Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Getting Insured

Options
  • 14-04-2008 10:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I am planning to get insured in my GF's car (1.2 yaris)
    I am on my 1st provisional/permit license while my GF just passed her full test 2 months ago. Also, I am 25 (not sure if this makes a difference or not)

My question is, will Insurance Companies allow this and if so, what cost would/should I be looking at? Just wanted to get a ballpark figure so im not completly clueless when i start getting quotes :)

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭prodigal_son

Id say it would be around 1,200 for the year.

They will do it no prob, but you might double her premium.

I know i got cheaper quotes for my sister on a provisional for the same car with me on a full licence, because shes female and im a guy. Its a bit biased.

You will just have to grin and bare it, and try not to crash..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

I was 25 on my first provisional (before the permit system came in) and went on my dad's insurance, it was only an extra 100 quid or so with Quinn. Her premium might be sky high already so it really depends. Ask her to ring her current insurer and they should quote it over the phone.

PS: I am a girl (so cheaper premiums in theory) but 1,200 as an additional driver as prodigal said sounds ridiculous. Additional drivers aren't rated on the same basis as if you were just insuring yourself, as you're essentially splitting the risk between two people, one of whom is a 'qualified' driver.

ellscurr wrote: »
    PS: I am a girl (so cheaper premiums in theory) but 1,200 as an additional driver as prodigal said sounds ridiculous. Additional drivers aren't rated on the same basis as if you were just insuring yourself, as you're essentially splitting the risk between two people, one of whom is a 'qualified' driver.

I did mean it would go up to 1200, not 1200 extra.

Maybe your dad pays high enough already.

My dad was quoted about 400 - 600 for a car, to add my sister who was 20ish would cost her about 400 - 600 extra, bringing the premium up to about a grand. To add me a 25 year old guy with a provisional, the premium was more than doubled. It went up to 1500 on quinn.

To add me and my sister and another brother would also cost 1500, as that seems to have been the highest risk possible for the car.

They just dont like male provisional drivers, and make them pay. I would be amazed if it only added 100 quid to the premium for him, absolutely amazed., and it would probably be the bargain of a lifetime.

A quick run through the Quinn site showed me that a 20 year old girl, with a Full licence for less than a year would have to spend 1015 euro on Insurance, to add a male provisional 25 year old, the premium shoots up to 1,862, on a yaris 1.3, So my 1200 is a bit of a best case scenario. I payed 1500 for a 1.5 learning, so 1800 seems steep for a yaris to me, but thats what it quoted me..

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Jugs82

Thanks for all the comments, they really are a great help

My GF will call her insurer soon, so ill post any quote i receive afterwards :D

I meant to say "young male provisional drivers".. I learnt when i was 25 not too long ago, I checked every insurance company going.

I ran it through quinn, an early 20s girl with under a years licence, it will rise from 1000, to 1800 by adding a 25 year old provisional driver, thats a quote I got, and thats very close to doubling it.

No, It was 1500 euro for a honda civic 1.5 for my dad with 10 years driving and me aged 25 on a provisional, it rose from 600, Thats what i said, I went on to say that adding a 25 year old on a provisional was the exact same as adding 3 people with provisionals, as they seem to see it as the same risk.

For a 1.3 which i did check quotes out on about 6 months ago, it would have been 1200 for me on my dads with 10 years driving, I assume best case scenario for them will be around that price, and thats if she already has a low premium.

Yeah, and tell us what it originally was, cause my guess is, if its originally low, it will get doubled, if its originally high, it will come close to getting doubled.

If they do better than that, they are getting a very good deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

To insure my bf for one month on my insurance cost e300. He is young male driver, 1 years no claims bonus, provisional license.
    So just saying it could be very expensive!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭bangersandmash

I know a 17 yr old male on a provisional who's insurance only cost €100!

It was as a named driver on a farm policy though - he drives a commercial jeep

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

I got put on the gfs car a few years ago the day i got my provisional in the post. She put me down as a partner and the insurers had a deal for partners. it cost €111 extra to put me on the policy.

Funny that i recently got insured as a named driver also on a relatives micra and cost €300 even though i have a full licence and same insurer as the last time. Was strange.

The partner deal was great and worked out really cheap for both of us. You may have to say you live at her address but theres no big deal with that i guess and you may already live with her anyway.

Ring around and see

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Brendan552004

My daughter aged 18 on a driver permit has just got insured on her own 1.4 L car for 1050 euro which includes student discount and 500 euro excess in the case of an accident. If she does not have a crash in her first year she will receive a 30% bonus next year. The insurance company required a copy of her student card and the registration certificate for the car to prove she was the owner.

Brendan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Jugs82

Sorry it took so long for me to get back with the quote i got, its been a hectic few weeks :rolleyes:

I got on my GF's nsurance for €149 - thats for 6 months and its with AXA

Just to recap:

GF has full license for 3 mts and is 25 while i am 25 too but on my first learner permit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

They just dont like male provisional drivers, and make them pay. I would be amazed if it only added 100 quid to the premium for him, absolutely amazed., and it would probably be the bargain of a lifetime.

It's not a question of them not 'liking' young (17-25) male drivers (provisional or full licence), it's the fact they're six times more likely to have an accident. That's the nature of insurance premiums.

Advertisement