Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Difference between PSP PHAT & SLIM

Options
  • 14-04-2008 10:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭

Hi,

Probably a stupid question but what are the key differences between the PSP Phat Vs Slim?

I've juts purchased a Pandora's Battery & Magic Stick and need to be certain what type of PSP I have before installing the following:

1) If you are installing the original 1.50 (FOR PSP FAT ONLY), go to that option and press X. Once installed, you can press X to go back to the installer. Then, click EXIT.

2) For installing 1.50+3.40 hw (FOR PSP SLIM OR FAT), go down to that option in the installer and press X. This will take a while, and once it is done, you can press x to exit to the installer. You can then press EXIT.

3) For installing 3.40 OE (FOR PSP FAT), you must go down to "Install 3.40 OE" in the installer, and press X. Once the installer finishes, press X to return to the installer menu. Then click EXIT.

4) For installing 3.60 M33 (FOR PSP SLIM ONLY) go to "Install 3.60" in the installer, and press X. Once the installer finishes, press X to return to the installer menu. Then click EXIT. *

Thanks in advance.

EireEV

p.s my psp has psp1003 at the bottom so think it's a Phat as SLIM are 2000+ - is that correct?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,255 ✭✭✭ongarite

Thats an install guide for Time Machine not for Pandora Battery. Please do not use it and anyway it will not run on unmodded PSP.
    You have a phat PSP BTW, speakers on the bottom, curved underneath.

What stuff do you have for modding PSP?
    Your unmodded PSP?
    Datel TOOL or Pandora Battery?
    Unmodded Memory Stick?

Please let me know so I can post the relevant guide.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭EireEV

Hi - Thanks for the reply.

I have an unmodded PSP running official Sony Firmware 3.90 - I want to be able to run .iso & .cso files so I was told I need to role back to Firmware version 1.50 and install cfw - I was told the only way to do this (as I'm running 3.90) was with Pandora's battery and a magic stick so that's what I've bought.

Below are the instructions I receivied.

*Instructions:*
    1) Make sure the power cable is unplugged.
    2) Insert supplied magic memory stick
    3) Insert battery securely
    4) LEDs at bottom left of psp will start flashing
    5) A menu will load after a few seconds
    6) Press X
    7) Let setup proceed
    8) Once setup is completed, press X again to shut down psp.
    9) Replace battery and memory stick with normal ones and turn on your psp!
    10) it is now running custom firmware/ubricked!!

Do I need to do anything after I complete the steps above to be able to run .iso & .cso files??

The guide I received has the following after the above:

*Installing Dark Alex's Time Machine v0.1
    *1) All necessary files for installation has been included on the memory stick for your convenience.

2)Turn on your PSP normally with the magic memory stick inserted. Go to GAME, then MEMORY STICK. You will see "Time Machine". Start the application. A menu with many options will appear.

3)Select the first option "I*nstall IPLOADER*" by pressing X. Once it is done, press X to return to the install menu.

4)Then select the second option (*Convert Pandora IPL into TimeMachine format*). Then press X to return to the install menu.

5)Now, you have 4 options. You can either install *1.50 for _FAT PSP only_*, *1.50+3.40 hw for _SLIM or PHAT_*, *3.40 OE For _PSP FAT only_*, or *3.60 M33 firmware For _PSP SLIM_* only. * *******Installing the wrong version(for example, installing 1.50 on a slim psp) on your psp will cause your psp to malfunction!!!!* ********If you have a SLIM, you must install 1.50+3.40 hw, NOT the regular 1.50.*
    how to install the different versions:**
    1) If you are installing the original 1.50 (FOR PSP FAT ONLY), go to that option and press X. Once installed, you can press X to go back to the installer. Then, click EXIT.

2) For installing 1.50+3.40 hw (FOR PSP SLIM OR FAT), go down to that option in the installer and press X. This will take a while, and once it is done, you can press x to exit to the installer. You can then press EXIT.

3) For installing 3.40 OE (FOR PSP FAT), you must go down to "Install 3.40 OE" in the installer, and press X. Once the installer finishes, press X to return to the installer menu. Then click EXIT.

4) For installing 3.60 M33 (FOR PSP SLIM ONLY) go to "Install 3.60" in the installer, and press X. Once the installer finishes, press X to return to the installer menu. Then click EXIT. *

*NOW, TAKE OUT YOUR REGULAR BATTERY AND INSERT YOUR PANDORA'S BATTERY.
    YOUR PSP SHOULD START UP WITH YOUR REGULAR FIRMWARE*

Hold your PSP power button for about 3 seconds and your PSP will turn off.

