad experiences with pre-NCT tests too. I just arrange my annual service for shortly before the NCT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

All Advance staff get bonuses based on extra stuff they convince you to get done. Plus they do not hire proper mechanics, their main one left not so long ago apart from that they have an apprentice or two and a few manual laborours for want of a better term, all of whom depend on what they can convince you to get done to bring their pay up to something you can actually live on. I wouldn't bother if I were you. Its much the same as the scientologists "free personality test" years ago, they just want you in the door so they can get closer to your wallet !

Just get the NCT done, its the best value in town. My bro's a mechanic and I am still sending mine in on Friday to see what it fails on..

yeah would definetly agree with the above post

rang advance yesterday to book the free pre nct check and the guy kept trying to convince me throughout the whole phonecall that i needed a service, that their doing one for 180, and my car will definetly fail, blaa blaa blaa and then said to me the pre nct check is only a visual check that they dont actually use any equipment in checking the car because i'm not paying for it,so am thinking is it worth my while bringing it down next week to advance???? think i be better off doing what everyone says and just it through the nct and see what happens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

yeah would definetly agree with the above post

rang advance yesterday to book the free pre nct check and the guy kept trying to convince me throughout the whole phonecall that i needed a service, that their doing one for 180, and my car will definetly fail, blaa blaa blaa and then said to me the pre nct check is only a visual check that they dont actually use any equipment in checking the car because i'm not paying for it,so am thinking is it worth my while bringing it down next week to advance???? think i be better off doing what everyone says and just it through the nct and see what happens
    good on ya boy it will work out cheaper for ya in the end

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 deisehead

lads any honest and decent mechanic in the town would tell you to go get the NCT and whatever the car fails for then bring it into them and they will fix it up. Advance are some scam ! I've heard a few doggy stories about doing people in the past

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Meath999

Hi

I know this is a bit of topic but does anyone know how much it is for a pre nct test in town?i heard that kwikfit are doing one for around 50 euro but other people are telling me its pointless getting it done and also does anyone know the cost of getting tracking/balancing done???

thanks all

What car, make / model / year r u driving ??? If its car's 1st or 2nd NCT and it has not been abused, then I'd say dont bother with all that pre-NCT crap. you will be allright. by the way, most places do a free "pre-NCT" check. yet its better to avoid that and go to the NCT straight as they will give you exact report on what needs to be done on the car if its not passed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭beaushalloe

Quigs Snr wrote: »
    All Advance staff get bonuses based on extra stuff they convince you to get done. Plus they do not hire proper mechanics, their main one left not so long ago apart from that they have an apprentice or two and a few manual laborours for want of a better term, all of whom depend on what they can convince you to get done to bring their pay up to something you can actually live on. I wouldn't bother if I were you. Its much the same as the scientologists "free personality test" years ago, they just want you in the door so they can get closer to your wallet

and you have firm information to back up this comment??????

Yes I do. I know a few people in the trade and a few who work or have worked there, plus a few who have been given job offers with what I outlined above listed as one of their responsibilities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 261 ✭✭next

Had my NCT today have to have a retest rubber on the footbrake was missing and I forgot to take the hubs of the wheels :(

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭pommers

thanks was kinda in two minds about the pre test done, was gonna put my car through the nct and see what happens with it??change the oil, and all that stuff myself

my car failed because of the tracking.

pommers wrote: »
    my car failed because of the tracking.

thanks handy to know

• Advertisement

Meath999 wrote: »
    What car, make / model / year r u driving ??? If its car's 1st or 2nd NCT and it has not been abused, then I'd say dont bother with all that pre-NCT crap. you will be allright. by the way, most places do a free "pre-NCT" check. yet its better to avoid that and go to the NCT straight as they will give you exact report on what needs to be done on the car if its not passed.

am driving a hyundai accent, this is the third nct its going through,buti only have the car 10 months and it got a service when i bought it the 10 months ago, am not going to bother getting any thing done with it, i done the oil and the usual stuff myself and see how it goes next day,

thanks for the advice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭beaushalloe

Quigs Snr wrote: »
    Yes I do. I know a few people in the trade and a few who work or have worked there, plus a few who have been given job offers with what I outlined above listed as one of their responsibilities.

ah yes. the good old hearsay.

