Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Customs Thumbs Up

Options
  • 14-04-2008 10:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭

Fair play to the lads, in Blanch on saturday they tailed and pulled over a Latvian reg X5, spent all of 5 minutes chatting to the driver and then proceeded to take his keys and drive off in his motor :D

Not sure if this was a sting or random opportunity (I think more of a sting tho tbh as they didnt set up a checkpoint).

Nice one all the same. Too many EE reg'd cars cruising around the place without the worry of being stopped. Just a pity the customs are going for the high end stuff, if they had the man power they could be taking literally hundreds of cars off the road everyday.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Probably going for the high end stuff because the low end cars will net them bugger all in VRT!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Curvy Vixen

We moved over from the UK in 1980 with 2 UK registered cars and both Mum and Dad were pulled in the cars about 6 times in the first couple of months. They had actually paid the duty etc but hadn't gotten around to getting new reg plates but they were told that the cars would be taken off them unless it was sorted.

I have no issue with this ~ it's the law.

It does p1ss me off though watching all the foreign reg cars running around the place and I have never seen one tugged by the police. Laws should fit all! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Yes, but the majority of Foreign reg plates are perfectly legal to drive on Irish roads, in fact you can drive for up to two years on them if you have ties at home and can prove it.

Once you have an address in the country and are registered there you should switch over. Each country in the EU has slightly different rules though, for example if your on the 30% ruling in Holland you can drive for 6 months and have to go out and come back in again.

Just looking at it from another perspective as i have an Irish reg and drive legally on dutch roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

I have no problem with foreign reg cars down here, so long as the ownder of the car is on a hollier, or in a business car. But living down here, and not paying whats due annoys me.

It annoys me because if i just brought a uk reg car down here, you know the cops would on my case asap.

Saying that, if i could get away with driving a yellow reg down here, I would. Ripoff Republic and all that, but thats for another day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

craichoe wrote: »
    Yes, but the majority of Foreign reg plates are perfectly legal to drive on Irish roads, in fact you can drive for up to two years on them if you have ties at home and can prove it. .

Out of interest do you have a source for that?

I remember also reading that students studying here did not have to re-register their car for the duration of their course....

From talking to some Garda about English/NI registered cars, he said as long as the car is MOT'd / Taxed / Insured, he'll tell them they should register if if they are living here, but that's the most he'll do. As English/NI cars don't display an insurance disk they normally have for proof of insurance at a check point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

If the owner of the car is living & working here of course the car needs to be registered here and I believe the law supports that.

I wouldnt expect to bring my car to Warsaw and claim to the local federalés that I have tax / insurance & NCT at home and its all fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

I was in a well known large shopping centre yesterday, and the Car part was awash will latvian and polish plates on all sorts of motors.......not all of em rubbish - for instance there was a 7 series BM just 2 years old I'd say.........

Sizzler wrote: »
    If the owner of the car is living & working here of course the car needs to be registered here and I believe the law supports that.

I wouldnt expect to bring my car to Warsaw and claim to the local federalés that I have tax / insurance & NCT at home and its all fine.

Well thats the way it works, if your an Expat and have an address in another EU country you can keep it that way for varying amounts of time depending on the country. As long as its Insured. The NCT and Tax has no bearing over here because the tax is not for Roads in other EU States and the NCT is not recognised as a roadworthness test.

RE: Foreign cars on Irish roads, i enquired with the Revenue before i left as i'll probably transfer my car over to Dutch Plates. If i have a registered address here, i can travel back to Ireland and stay on the plates for up to two years.

Its a bit different in Ireland as theres no requirement to register with the Authorities that your normally resident, and the only way they can check is if you've applied for a PPSN number.

So, technically, if your not registered then your not required to transfer your car over.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

If you know you are moving here then you are obliged to reregister it.

Numerous links, e.g.

http://www.movetoireland.com/movepag/carimprt.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

i think its time to get a cheap flight to poland and buy a 2 year old black 740i with blacked out windows, and buy a polish/english dictionary.

whats polish for "sorry officer, i don't speak english" :D:D

• Advertisement

Sizzler wrote: »
    If you know you are moving here then you are obliged to reregister it.