*FOR STARTING 1.50+3.40 HW FIRMWARE* - Hold down CIRCLE and push up the power button. If done correctly, you will start up 1.50+3.40hw firmware.

*FOR STARTING 1.50 FIRMWARE* - Hold down X and push up the power button.
    If done correctly, you will start the 1.50 firmware.

*FOR STARTING 3.40 OE FIRMWARE* - Hold down TRIANGLE and push up the power button. If done correctly, you will start the 3.40 OE firmware.

*FOR STARTING 3.60 M33 FIRMWARE* - Hold down SQUARE and push up the power button. If done correctly, you will start 3.60 M33 firmware.

*If you don't hold any button when you start your PSP, you will start up your regular firmware.

*How to install Dark alex's 1.50 kernel add-on* ****FOR PSP FAT ONLY**** If installed on a psp slim, it will cause your psp to malfunction. We will not be held responsible for anything that happens to your psp in the case that you ignore this warning.
    *1)Turn on the psp normally with the magic memory stick inserted.
    2) In the main menu, go to Game-->Memory Stick-->1.50 kernel add-on 3)Press X to run and press X again. It's done!

Newbie to all this so any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

EireEV

Where did you get that guide, its pure gibberish and the info you have is completely wrong.
    That guide assumes you have CFW PSP already and are installing Time Machine.

There is no need at all to downgrade to 1.50FW at all to install CFW on your PSP.
    You will be using DC V3 and your Pandora Battery to install CFW.

How to downgrade, install CFW on ANY PSP using Datel TOOL and TotalNewbieEasyInstaller:

Intro:
    As an alternative to my other tutorial on installing CFW using UPMS, this tutorial will show you how to flash your PSP with CFW using a previously purchased Datel TOOL battery and Windows based program called TotalNewbieEasyInstaller.
    Disclaimer: I don't have Vista OS, but I have read that the important part of this guide(IPL writing) doesn't work on Vista.

What you'll need:
    - Your PSP, either original or Slim PSP.
    - Memory Stick Pro Duo ranging in size from 128MB (minimum) to 4GB (maximum)

What to do:
    1. Download the TotalNewbieEasyInstaller from QJ.net website here.
    2. Extract the contents of the zip package to your desktop.
    3. Run the "START.EXE" application.
    4. Connect PSP to your PC using USB cable. (Take note of the letter your PC assigns to the PSP MS).
    5. Press ENTER to format your PSP. Depending on the size of MS being used, this can take up to 5 minutes to complete.
    6. Press ENTER to set the drive label and then Y at the next prompt to format MS again.
    7. With USB connection active, remove MS from PSP, then disable USB connection by pressing "O". Press ENTER to continue to next step.
    8. Insert MS card into PSP and wait till orange access light stops flashing and then activate USB connection. Press ENTER to continue to next step.
    9. A menu will appear with 4 installation options. Choose "4. Universal Unbricker: 3.71 M33 Installer.
    10. When installation has finished, the IPL loader screen will appear. Press "Y" to install.
    11. Then press ENTER and ENTER to close the program.

How to use:
    1. Turn off PSP and remove AC power supply.
    2. Insert Datel TOOL battery.
    3. DC V3 should load up giving option to flash to 3.71 M33, flash Sony 3.71FW or backup NAND.
    4. Backup NAND with square [ ] and it will write NAND to your MS, you will need 32MB (original PSP) or 64MB (Slim PSP) of free space for this. Your PSP will power off after this.
    5. Remove and insert Datel TOOL battery again and this time choose X to install 3.71 M33 CFW.

Save nanddump.bin in root of MS to your PC when you are finished for safe keeping, incase you brick your PSP one day.

Updating 3.71 M33 firmware:
    3.71 M33-4 is the last update for 3.71 M33 firmwares and is extremely stable and bug-free so for newcomers to PSP CFW I would recommend it over the newer 3.80 M33-5.
    1. Download the M33-4 update from Dark_Alex website.
    2. Extract the contents and you should have a folder called UPDATE.
    3. Connect PSP to PC using USB and copy the UPDATE folder to ms0:/PSP/GAME.
    4. Browse to GAME / Memory Stick in XMB and run the M33-4 updater.