These armchair lawyers really annoy me.

I have stated fact not hearsay. Obviously in the interests of fairness, I cannot name names of current employees.

If you wish to verify this and feel strongly about this, I suggest you go in there and tell them you are a second year apprentice looking for a job. Or just tell them that you are handy with cars and interested in a tyre changing job. Ask them about the conditions of employment, pay etc... what I have told you is no big secret. Then just PM me and I will have your humble pie sent over ASAP by courier.

I was trying to do the OP a favour, but if you choose to file this under hearsay, then go knock yourself out. Head on in there and be prepared for you and your car to be well and truly ridden. I could not care less. Its not like any of the other similar type places are any better anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Off topic, but slightly related..

Will an NCT test centre NCT a vehicle not currently registered in Ireland?

I'm pretty sure that in the UK they'll MOT a foreign car and issue a cert bearing the chassis number, as opposed to reg number. When the car is subsequently registered in the UK and has a UK registration number assigned, the DVLA re-issue the MOT cert but replace the chassis number with the new UK reg (so I understand).

Do they do the same thing here does anyone know?

benifa wrote: »
    Off topic, but slightly related..

Will an NCT test centre NCT a vehicle not currently registered in Ireland?

I'm pretty sure that in the UK they'll MOT a foreign car and issue a cert bearing the chassis number, as opposed to reg number. When the car is subsequently registered in the UK and has a UK registration number assigned, the DVLA re-issue the MOT cert but replace the chassis number with the new UK reg (so I understand).

Do they do the same thing here does anyone know?

http://www.ncts.ie/faq.html#16
    The basic procedure for importing a car is as follows:

Go to customs (Revenue Commissioners) and pay Vehicle Registration Tax (VRT).
    Customs will issue a Vehicle Registration Certificate which will reference new Irish registration number.
    Get new registration plates fitted.
    Go to NCT centre with Vehicle Registration Certificate and have the vehicle input on NCTS database.
    The following day a test can be booked for the vehicle by phoning the call centre on 1890 412 413.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Thanks for that. Gutted. I'm reluctant to pay VRT and register it unless I know it'll pass an NCT. Pity they won't NCT based on chassis number, as in UK.

So hey, looks like I'll be going for a pre-NCT test then. (not at Advance Pitstop though, from what I've been reading!).

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Pattylou

I've just failed by NCT Test, I got a five point health check on my car by
    Fast Fit and they told me there was nothing wrong with my car. It was free so no bother. My car failed on the following:

Brake effort: Nearside 0.66kN offside 1.19kN
    Ovality: Nearside 27% offside 28%

Imbalance: 45% it should have been under30%

I phoned Advance Pit Stop and was assured by the Mechanic that he knew exactly what was the matter. A leak in the Brake Cylinder and that I would have to buy 2 at E87 a piece. I asked him was that all and he said no it may need other things. I asked if I could bring up the car to him to have it checked and get an estimate and he said OK. I did that and was told again after having (I Hope) the car checked that it was a leak in the cylinder and that the total cost for repair would be E.200 and that the
    sidelamps that failed also would be replaced free of charge.

I came home and phoned the Hyundai Dealers( The car is Hyundai Atos with a milage of 32,000 miles) what they would charge for the same job and they also quoted E200 because they said the labour would cost approx. 110E. So as I am a woman who knows very little about cars wonder should I keep looking, I read on Boards.ie that for 2 cyliners + brakepads should'nt be an more that E150. Any help would be appreiaced.:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Pattylou, from experience I'd recommend talking to mechanic PJ O'Shea up on Gracedieu road - very reasonable and decent and you won't go to far wrong with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Pattylou

Thank you Dilbert 75, I take it you are referring to PJ OSHEA mechanic from Gracedieu Road in WATERFORD......Sadly I live in Dublin.:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Pattylou wrote: »
    Thank you Dilbert 75, I take it you are referring to PJ OSHEA mechanic from Gracedieu Road in WATERFORD......Sadly I live in Dublin.:cool:

With respect, what are you posting on a Waterford thread then.

Advertisement