Numerous links, e.g.

http://www.movetoireland.com/movepag/carimprt.htm

If your an Irish resident with a car on non-irish plates then yes you have to change plates.
    If your non Irish resident with a car on foreign plates then no.

You can work for 6 months and drive around in any EU registered car without hassle. You can even be paid in Sterling for that period of time, after that it gets a bit more complicated :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Mc-BigE wrote: »

whats polish for "sorry officer, i don't speak english"

Żałujący urzędnik, nie mówi angielski

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

Onkle wrote: »
    Żałujący urzędnik, nie mówi angielski

dziekuje Onkle! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I remember also reading that students studying here did not have to re-register their car for the duration of their course....

Is this true? There's a couple of french-registered cars (one Twingo of course) I've been seeing around UL for years, and probably a few others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Mc-BigE wrote: »
    i think its time to get a cheap flight to poland and buy a 2 year old black 740i with blacked out windows, and buy a polish/english dictionary.

whats polish for "sorry officer, i don't speak english" :D:D

You're not wrong - and here's another thing. Some of these cars could and maybe stolen. My brother lives on the continent was was offered a (red hot stolen)porche 911 for 4k on stolen polish plates. No BS...........and he tells me that there is lots of stolen foreign metal going around ireland.
    Ever think about it - how would a building site labourer on 6 or 7hundred a week afford a big and quite new BM7series in Ireland, let alone his own "poorer"country?

Is this true? There's a couple of french-registered cars (one Twingo of course) I've been seeing around UL for years, and probably a few others.

Yup, but it works the other way too, they can't buy a car and bring it home after owning it for 6 months in the country. They'd still have to pay VRT in their home country.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Except that the equivalent of VRT most places other than here and Denmark is quite small!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

Even of you do need to re-register, if you have owned the car more then 6 months in your home country(say poland or the UK) you are VRT exempted anyway. I do think these people need to be forced to re-register after their 6 months on home plates is up, they should pay Irish road tax and insurance like the rest of us!

To be honest though, if I was Polish with a 530 BMW, no way would I want to pay Irish road tax on that and I'd get away with it as long as I could!

MYOB wrote: »
    Except that the equivalent of VRT most places other than here and Denmark is quite small!

and the BPM tax in Holland

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

A big problem is that there is no way of proving how long a vehicle has been in the country for.

Here's my idea:

Both the UK and Ireland (it would pointless unless both countries did this, on account of Northern Ireland), should introduce monitoring of all vehicles upon entry, regardless of the driver's intended duration of import (be it one day or permanently). The registration number (and possibly chassis number) should be recorded along with the date it comes in. Perhaps even intended address details for the driver / owner. The details should be put on a central database shared between both countries and accessible by the Gardai and Police. If the car is subsequently stopped for either a random check, Gardai / Police road block, or for any other reason, there is visibility of how long the vehicle has been in the Common Travel Area for, and therefore putting a stop to drivers who claim that they're here with their vehicle on a short term holiday.

Might it work do you think? I'm just thinking out loud really.. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Ever think about it - how would a building site labourer on 6 or 7hundred a week afford a big and quite new BM7series in Ireland, let alone his own "poorer"country?

Just how exactly do you know the driver of a new "BM7series" with foreign plates is a building site labourer?

Listen up all of ye.

We all pay extorionate prices for the "luxury" of "driving" in this country, well at least the government think it's a luxury, and they take our money in anyway they can.

"Customs", don't make me laugh, they work for the government too remember, a government we hate because of every little red cent that they want us poor motorists to hand over.

VRT - It's a double taxation whatever way you want to look at it, and it makes the government a hell of a lot of money, and they will never give this up.

Road Tax - This does not pay for your roads people, this goes to pay for all kinds of other stuff. Roads is probably the last thing this money goes towards.

Unleaded/Diesel - Believe it or not, this is heavily taxed, and the government is making lots off this too. Whenever the price of this goes up, so does the amount of tax your paying the government.

Toll Roads - Certainly your "roadtax" should be paying for this too, but alas no, we pay for that too. And when it's paid for, ah well, let then drivers keep paying for it, they wont know the difference. If they do know the difference, what are they going to do about it.

Enough ranting, my point is this...
    Anyone of us would love to drive a value for money car, and people in this country and getting ripped off when it comes to driving. We like to shop around most of us for a good deal, and the government tell us to do this, yet they have ways to prevent us from doing this ie, VRT. A tax the EU said shouldn't be there, that is in contradiction of a single market for europe.

Higher roadtax does not make a greener Ireland, has nothing to do with a Green Republic, just green in the governments pockets. Something fair for everyone would be to include it in the price of petrol and diesel, and so everyone has to pay it, regardless of where your from and what your driving. So no-one could avoid it.

VRT should be a once of payment for everyone in the EU, and a set price too regardless of the motors CC output.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Road Tax - This does not pay for your roads people, this goes to pay for all kinds of other stuff. Roads is probably the last thing this money goes towards..

Who ever said it did just go towards roads? Here's the link btw, where does it say "road tax"?

https://www.motortax.ie/

Unleaded/Diesel - Believe it or not, this is heavily taxed, and the government is making lots off this too. Whenever the price of this goes up, so does the amount of tax your paying the government.

Believe it or not we're taxed a lot less on petrol than the rest of Western Europe.

Toll Roads - Certainly your "roadtax" should be paying for this too, but alas no, we pay for that too. And when it's paid for, ah well, let then drivers keep paying for it, they wont know the difference. If they do know the difference, what are they going to do about it.

Again, Road tax?

VRT should be a once of payment for everyone in the EU, and a set price too regardless of the motors CC output.

Once off payment?What do you mean? It's only paid once on the car.

(Newly reg'd) Cars are not VRT'd based on CC anymore.

Reagrdless of your rant, most of the cars would probably qualify as VRT exempt anyway, so could be registered for €50 (?) , so that only leaves the fact that people are not registering because they dont (pick as many or as few as required) want to be traceable/accountable, pay insurance, tax and/or get them NCT'd.

Hopefully it wont happen but I'm sure your opinion might be slightly altered if someone you care about is hit/run over etc by a foreign reg'd car that decides it doesnt want to hang around and even with the reg all the gards can give you is that they cant trace them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

"Customs", don't make me laugh, they work for the government too remember, a government we hate because of every little red cent that they want us poor motorists to hand over.

Poor motorists? I see people in this forum talking about cars worth €20k plus. Heavily taxed yes, but not poor. Tbh, I would call that a "luxury" as an earlier part of your post stated
    Road Tax - This does not pay for your roads people, this goes to pay for all kinds of other stuff. Roads is probably the last thing this money goes towards.

Already beaten to it but just to say the you contributed €0 last year to road tax ever. Is this why it's not being spent on the roads?
    I see this a lot in this forum from many people who realy should know better as they know lots about driving and cars in general

Stekelly wrote: »
    Who ever said it did just go towards roads? Here's the link btw, where does it say "road tax"?

Motortax...you need to have your car taxed to drive on the roads, do you need it for anything else?

Believe it or not we're taxed a lot less on petrol than the rest of Western Europe.

True. But do we, say the UK for example, pay more for car insurance? VRT? Motortax?
    Once off payment?What do you mean? It's only paid once on the car.

Untrue. It paid in the country the car was first registered in. If i go there and buy that car, and bring it home, the car has to be registered again.

Reagrdless of your rant, most of the cars would probably qualify as VRT exempt anyway, so could be registered for €50 (?)

If you have proof that you have owned the car for 6 months previous in another country.
    so that only leaves the fact that people are not registering because they dont (pick as many or as few as required) want to be traceable/accountable, pay insurance, tax and/or get them NCT'd.

Untrue. I recon the first reason people don't want to register is because they have to pay VRT.[/QUOTE]
    Hopefully it wont happen but I'm sure your opinion might be slightly altered if someone you care about is hit/run over etc by a foreign reg'd car that decides it doesnt want to hang around and even with the reg all the gards can give you is that they cant trace them.

That's the situation in any country, anywhere in the world. It's a too generalized statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Motortax...you need to have your car taxed to drive on the roads, do you need it for anything else?.