Installing 1.50FW (homebrew) addon:
    WARNING: THIS IS FOR PHAT PSP ONLY, DO NOT RUN ON SLIM
    1. Download the 1.5FW V2 addon from Dark_Alex website.
    2. Extract the contents and you should see an UPDATE folder.
    3. Connect PSP to PC using USB and copy the UPDATE folder to ms0:/PSP/GAME.
    4. Copy the Sony 1.5FW called 150.PBP that we used to make UPMS to root of MS (ms0:)
    5. Browse to GAME / Memory Stick in XMB and run the 1.50 V2 installer

I got the guide from http://pandorabatt.blogspot.com.

I'm totally confused now... If I follow the first 10 steps below using Pandora's Battery and Magic Stick I've received will I not then have unbricked my psp and be running cfw?

Can you tell me the steps I need to follow to load .iso & .cso files - that's all I want to do.

Don't know what you mean by the following:

You will be using DC V3 and your Pandora Battery to install CFW.

• Advertisement

What is Datel Tool?? I have Pandora's Battery.

Sorry not answering 2nd question and if you ask it again for the 3rd time you will be banned.

Look, you paid money for a free tool, service from dodgy looking website.

Take one step back to help me understand:
    1. Turn off PSP.
    2. Insert Magic MS
    3. Insert Pandora Battery

What happens to your PSP then? MS orange access light starts flashing and Pandora Menu on screen??
    EireEV wrote: »
    What is Datel Tool?? I have Pandora's Battery.

Datel TOOL is a brand of Pandora Battery.

What's with the attitude??

I don'y have my psp with me - I'll have to post back later this evening.

Discussion of anything relating to backups and how to do so is forbidden on boards.ie

I've done the below:

1. Turn off PSP.
    2. Insert Magic MS
    3. Insert Pandora Battery

What happens to your PSP then? MS orange access light starts flashing and Pandora Menu on screen?? - YES

• Advertisement

Whats the options then? Use DC V5 to install 3.90 M33-3?

Will you be around about 7pm tonight and we can go through this then?

Yes, PM me with MSN details..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 thaWOP

What if I have a fat hardmodded battery, only by pulling pin? Does that mean I still follow the procedure above or do I have to have some kind of other info to put on ms to make battery the whole pandora thing work. Or after pulling the pin, is the battery turned automatically into a pandora battery?

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭vigos

Great post Ongarite, just upgraded my PSP with OFW 3.9 to 3.71 M33-4 with no problems whatsoever following your instructions above

thaWOP, I´m not sure if that hardmodded pandora battery is only for the PSP slim batteries or not. If you know someone with a phat psp you could get them to make a pandora battery using software which would be another option

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 totalwise

Pandorizing batteries, and 'un-pandorizing' them each time m33 releases a new update is a pain in the ass to be honest.I got a pandora battery from http://www.pandoragadgets.co.uk and use it all the time, it saves me time, plus once I bricked my battery from a bad patch and didn't make a backup. Yes folks, you CAN brick a battery. So it's good to have a spare.Over and out:)Total

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Around €7 delivered here

totalwise wrote: »
    Pandorizing batteries, and 'un-pandorizing' them each time m33 releases a new update is a pain in the ass to be honest.I got a pandora battery from http://www.pandoragadgets.co.uk and use it all the time, it saves me time, plus once I bricked my battery from a bad patch and didn't make a backup. Yes folks, you CAN brick a battery. So it's good to have a spare.Over and out:)Total

Haha this post is funny.
    You only need to ever use a Pandora Battery once; to boot your PSP in Service Mode to then install Dark_Alex CFW.
    Updating is completely idiot-proof using the built-in Network Updater or manual install if you feel like it.
    Its impossible to brick a battery unless literally hit it with a brick.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Thought it was a kinda strange post myself, when i went onto his page 15-20mins after his post he was still looking at this thread.

After googling his name I found something shill-tastic!

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭red_fox

Thought it was a kinda strange post myself, when i went onto his page 15-20mins after his post he was still looking at this thread.

After googling his name I found something shill-tastic!

Not only that but:

[whois.nic.uk]

Domain name:
    pandoragadgets.co.uk

Registrant:
    Total Wise

Registrant type:
    UK Individual

Registrant's address:
    The registrant is a non-trading individual who has opted to have their
    address omitted from the WHOIS service.

Registrar: