Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Theory Test Book Misprints?

Options
  • 14-04-2008 10:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

Are there mistakes in the theory test book (2nd edition 2006)?
    I only bought this book a few weeks ago.

For example, on page 47 it says you should "proceed if the way is clear" when the traffic light is amber. Surely the correct answer is "Stop, unless it would be unsafe to do so" ? Or am I incorrect here?

What other mistakes are hidden in the book?

davej

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭prodigal_son

I havent got the book in front of me, but there are 2 different types of amber lights, one means go but pay attention, the other means stop unless its dangerous to do so.

Ill go route around for the book and get the exact question and answer for you in a min to check if its a misprint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

I have the official driver theory test, second edition right in front of me now.

On Page 47 the last question on the page is about traffic lights,

Q What does this traffic light mean?

Ans (b) Stop, Unless it would be unsafe to do so.

Unless the meaning has changed in the last month or two, thats what it has always meant. There are amber lights that mean pay attention but keep going (usually flashing and not part of normal red, amber, green traffic lights), but in traffic lights it always means the same thing.

Must be a misprint with your book, I only bought mine 7 months ago I think..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭davej

I have the official driver theory test, second edition right in front of me now.

On Page 47 the last question on the page is about traffic lights,

Q What does this traffic light mean?

Ans (b) Stop, Unless it would be unsafe to do so.

Yes - In my book the asterix is beside (a) "proceed if the way is clear" !!

What a joke.. how can I trust the other (non-obvious) answers now ?

davej

Looks like this has been noticed before:

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055193814

Isn't it dangerous to have an "official" publication about the rules of the road with incorrect information (despite the disclaimers)?

davej

• Advertisement

davej wrote: »
    Looks like this has been noticed before:

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055193814

Isn't it dangerous to have an "official" publication about the rules of the road with incorrect information (despite the disclaimers)?

davej

I suppose, but Its not really the rules of the road, its just questions and answers on a test of the rules of the road.

There is a separate book for the rules of the road, Im unsure if that has errors though.

I suppose, but Its not really the rules of the road, its just questions and answers on a test of the rules of the road.

There is a separate book for the rules of the road, Im unsure if that has errors though.

Well it asks you questions about the rules of the road and purports to give you the correct answers.

I'm also guessing that you could possibly appeal the results of a failed test on the grounds of this...

davej

Well it asks you questions about the rules of the road and purports to give you the correct answers.

I'm also guessing that you could possibly appeal the results of a failed test on the grounds of this...

davej

Yeah, but im pretty sure that it states in it that its not an interpretation of the law and its only meant as guidance for the test. You're supposed to read the rules of the road book to learn the rules of the road.

Could be worth the shot to appeal, might get a free retest, but the test is easy enough, so just do your best and you will pass. Unless youre unlucky and get a bunch of tractor questions lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

As donegalfella says here are different kinds of amber lights, like at a pedestrian crossing after the red light there is a flashing orange which would apply to the answer given in the OP's book. Unless it specifically states the situation it's hard to know. Although one would expect the answer to state that you must give way to pedestrians...

As donegalfella says here are different kinds of amber lights, like at a pedestrian crossing after the red light there is a flashing orange which would apply to the answer given in the OP's book. Unless it specifically states the situation it's hard to know. Although one would expect the answer to state that you must give way to pedestrians...

There is no ambiguity over whether or not there is a mistake in the book.

My book gives one answer and prodigal_son's book gives a different answer on the exact same question (on the exact same page).

davej

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

There is no ambiguity over whether or not there is a mistake in the book.

My book gives one answer and prodigal_son's book gives a different answer on the exact same question (on the exact same page).

davej

oh right, my mistake,

In any case I passed the theory test this afternoon no problems (40/40) :)
    Though I did hear a girl next to me say that it was her 3rd time doing it !

I fired off a mail to the RSA about the error, so I'll let ye know what they say if they get back to me...

davej

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 tmulcahy365

Definately agree it was a mis-print, but would just like to point out that in the North (some/all?) traffic lights change to orange before going green, Sounds like a good idea, but in reality its more like an F1 start!

Yep - I went into Hogges Figgis on Monday (just before my test) and their books all had the error too. I wonder has the mistake been introduced in the last 6 months or so ?

Got a confirmation email back from the RSA that my query will be dealt with in due course, so we'll see what they have to say.

davej

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

My edition has the correct answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭cazzy

I have the 2001 edition - that question was on page 46 and it was correct.
    It said "Stop if it is safe to do so".
    Must have been introduced in later editions. (Also I only bought mine about a year or 2 ago - how come it was so old ! There was an insert with the questions in miles converted to km)

Well I got a response from the director of the RSA. It seems they were unaware of the issue until I reported it. The question is going to be removed from the theory test for the time being so as not to confuse people further....
    Thank you for your email about questions on the Theory Test. Clearly ,yes there is an error in the book relating to the last question on page 47 in the second reprint of the Second Edition of the book and I apologise that this is so and that people have been discommoded by this. I am working with the Theory Test provider Prometric to establish exactly what happened in this case. I want to be confident that there is adequate version control for the Manual so that mistakes do not occur.

In the meantime I have asked that this question be suppressed so it does not appear as a question on an actual theory test to confuse any candidate. When the investigation is finished I will come back to you again with more information as to how this problem arose.

davej

• Advertisement

Advertisement