Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Customs Thumbs Up

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

This is what happened my wife. They wanted bank statements, phone and other bills, etc. to prove that she was in the North when she claimed to be.
    She did provide them but not enough to make them believe her!

I expect she wasn't your wife at the time, as that would change the personal tie situation. Otherwise this sounds like a case of the revenue breaking their own rules. In any other area of human activity, the authorities have to show that you broke the rules, here statements from you and your mother etc are not accepted, without any evidence to the contrary. There is probably something vaguely unconstitutional about this.

Generally a NI person can genuinely maintain their personal ties and still work in Dublin because you can be up the the road in an hour and there is no record of when you went. But it would be wise to have evidence of this, when I was in this situation in the past and petrol was cheaper in NI, I always paid by credit card. In the modern situation an eazypass statement might show that you were on the M1 a lot, or get a bill mobile and lock it on the NI networks and send the odd text.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

kbannon wrote: »
    Yup - it was nearly 10 years ago. She had to pay about IR£1k on a poxy little 4yo Pug 106!

Was she going up and down every few days and get stopped by the customs? or was she trying to bring it in under the "i've owned it for more than 6 months rule" ?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

ardmacha wrote: »
    I expect she wasn't your wife at the time, as that would change the personal tie situation. Otherwise this sounds like a case of the revenue breaking their own rules. In any other area of human activity, the authorities have to show that you broke the rules, here statements from you and your mother etc are not accepted, without any evidence to the contrary. There is probably something vaguely unconstitutional about this.

Generally a NI person can genuinely maintain their personal ties and still work in Dublin because you can be up the the road in an hour and there is no record of when you went. But it would be wise to have evidence of this, when I was in this situation in the past and petrol was cheaper in NI, I always paid by credit card. In the modern situation an eazypass statement might show that you were on the M1 a lot, or get a bill mobile and lock it on the NI networks and send the odd text.
    She was going home most weekends and during the school holliers (she's a teacher). There simply weren't enough transactions for the VRO to be happy that he permanent home was NI!
    Was she going up and down every few days and get stopped by the customs? or was she trying to bring it in under the "i've owned it for more than 6 months rule" ?
    She tried to register it here when we bought a house and she was moving South permanently.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

kbannon wrote: »
    She was going home most weekends and during the school holliers (she's a teacher). There simply weren't enough transactions for the VRO to be happy that he permanent home was NI!

She tried to register it here when we bought a house and she was moving South permanently.

That's typical Ireland, she tried to do the right thing and re-register when was coming down permanently and they hit her with a tax bill... :mad:

Advertisement