Do you need car insurance or an NCT for anything else?

Plenty of taxes are collected in various names and go to the general government coffers rather than to one specific area.
    True. But do we, say the UK for example, pay more for car insurance? VRT? Motortax?...

What has insurance go to do with it? Thats a private companies issue what they charge for their product. Theres been plenty of examples on here of insurance being a lot dearer in the UK. Depending on your individual details, it could go either way.

Comparing motor tax rates is well and good but we are not talking about competing companies here, our motor tax rates have nothing to do with the uk and vice versa.
    We lose a bit on tax, make it back on petrol , so meh.

Anyway why use the UK as an example? Why not use Holland? (hint, it would make our figures look great)

Untrue. It paid in the country the car was first registered in. If i go there and buy that car, and bring it home, the car has to be registered again...

You only pay it once on each car though. The car is being moved to another country and has to be re-registered. Hence the name Vehicle Registration Tax.

If you have proof that you have owned the car for 6 months previous in another country..

Cant imagine that being a probelm for most.

Untrue. I recon the first reason people don't want to register is because they have to pay VRT.

How many of them are brand new? Not a lot from what I see.

I came across a guy through work. Polish fella, who when asked about Tax and insurance etc, replies, " I have Andys insurance" (ie none, his name is Andy)

That's the situation in any country, anywhere in the world. It's a too generalized statement.

So?I dont really care about other countries tbh. It's when it happens here that it's our problem. I'm sure you'll be on here saying, "ah sure it's the same everywhere" if it happens to a member of your family.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Stephen wrote: »
    Probably going for the high end stuff because the low end cars will net them bugger all in VRT!
    It will earn them stats which is valuable in terms of justifying budgets.
    craichoe wrote: »
    Yes, but the majority of Foreign reg plates are perfectly legal to drive on Irish roads, in fact you can drive for up to two years on them if you have ties at home and can prove it.

Once you have an address in the country and are registered there you should switch over. Each country in the EU has slightly different rules though, for example if your on the 30% ruling in Holland you can drive for 6 months and have to go out and come back in again.

Just looking at it from another perspective as i have an Irish reg and drive legally on dutch roads.
    If you plan on keeping a foreign registered vehicle here, then you can for up to twelve months but you must inform the VRO who presumably will place you on the National Driver File so that any offences can be traced.
    benifa wrote: »
    A big problem is that there is no way of proving how long a vehicle has been in the country for.

Here's my idea:

Both the UK and Ireland (it would pointless unless both countries did this, on account of Northern Ireland), should introduce monitoring of all vehicles upon entry, regardless of the driver's intended duration of import (be it one day or permanently). The registration number (and possibly chassis number) should be recorded along with the date it comes in. Perhaps even intended address details for the driver / owner. The details should be put on a central database shared between both countries and accessible by the Gardai and Police. If the car is subsequently stopped for either a random check, Gardai / Police road block, or for any other reason, there is visibility of how long the vehicle has been in the Common Travel Area for, and therefore putting a stop to drivers who claim that they're here with their vehicle on a short term holiday.

As it is a taxation matter, the VRO can easily say that VRT is payable on the original Irish retail price (as new) if the owner cannot prove when it was imported. Anyhow, a simple call to Irish Ferries will sort that out if really desired!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

If you have proof that you have owned the car for 6 months previous in another country.

Problem is, that's not all they want. I called my local Revenue Tax Office recently and asked the question. I've just moved from England, brought my car along, etc etc. They don't just want the V5 proving ownership for at least 6 months - they also want proof of residence in the UK (or whatever country you're coming from), for at least the past 6 months. I was told that would be bank statements, payslips, utility bills or whatever else.

But what if the owner of the foreign registered car has been resident in Ireland for say, 6 months, a year maybe? They wouldn't have the afore mentioned documents from their country of original - because they're now resident here! So - no VRT exemption.

I'd say a lot of folk with foreign registered cars in Ireland are in the situation above. They might even have enquired about registered their car here, but not being able to get the VRT exemption might have put them off.

Silly of the government really, to not exempt this people, because they're obviously losing out on Motor Tax revenue from such vehicles. Not to mention the potentially devastating insurance and NCT issues that have already been mentioned.

Do you need car insurance or an NCT for anything else?
    Car insurance and NCT is a specific thing, the money generated from them goes towards what they are. Motortax doesn't.

Plenty of taxes are collected in various names and go to the general government coffers rather than to one specific area.

True. Many refer to motortax as "road-tax" or "car-tax", it's only use is that you NEED it to drive on the roads. Yet, most of it will never see a road. It's a stealth tax pure and simple then, for no use other than easy tax revenue. if it's going to be a tax for coffers, then why not call it VAT. Without the value of course.
    What has insurance go to do with it? Thats a private companies issue what they charge for their product. Theres been plenty of examples on here of insurance being a lot dearer in the UK. Depending on your individual details, it could go either way.

Comparing motor tax rates is well and good but we are not talking about competing companies here, our motor tax rates have nothing to do with the uk and vice versa.
    We lose a bit on tax, make it back on petrol , so meh.

Insurance/Motortax/NCT/MOT/VRT/Fuel...all imputs into motoring, easy to tax the public on. Luxury no more, maybe what you drive yes, but lack of decent public transport(nationwide), and lack of quality driving infrastructure(nationwide). Motorists commuting on crap roads, paying "motortax" for SFA, and not having a planned transport system.

How much of government coffers spend on Port Tunnel to relieve City Centre conjestion? and it serves how much of the population.
    LUAS? Oh yeah, serves how many people.

You only pay it once on each car though. The car is being moved to another country and has to be re-registered. Hence the name Vehicle Registration Tax.

Wrong. You register a car in every country, where it's brought in as new owner. Are we the only greedy little county who fixes the price ot VRT, comparing it to the OMSP to tally up the "Tax".

Cant imagine that being a probelm for most.

How many of them are brand new? Not a lot from what I see.

Some money can be saved from importing, mostly on older motors. Not so much on brand new models, unless there is a waiting list for them here. And fyi, the vast majority of top end models are seized by customs for VRT not paid. Why, cause it's cheaper to buy it across the water and not pay the VRT on it, because the car is more expensive here WITH VRT paid, or more expensive here anyway without extras that push up the price here, that comes as standard elsewhere in Europe.

I came across a guy through work. Polish fella, who when asked about Tax and insurance etc, replies, " I have Andys insurance" (ie none, his name is Andy)

So?

So?I dont really care about other countries tbh. It's when it happens here that it's our problem. I'm sure you'll be on here saying, "ah sure it's the same everywhere" if it happens to a member of your family.

I'm not talking about accidents.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

benifa wrote: »

Here's my idea:

Seems a bit excessive, the UK don't have VRT and are not raping their citizens to the Tune of E2Bn a year, so they would probably have no interest in implementing what would be a manpower heavy and massively expensive system to run. Ireland would need to track every car coming over the Border from the North, and judging by the amount of smuggling that used to go on, that is pretty hard!

On the Road/Motor tax debate. FFS, who cares what its called:confused::rolleyes:, its a tax to drive on the roads, you don't pay it if your car is off the road for 3 months do you?!

As someone mentioned if a person from another country has owned the car there for 6 months they are exempted. If you live in Ireland, you should be paying the same taxes we are, exorbitant as they are.

People are comparing prices to the UK as they are our closest neighbor. All well and good comparing us to the Dutch but look at their public transport and health service etc........

Finally, a lot of my issue with VRT is the Draconian way it is implemented. If you buy a NEW car in the UK, bring it in, you pay VRT. Fair enough. But you also pay VAT in the UK and if the car is less then 6 months old then you pay VAT here too. Not strictly a VRT issue, but double taxation all the same. Free Market my arse.:mad:

Taking other EU citizens cars off them on the side of the road if they are genuinely here less then the allowed time before re-registering is also hardly in the spirit of cooperation in the EU. As someone posted, it takes quite a bit of paperwork before the revenue let you register your car for 50 euro. If you don't have it on you and your car is "luxury" then I bet it gets swiped by customs easily.......

Advertisement